Anybody used this tool?

Scott Rogers

I use it as my main UPH tool. Yes it has a trigger. Its a internal jet. Cleans well and is easy to use. Tom Cermak recommended it to me 5 years ago and I have been very pleased with it.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Thanks Shorty, Scott and Richard.

I guess I'll have to buy back that SS tool from you Richard. That is, of course, if I was interested (like some) in a tool that is more into making the noise of "cleaning" :winky:.
How much would you like?

Shorty, was that tool uncomfortable for you cleaning upholstery or drapes (which makes sense regarding the height?

Also from the link it seems like that the jet is not in the vacuum air flow, but contained in a covered area. Does that work well? Is dripping (over wetting) an issue?

Last edited:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
It is a CFR, no dripping, its a decent tool. I prefer the the old Drimaster over the CFR. It is good technology but would 3 or 4 on my list of upholstery tools.

#1 Sapphire
#2 The Old Drimaster
#3 Prochem
#4 CFR
#PMF Cheap Imitation cheapo valves but good value if you don't clean alot.

That's actually very reassuring Richard.
As always, you may yet prove to be the best guide I found, as to what I should buy, via reverse order :eekk:
Since I like the PMF the best, and didn't like the SS (and my old Drimaster is collecting dust) , it seems like I should buy the CFR as it is next in line (your second least favorite.)

For future reference and purchases, in other words to make my life easier, which of the truck mount units do you hate the most? :winky:

Last edited:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Come on Doc. Throw us a bone.

Think about all the time it will save me.
And all that pondering gives me wrinkles!

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Ok that electric beast prototype those poor saps prepaid for. That dude...umm dud would have to bottom of the list. Then anything with a secondary fuel source, followed by any builder that doesn't sell at least 100 machines a year.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I looked at the CFR at Connections in 07. I went specifically to buy an uph tool to replace my orig Drimaster. I didn't like the free flow design with the drimaster and found that when I was really trying to clean a fabric it was getting overwet. That and the "jet" slot was starting to get a sharp edge to it and was starting to catch on the fabric.
The CFR felt even heavier than the HK tool and I wasn't convinced it would work any better than the new Drimaster, although it is built out of Stainless which means its a tool that isn't going to break any time soon.
Back in 07 I had the choice between the new Drimaster, the Prochem with a glide (which guys were bragging about at that time), the CFR, and the Hydrokinetic. The HK had a teflon head which means no snags even on the finest of material. Sapphire was still a dream at that point.
When I did test the Sapphire, I liked the weight, the feel, the angle of use, recovered well...
but I didn't like the "build" ie how it was put together, the quality control, the water flow was a little erratic, and it seemed to pull too much fabric into the slot (stretching it a little).

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Thanks Richard, I was hoping for something more specific, but that will have to do :razz:
So, I should look for pre-paid eelctric and or secondary fuel source and less than 100 per year.

Ron, I never actually cleaned with the HdroKinetic, so that is good to know. However, snagged fabrics were never an issue for me with the PMF (as always, I check the head) and the fact that it is metal is fine, I always protect the wood edges. The PMF though is very maneuverable and can reach any crevice, turns and parts. The HK seem cumbersome to me and definitely looks like reaching certain areas will be an issue.

And Richard is right the PMF valve is junk and the jet sometime goes out of whack. But for me, when it works, its the best.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
The CFR was too heavy for me and the length of the tool was too long, for me, the balance was not good, it made my wrists ache.

I say wrists because I use both hands when cleaning upholstery. Ambidextrous little bugger I am. :icon_razz:

One of my mates that had one & raved about it, but he was also a lot bigger than me.

I was just never comfortable with it, plus I always had fears of the relief valve on top snagging fibers.

I also had the hose kink and finally crack in the middle of a job, luckily, (back then), I had the old original DriMaster on board.

My favorite tool is still the HydroKinetic with the Sapphire a very close second.

I sold the DriMaster Mk !!, but still have the old original one which I can use all day, albeit a bit slower.

With much of my equipment, it's a personal thing, if I like it, it works well, and it's comfortable, I'll keep it.

Otherwise, it's another lesson that's cost me a few more dollars.

:very_drunk:

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
I have the tool and like it. it is always on the truck. Mostly as
a back up and primary tool for auto uphol.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
David,
What's your primary upholstery cleaning tool?
And why was this relegated to backup status?

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Then anything with a secondary fuel source, followed by any builder that doesn't sell at least 100 machines a year.

We don't sell 100 TM machines a year . . .

but we stand beside our top quality components,

and easy serviceability.

I do agree with you on using Heat Exchangers, as long as they are large enough.

Back on Upholstery tools, I do prefer the Sapphire Tool with a slight modification for more even spray.

Larry

Last edited:

MattLimbach

Name
Matt Limbach
I have a cfr tool. It cleaned well, dried fast, but could be somewhat uncomfortable and awkward after a while, but.... I haven't found any tool yet that isn't.
The head on ours is 3 inches. Can take awhile, but does a nice job, even on heavily soiled fabric.

I was going to buy a seven inch head for it,to speed things up on the large areas, such as the backs of sofas,large cushions, etc, because the heads are quickly interchangeable.
Before I got around to ordering the new head, the valve broke on it, and I had a hard time finding one for it, so we went back to our old internal pmf.

We have like 2- 3.5" external pmf , 2- 3.5" internal pmf , 1 - 4.5" internal pmf with hide-a-hose, the 3"cfr, a Kleenrite tool, and our newest Sapphire tool.

As stated above, the valves on the pmfs are junk. The valve on the cfr is junk. The Kleenrite "awkward sob" has blown two internal hoses @ like $40 a piece.

The Sapphire is all we use now, only about 6mo old, so far so good.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
the Hydrokinetic. The HK had a teflon head which means no snags even on the finest of material. Sapphire was still a dream at that point.
When I did test the Sapphire, I liked the weight, the feel, the angle of use, recovered well...
Ron,
How do you handle the edges, the corners and piping with the HK tool? It seems so cumbersome?
(I was in Steve Marsh class too, but did not try that tool, At the time he was recommending the US product tool, that I really did not like.)

Also, to avoid over wetting, do you wet clean only on the pull?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom