Any of you convert your homes or shops to Solar?

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
I got solar a couple of years ago, my utility co had generous rebates that covered most of the cost of the panels & installation, In the San fernando Valley during the summer my electricity was costing almost $500 a month, now its less then $50, it cost me $7000 & the utility kicked in $15,000 in rebates...simply my $7000 is going to save over $40k over the next 20 years...its a no brainer.

Next week my Tesla arrives, the car will be fueled (100% electric) from the gift of the sun & wont cost me anytime at gas a station, I had to fill up today in Brentwood & it was $4.88 a gallon.of that 72 cents a gallon is tax that goes to the government to waist & another big chunk goes to that mafia in the Middle East called OPEC.

Elon Musk is chairman of solar city & founded Tesla & Space X, he built & sold Paypal a few years ago as well...he is someone to follow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikey P

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
did you buy the big 95k Tesla?

Yup!

You can spend even more if you get the performance+ option, that runs up to $120k
View attachment 2432
ZoomButt.gif

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
First you legalize hippie lettuce, now you want to power everything with the SUN...

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
Did you buy the performance with the 85k battery?

That car is sick, I hopefully will be getting one soon!

I got the 85kwh battery mostly for the extra range, the performance is a rocket, its incredible for a heavy sedan of its size...0-60 in 3.9 seconds, so the standard is fine for us, guys are clocking the standard 85kwh in the low 4 seconds. The 60kwh battery is plenty for most people that don't road trip a lot, we already planned a road trip next month, its from LA up to the Tesla factory in Freemont & then back down the coast, its roughly 750 miles & it will cost ZERO, 3 simple stops at the Tesla superchargers while we grab a snack is all we need.

Range is 300 miles if you drive 55mph, 265 miles if you go 60-65mph & 220 miles if your 80 mph & driving like you stole it.

added

The Tesla Superchargers are spaced between 100 & 150 miles, California has almost full coverage today & the rest of the country will have over 200 superchargers over the next year. http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

Last edited:

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
What is expected life span of the solar panels? What will they cost you to replace them when they go bad?

Mikey P

Administrator
huh??

you mean the drive from Fremont to Gilroy will drain your Evereadys?

Charge the thing at Tesla and come over HWY 17, you love the curves.

Mikey P

Administrator
What is expected life span of the solar panels? What will they cost you to replace them when they go bad?

Solar City has a plan where they provide, install AND maintain the panels at no charge. BUT you'll only be receiving a 20 to 30% reduction on your utilities bill that you will now be buying from them.

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian

40 years, I will be dead by then, they get cheaper every year, Solar city & the other solar companies offer lease programs, they monitor, clean & repair if needed your system since they technically own it over 20 years, by leasing you make payments to them that are less then what would have gone to the utility company. Electricity rates go up every year, I think mine goes 8% annually. so why not get free clean energy from the sun?

My math...save 40k over the next 20 years in electricity payments to the utility co & save another 30K over 8 years driving a electric car, not like the other electric cars like a Nissan leaf, we are talking about a luxury sedan with incredible performance, technology( check out the 17' touchscreen, its a giant IPAD that controls all aspects of the car). Tesla model S recently was awarded Motor Trend Car of the year unanimously (first time ever) Consumer Reports gave it a score of 99 out of 100...highest rating ever!!!

Tesla is coming out with the model X next year, its an all wheel drive SUV, in about 3 years the will have a more affordable car, think of the current model S as a BMW 7 series & this newer one along the lines of a BMW 3 series...around 35K-40K.

Last edited:

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
huh??

you mean the drive from Fremont to Gilroy will drain your Evereadys?

Charge the thing at Tesla and come over HWY 17, you love the curves.

No, I don't need to charge at Freemont, just in Gilroy for the drive down the coast while we have dinner.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
While we get a lot of sun we also get a lot of wind, it's a rare day there isn't a decent breeze. With a 120ft Wind Turbine I'd guess 20mph would be pretty consistent.

Just wish I could afford one.

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
Most people don't have solar on their homes yet so it costs around $5 to charge an empty battery off of the grid, still a lot less then $75 for gas (for a luxury sedan, not a Prius). Many people charge at their work for free & some will stop at a Tesla supercharger a couple times a week & charge for free there. In a few years Tesla will have battery swapping stations, you drive in & robots underneath take your low battery & replace it with a full on in 90 seconds (they will charge $ for this convenience) http://www.teslamotors.com/batteryswap

So if you don't have access to free energy it will cost you around $5 to charge at home, way less then gas without the hassle of a gas station, your money wont be going to OPEC & for the tree huggers zero emissions...no poison out of the tailpipe!

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Unfortunately the government cheese for solar projects has dried up in our State. I'd recommend grabbing a sweet deal while you can, but find out what your liabilities are if the subsidies are cut off.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Oz it's solar aka the sun. Do you guys even know what that is? :p

Coming to you live from beautiful sunny down town Topeka, Kansas.

smiley-happy026.gif

Sunny_zps307c9306.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
It's been sunny here for a whole month.

We do have rain power (hydro) which would be so cheap that everything here would be electric, but some places with high power costs demanded the government raise our rates to subsidize theirs. The gubment also subsidized wind generators here until they found that there is more power being generated than anyone can use and they cut off the subsidies for wind generation as well. The wind farm owners sued for lost income, so they are now being paid to shut down their generators.

Not everything that requires a subsidy to make it work is crap, but electric programs all seem to be run badly.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

barefoot

Name
Dave Sigler
Solar City..Yes!. Got it.

Solar City is like the " Walmart" of solar companies. Virtually no one beats their price!
Thats pretty much a fact and a "competitor" told me that. Shop around.

My Solar City system cost me $6300. Generates $840 dollars in electricty.
Simple math 6300/$840= Break even in 7.5 yrs.
Years 7.5 to yr 20 save $840/yr

If you do it..please give me you email first so we could maybe split the $400 referral fee. Yes its really a $400 referral fee!

Fine print:

20yr prepaid lease. I got zer0 tax credits. Hey...I'm a broke dick carpet cleaner. I dont need the credits.5.2 kw system My roof is virtually perfect for an solar. Faces due South and also 1 huge area w/ almost perfect slope.
Your break even point or "monthly savings may vary depening many various factors"

Dave

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
Just signed the contract for the pay as you go system with Solar City. Zero cost out of pocket.

Takes six months to get set up what with dealing with surveys, county permits and installation but worse case scenario I'll be saving $120 on my monthly PGE bill and 52k +/- over the next ten years with current rate increases of 12% each year factored in.

as far as the Tesla, I think Ill hold off for now and continue to use pedal power on my off days.

it is cool though..
http://youtu.be/8_lfxPI5ObM

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
Thats great Mike, accepting the gift of light to power your home is a great feeling. Its frustrating that more people don't get solar, any house with west facing backyard in a sunny state should have solar...enjoy.

Picked up my tesla Wednesday night & plugged her in for the first time this afternoon, I plan on doing lots of driving this weekend.

Do a test drive Mikey, it will blow you away...its a silent rocket!

I put some equipment next to it to prove a carpet cleaner really owns one :winky:

View attachment 2517

Last edited:
Reactions: dealtimeman
Back
Top Bottom