Another carpet cleaner hits the Groupon in Sacramento

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
It could be worth it....When they schedule, the person the business side of the phone should start mentioning the other services before the Tech ever gets out there...get them ready and thinking about it.

Where I won was the Tile Cleaning...we did several with tile ...some with upholstery and plenty had more rooms.

Not very many places have just 3 rooms of carpet..unless they are apartments...then you have to charge for heavy soil or pet stains etc.

This is all mentioned in the phone call.

We DO clean for price but every situation is different.

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
You can't compete unless you drop your insurance, bonding, any and all advertising expenses, etc. It's tought to be profitable with those prices and expenses.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Those aren't their prices...those prices are just the step in the door...I don't mean that in a bait n switch kind of way...it's more of a "try to do more than the minimum" kind of way.

You don't have to be pushy to upsell. Like Crowley said, just offer them the services you provide and let them make the decision.

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
with starting prices like that I would say bait and switch for sure. Get in the door for cheap and try and get what you can out of them after you're in. You can do more than the minimum without having hack prices.

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
520??? How are they gonna get that done? Sounds like a nightmare with people canceling because they may not be able to get out to everyone, I saw each room has to be under 300 sq ft...brutal

royalkid

Supportive Member
Name
Gulf Coast Carpet Care
yeah, each room up to 300 sq ft...YIKES!!! Could possibly clean 900 sq ft for $25! excuse my math, but is that .02-.03 per sq ft??? Ace that!! Hope he can upsell like crazy. I guess with 500+ he's building his custy list, but damn, those types might not be too hip to paying $120 next time...maybe?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Bee Busy said:
520??? How are they gonna get that done? Sounds like a nightmare with people canceling because they may not be able to get out to everyone, I saw each room has to be under 300 sq ft...brutal

Just think of all the upset customers that will be calling us to "Save the day"?

We will of course tell them "what did you expect? Someone to clean your carpets for $25.00?"

At the very least, things like this get people thinking about carpet cleaning...just like a Stanley Steemer commercial...and we all benefit from that.

We may have to do some damage control....but that's just par for the course.

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
Hacks like that make people think all carpet cleaners are the same so they will just look up the next hack in the phone book and get treated the same because we all know there are more hacks out there than quality cleaners or go rug doctor. You may be glad they are around cause you get to do damage control and look like a hero if they call you but they are only hurting you by giving them the thought that all cleaners are the same and they go out and rent a rug doctor so they don't get ripped off again.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
If you buy a crappy car do you think all cars are crappy?

If you get a crappy plumber, do you think all plumbers are crappy?

I'm telling you, it works the same with carpet cleaning.

The worst thing that can happen is a guy does a really good job for $25.00....goes out of business and then the customer calls you a year later saying "well the last guy did it for $25.00 how come you can't?"

Of course your response is "that's why he's out of business".....but they will probably still look for a guy to do it for next to nothing...then he'll go out of business etc.

That's our worst problem in my opinion.

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
Brian R said:
[quote="Bee Busy":8gmzm6tu]520??? How are they gonna get that done? Sounds like a nightmare with people canceling because they may not be able to get out to everyone, I saw each room has to be under 300 sq ft...brutal

Just think of all the upset customers that will be calling us to "Save the day"?

We will of course tell them "what did you expect? Someone to clean your carpets for $25.00?"

At the very least, things like this get people thinking about carpet cleaning...just like a Stanley Steemer commercial...and we all benefit from that.

We may have to do some damage control....but that's just par for the course.[/quote:8gmzm6tu]
Yeah..u make a good point, but we're gonna get some annoying calls. Like Chris said, these guys make us all look bad as an service industry and the trust with the public keeps going down.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I'll let Full Circle handle that. :lol:

Trust going down only makes them try harder to find THAT company.

They only need to use us once and they will keep using us.

A bigger problem would be too many quality carpet cleaning companies and they would be keeping all their customers.

That may be a little far fetched...but think about that.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
For the record....I've submitted to be listed in Sac and in Dallas about 5 times each.
They put you in a pipeline and then approve you when it comes close to your turn.
This is when they pick the lower priced guy unfortunatly.

I would love to sell even just 100 at my 3 rooms $79.00 deal...but they rule the roost...what can I do? lol

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
Brian R said:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/always-gre ... ed_sidebar

Bill, do you know this guy? Is he an O/O or does he have employees?
I may have to give him a call....when he's not so buy. :lol:

I'm curious to see how it works out. I called the last guy in Sac who did Groupon and he said it was just OK.
He only sold 150 or so if I remember right.
No I've never heard of him...I've talked to some friends as well and they don't know who he is..

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
745 now...good grief

Thats $18,625.00 that he will get from Groupon

If he does 6 jobs a day it will take him 125 days to get them done.

The fear is losing your regular customers or new regular customers while your cleaning Groupons.

If he has help, it could still work but I'm not sure about the upsells part...not sure there will be time left. lol

smastio

Name
Steve Mastio
VCipollone said:
WOW! Something to ponder for a newbie!

IMHO it's not just for newbies... Veterans of the industry "probably" know how to up sell better, run the business better and clean more efficiently... seems like an opportunity to me. Just think of the referrals that can be had. Ivebeensold

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
could be a winner....could be devestating....I guess it's all how you prepare for it and handle it.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
VCipollone said:
A newbie can handle the 750 new customers.

Maybe...but it's the customer service part that could be the killer.
How many people will he upset in the process of "fitting" everyone in?

I've said before that people buying Groupon plan on waiting some...I believe people buy the Groupon because they don't want to miss the deal and will wait to use it or give it away.

So really I would say go for it....it beats the hell out of not having any customers.

Name
Lee Stockwell
How quickly do you get paid? The "winner" will need to invest a lot of time and cash into this venture up front. And don't be fooled by "upsells and referrals" because they likely WON'T happen.

Repeat work will be groupon repeat....at an even lower price.

Thanks,
Lee

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
The upsells do happen...if you offer them.

It was about 15 days the first time I did the deal of the day for the first payment...then 30 then 60 for the final payment.

They may be doing that differently now...the Groupon store pays out almost right away but you have to redeem the Groupons...not sure if you have to redeem the Groupons on the deal of the day now...but you didn't then.

Really the money made off the initial deal was less than what I made off the upsells etc.

Don't do the deal if you don't do the upsells....in my opinion.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
You should run a deal Shorty and let us know how it turns out.

As long as you know what you're getting into.
I didn't look at the site for very long but it looks similar to the Groupon deal.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Nah mate, they operate some twelve - thirteen hundred miles south of me, same state, but!!!!

'cides, I got enough work to keep an old fart happy. !gotcha!

Happy New Year all.

Ooroo,

shiteatinggrin

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom