Any verdict on Smartstrand??

Able 1

Name
Keith
Haven't heard much about it lately.

I have a manager of about let say 350 units and the carpet installers are telling her that Smartstrand is the best thing out. Right now they have Nylon in most of there units and it cleans up great but it's getting too expensive to replace it(pets are allowed). These apartments are "high end" so the carpet has to look great for the amount they pay in rent.

I would just hate for them to replace a bunch of them to find out that it is garbage and have to replace it after one tenant.

I cleaned some about a month ago that was a year old that looked horrible in the traffic lanes, are you guy finding this? They were sold this white smartstrand by being told that it doesn't "ware" like other carpets. :roll: I told them to have the installation company come take a look because it looked horrible for being 1 year old.

From what I have seen this stuff is junk, what is your take on it?

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Last I read here it seemed to be ok sofar. I think my post was named "corn carpet". I'm not sure enough time has gone by though.

Hopefully someone that cleans a lot of this stuff will chime in.

Albert

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I wonder if the carpet still kills bugs after it’s processed into a polymer with all the systemic pesticides they add to corn.

Systemic Acquired Resistance (SAR) :shock:

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Mikey P said:
Still very happy with our two bed rooms worth of it.

Any carpet should hold up well in a bedroom situation.

Anybody have it in a well trafficked Living/Family room with some kids and pets thrown in for good measure?

Have you cleaned yours yet?

I have done a few for a retailer here that has a tendency to oversell it a bit.
They somehow forget to tell the consumer that eventually it is going to get dirty.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
one of our accounts has a higher-end complex .
'bout 10 years ago they went from nylon to olefin crAp on the recommendation of their carpets sales rep.. :roll:
and quickly discovered what a BIG mistake that was.

'bout 4-5 years ago they went with the "new improved" polymer wonderfiber.
It's held up pretty well .
i should note though, this complex is well maintained with low turnover rate .
All the clientele are older folks or professionals with no kids ...it's rare to see anything but light/moderate soil conditions .
So the jury is still out, but the couple/few we've seen so far clearly hold up to traffic better than the olie/poly crap

..L.T.A.

Mikey P

Administrator
one of my bed rooms is our office, lots of swivel chair and doggie action.

Been wizzed on more than once

cleans up and wears just fine

Mike Draper

Mikey P said:
one of my bed rooms is our office, lots of swivel chair and doggie action.

you wiz on your carpet? gross!

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Who doesn't?

I spilled coffee on the carpet the other day and got all happy that I had the opportunity to remove th stain.

I'm not sure I've seen one smartstrand carpet. Probably wouldn't know it if I did.

Googly

carpet-frieze.jpg

John Buxton

I get the hype from a retailer " I can pour bleach on it without a problem" So what? You can pour bleach on olefin but it still looks like shit. I dont like it. The looseness of the fibers looks bad to me. Give me a nice dense nylon.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Mike Draper said:
[quote="Mikey P":27yor9wz]one of my bed rooms is our office, lots of swivel chair and doggie action.

you wiz on your carpet? gross![/quote:27yor9wz]

I am more curios about the doggie action going on in there :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

bensurdi

Name
Benjamin Surdi
Smart strand has been around for 8+ years and has a TON of different weight options. We're installing it in our new house with 10lb pad and it is extremely soft and thick.

I've cleaned one house that had smart strand and was very thick- it cleaned just like any other nylon would have, no disappointments.

supersoaker

Name
Michael Malandruccolo
The stuff is garbage, just glorified polyester. It's damn soft though.

High use areas will still have traffic lane gray when you're finished cleaning it. Only 1-2% of my customers have the stuff.

It cleans a little better than poly and sounds funny under the wand, kind of like you're tearing it out.

With that being said, I will be installing some Karastan smart strand shag in my basement next year. I love how it feels plus I will maintain it.

Dmreed4311

Supportive Member
Name
David Reed
I work for a 500 unit complex that uses it and the traffic areas crush and forget about the edges of the stairs, it cleans up fine but those traffic areas crush down. They have started calling them one and done at the complex because it seems like they have to replace every carpet after the resident moves out. I have a pile lifter that works miracles on nylon but the stuff doesnt lift

Able 1

Name
Keith
The reps have now told this Prop. manager that nylon prices are going up and pretty soon nylon won't be available..? REALLY? They also told her all the carpet installed will be under warranty, REALLY?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom