anybody willing to share their hiring list of questions?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I don't do the interviews, Dan or Steve usually do them.

They like to keep it loose and informal so the prospect feels comfortable and is more likely to let you know more about themselves. Dan says most people will continue to talk if he remains silent. This is where some will hang themselves.

Tell me a little about yourself?
Listen, let them do the talking.

Does physical work bother you?
Carpet cleaning, fire & water damage work is often hot sweaty work.

Are you able to work odd hours? This business requires we work evenings, weekends, holidays, is that a problem for you?
Might as well get it out in the open, so later they can’t say you didn’t tell them.

Do you have a valid driver’s license?
Funny, well not really but several times we hired a prospect only to find they have no valid license.

What you’re looking for:
Someone that makes a good first impression, professional appearance, likeable that can put homeowner at ease.

Honest, hard working, does not cut corners

Good communicator, quick on their feet, able to think problems through

High performance with a low tolerance for mediocrity, cares about the quality of work and what it means to the company.

Warm sensitive, has respect for others.

Willing to take responsibility for their actions

Have you thought about hiring through a Temp Agency? You give them the qualifications, let them find you the best candidates, they do the background checks. Then you interview them to pick the best one of the bunch. If that guy doesn't work out you call the agency and tell them you don't want him back and you need your second choice if he is still available.

Works pretty good gives both you and the candidate a chance to see if it's going to work without making a full commitment.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
:lol:

I would agree with not hiring experienced tech's, it's far easier to train a new tech than to break the bad habits of a tech that thinks he knows what he is doing.

Connor

Name
Connor
I had a guy come in for an interview, gave his experience and job history, I noticed that for about three years he said he worked in Texas, which just didn't sound right because he told me that he'd lived here his "whole life". I looked his name up on the state Dept of Corrections. Three years for cocaine distribution and possession and a couple of other things. !dork!

Jay_wat

Supportive Member
Name
Jay Watson
Connor said:
I had a guy come in for an interview, gave his experience and job history, I noticed that for about three years he said he worked in Texas, which just didn't sound right because he told me that he'd lived here his "whole life". I looked his name up on the state Dept of Corrections. Three years for cocaine distribution and possession and a couple of other things. !dork!

"distribution" is a form of work,,,no??? :mrgreen:

Connor

Name
Connor
Jay_wat said:
Connor said:

"distribution" is a form of work,,,no??? :mrgreen:

Yes, but he totally omitted that from his work history, along with his three year unemployment stint. :mrgreen:

Cameron1

What's 10 times 10

What's 10 +10

What's 10% of 100

How many cubic feet in a room that's 10 by 10 by 8

Try it! It will blow your mind.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Do you have a high school diploma or GED

Where do you see yourself in 5 years <---- that one a lot of people you'll find actually tell you their real plans, and whether they'll stick around or not. A lot of 'em fumble up there if they talk long enough.

Brian H

Name
Brian H
Mikey,

We don't hire "chimps"... That's your first mistake!! You have to treat a guy with respect, including how you refer to that position to others.

I don't really need to ask any standard questions. 90% of the time I can size up whether a guy will work out or not based on the initial hand shake and the first 30 seconds of small talk to break the ice. I am not looking to hire a cleaner, I am looking to hire a people person. Someone that is friendly, clean cut and personable. The cleaning is easy to teach.. you can't teach someone to be friendly.

When I interview, I get away from the text book questions because you will get back rehearsed answers. I like to throw zingers at them, stuff that they have never been asked before. Take them out of their comfort zone. You will get a much better idea of who they are.

Conner,

The exact reason to ALWAYS run a criminal background check before hiring anyone.

Also, like others have said, I don't hire people that have worked in our industry. The times I have broken that rule and gone ahead and hired a "good guy" that has prior cleaning experience, it's not worked out.

Oh and my idea of a guy working out is at least 10 years.

7 guys with 20 plus years experience with us
14 additional with more then 10 years with us.
and so on....

Joe Appleby

Supportive Member
Name
Joe Appleby
Mike, put these in writing and have them fill it out. Make a copy for them so they know
why you may not of hired them.

How much do you weigh and how tall are you?
Did you finish High School?
How old are you?
What church do you belong to?
How old are you?
Where were you born?
Do you have any sicknesses?
Are you married?
Any kids?
How many times were you sick last year?
Are you a citizen?
Who are you voting for?
And of course, are you pregnant?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Things you're not allowed ask.

1. What you can't ask: Are you a U.S. citizen?

Although this seems like the simplest and most direct way to find out if an interviewee is legally able to work for your company, it's hands-off. Rather than inquiring about citizenship, question whether or not the candidate is authorized for work.

What to ask instead: Are you authorized to work in the U.S.?

2. What you can't ask: What is your native tongue?

Finding out about a candidate's native language may seem like a good way to find out about their fluency, but you may offend applicants that are sensitive to common assumptions about their language. Additionally, as an employer, it's not your concern how the applicant attained fluency in a language — just that they are fluent.

What to ask instead: What languages do you read, speak or write fluently?

3. What you can't ask: How long have you lived here?

Familiarity with local culture may be important to the position, but it's important not to ask about a candidate's residency in the country or region directly. Rather, ask about their current situation, and they may volunteer information about their past along the way.

What to ask instead: What is your current address and phone number? Do you have any alternative locations where you can be reached?

Religion

Religion is a subject that should be treaded upon lightly at the office, and even more so in interviews. Protect yourself from overstepping the boundaries but still get the information you need with these questions.

4. What you can't ask: What religion do you practice?

You may want to know about religious practices to find out about weekend work schedules, but it's imperative that you refrain from asking directly about a candidate's beliefs. Instead, just ask directly when they're able to work, and there will be no confusion.

What to ask instead: What days are you available to work?

5. What you can't ask: Which religious holidays do you observe?

Again, scheduling is important, but don't risk stepping on toes to find out what you need to know. Simply confirm that your interviewee can work when you need them to.

What to ask instead: Are you able to work with our required schedule?

6. What you can't ask: Do you belong to a club or social organization?

This question is too revealing of political and religious affiliations that candidates are not required to share such information with potential employers. Additionally, this questions has little to no relation to a candidate's ability to do a job. For this question, it's important that the wording focuses on work.

What to ask instead: Are you a member of a professional or trade group that is relevant to our industry?

Maturity is essential for most positions, but it's important that you don't make assumptions about a candidate's maturity based on age. Alternately, you have to be careful about discrimination towards applicants nearing retirement. These questions will keep you in the clear.

7. What you can't ask: How old are you?

While it seems like a simple question, it's in fact quite loaded. Knowledge of an applicant's age can set you up for discrimination troubles down the road. To be safe, just ensure that the candidate is legally old enough to work for your firm.

What to ask instead: Are you over the age of 18?

8. What you can't ask: How much longer do you plan to work before you retire?

Again, asking this question opens up discrimination troubles. While you may not want to hire an older worker who will retire in a few years, you can't dismiss an applicant for this reason. Instead, see what the candidate's plans are for the future; they may plan to work for a number of years.

What to ask instead: What are your long-term career goals?

Marital and Family Status

These questions primarily concern women with children, but they're applicable to everyone. Ensure that you don't make assumptions, and avoid embarrassing candidates by using the following questions.

9. What you can't ask: Is this your maiden name?

This question, like many others, may seem innocent and simple, but it's off-limits. A woman's marital status isn't something that's required to be shared with employers. Instead, verify whether or not she's gained experience using any other names.

What to ask instead: Have you worked or earned a degree under another name?

10. What you can't ask: Do you have or plan to have children?

Clearly, the concern here is that family obligations will get in the way of work hours. Instead of asking about or making assumptions on family situations, get to the root of the issue by asking directly about the candidate's availability.

What to ask instead: Are you available to work overtime on occasion? Can you travel?

11. What you can't ask: Can you get a babysitter on short notice for overtime or travel?

Don't make the mistake of assuming that a candidate has children or that they don't already have proper child care plans. As with many other questions, the key here is to ask directly about availability.

What to ask instead: You'll be required to travel or work overtime on short notice. Is this a problem for you?

12. What you can't ask: Do you have kids?

This one is for positions in which the candidate may work with children. The added experience of children at home may be a bonus for you, but it's not an employer's place to ask about this. Rather, inquire about the candidate's experience, and they may volunteer this information to you anyway.

What to ask instead: What is your experience with "x" age group?

13. What you can't ask: Who is your closest relative to notify in case of an emergency?

Although not especially offensive, this question makes assumptions about the candidate's personal life. They may not be close to relatives and instead prefer to list a friend or caretaker.

What to ask instead: In case of emergency, who should we notify?

14. What you can't ask: What do your parents do for a living?

Asking a candidate about their parents can reveal a lot, but it's not directly related to their future performance in a position. However, if you are trying to find out if your candidate's family has traditionally worked in your industry, this question is a good way to find out.

What to ask instead: Tell me how you became interested in the "x" industry.

15. What you can't ask: If you get pregnant, will you continue to work, and will you come back after maternity leave?

Ultimately, you want to invest your time in a candidate that will stick around, but you can't ask a woman to share her pregnancy plans, or lack thereof, with you. Discuss her general plans for the future to gauge her commitment level, baby or not.

What to ask instead: What are your long-term career goals?

Once you've reached the interview stage, a candidate's gender is almost always clear. It is important, however, to ensure that you don't make assumptions about a person's abilities based on this information.

16. What you can't ask: We've always had a man/woman do this job. How do you think you will stack up?

Leave gender out of this question, and you should be fine. Inquire about th applicant's ability to handle the job, but don't ask directly about how being a man or woman could affect it.

What to ask instead: What do you have to offer our company?

17. What you can't ask: How do you feel about supervising men/women?

This question, although it may seem like a valid concern, is not acceptable. The candidate may not have any issues working with the opposite or same sex, and you'll seem crass for even bringing it up.

What to ask instead: Tell me about you previous experience managing teams.

18. What you can't ask: What do you think of interoffice dating?

The practice of interoffice dating can be distracting, break up teams and cause a number of other problems in the workplace. But asking this question makes assumptions about the candidate's marital status and may even be interpreted as a come-on.

What to ask instead: Have you ever been disciplined for your behavior at work?

Health and Physical Abilities

Your employees' health and abilities may be essential to getting the job done, but it's important to avoid assumptions and discrimination. Stick to these questions in order to avoid embarrassment and legal troubles.

19. What you can't ask: Do you smoke or drink?

As an employer, you probably want to avoid someone who has a drinking problem or will take multiple smoke breaks throughout the day. It's even a concern for insurance. Instead of asking about this directly, find out if they've had trouble with health policies in the past.

What to ask instead: In the past, have you been disciplined for violating company policies forbidding the use of alcohol or tobacco products?

20. What you can't ask: Do you take drugs?

This question is just a simple confusion of terms. Your interviewee may think you're asking about prescription drugs, which is off-limits. Make sure you specify that you want to know about illegal drug use instead.

What to ask instead: Do you use illegal drugs?

21. What you can't ask: How tall are you?

In a labor environment, height may be essential to the job, but this question is too personal. As with many of these questions, it's best just to ask directly about the candidate's ability to do what's required of them.

What to ask instead: Are you able to reach items on a shelf that's five feet tall?

22. What you can't ask: How much do you weigh?

This highly personal question is embarrassing for most and is not necessarily relevant to a candidate's ability to do even a physical-labor job. Avoid making assumptions, and ask about abilities directly.

What to ask instead: Are you able to lift boxes weighing up to 50 pounds?

23. What you can't ask: How many sick days did you take last year?

No one wants a flaky employee, but even the most dedicated workers get sick every now and then. Take a look at missed days as a whole to measure the candidate's commitment.

What to ask instead: How many days of work did you miss last year?

24. What you can't ask: Do you have any disabilities?

Disabilities, whether they're physical or mental, may affect a candidate's ability to do the job, but it's critical that you avoid asking about them. Rather, find out if the applicant can handle doing what's required.

What to ask instead: Are you able to perform the specific duties of this position?

25. What you can't ask: Have you had any recent or past illnesses or operations?

Again, gauging commitment is important, but illness isn't something that most people can help.The answer here is to make sure that the candidate can perform the job while avoiding questions about his or her physical abilities.

What to ask instead: Are you able to perform the essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodations?

Miscellaneous

Avoid interviewing gaffes by sidestepping these questions about residence, legal troubles and military service.

26. What you can't ask: How far is your commute?

Although hiring employees who live close by may be convenient, you can't choose candidates based on their location. Find out about their availability instead.

What to ask instead: Are you able to start work at 8 a.m.?

27. What you can't ask: Do you live nearby?

If your candidate lives outside of the city your company is hiring in, it may be necessary to have them move to your area. But again, you can't discriminate based on location. Rather, find out if the applicant is willing to move closer to the office.

What to ask instead: Are you willing to relocate?

28. What you can't ask: Have you ever been arrested?

In sensitive positions, like those that deal with money, you may want to find out about your candidate's legal fortitude. But ensure that you ask only directly about crimes that relate to your concern.

What to ask instead: Have you ever been convicted of "x" (fraud, theft and so on)?

29. What you can't ask: Were you honorably discharged from the military?

A bad military record can be illuminating, but you can't ask about it. Instead, ask about the candidate's experience, and they may volunteer this information on their own.

What to ask instead: Tell me how your experience in the military can benefit the company.

30. What you can't ask: Are you a member of the National Guard or Reserves?

Losing an employee to military service can be disrupting, but it's critical that you don't discriminate based on assumptions of a candidate's upcoming military commitments. Find out what their plans are for the short term instead.

What to ask instead: Do you have any upcoming events that would require extensive time away from work?

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
HIRE AMERICAN CITIZENS

DON'T BE A DOPE SMOKING LIBERAL WHO WANTS TO ENCOURAGE ILLEGALS TO LIVE HERE.

THEY DON'T NEED A BREAK IN LIFE , THEY NEED TO GET THE FOOK OUT OF OUR COUNTRY.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Joe Appleby said:
Mike, put these in writing and have them fill it out. Make a copy for them so they know

How much do you weigh and how tall are you?
Did you finish High School?
How old are you?
What church do you belong to?
How old are you?
Where were you born?
Do you have any sicknesses?
Are you married?
Any kids?
How many times were you sick last year?
Are you a citizen?
Who are you voting for?
And of course, are you pregnant?

THis is a joke right?

Many people made a good living finding employers that ask questions like many of these and suing the hell out of them.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Connor said:

convict-racist!

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Broadway Joe said:
Have you thought about hiring through a Temp Agency? You give them the qualifications, let them find you the best candidates, they do the background checks. Then you interview them to pick the best one of the bunch. If that guy doesn't work out you call the agency and tell them you don't want him back and you need your second choice if he is still available.

Works pretty good gives both you and the candidate a chance to see if it's going to work without making a full commitment.

Richard,
Here, at least in the San Francisco area, the only agency that will do it is Labor Ready. And according to articles about them and such they are a story on their own.

Tony Neville

Name
Tony Neville
My Favorite questions are

1 What has been your biggest success/ achievement?

2 What was your biggest failure? If you had it to do over what would you do differently?

Lets you know what they picture as success and failure also whether or not they even gave any thought about how to improve themselves.

Tony

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Joe Appleby said:

What church do you belong to? Who are you voting for?

Freedom of religion and voting preference are:

NONE OF YOUR GODDAMNED BUSINESS. PERIOD.

I'd sue your ass and own you on that ignoramus based bullshit. You can't hire or fire on religious or superstitious beliefs or political affiliations. WTF kind of question is that? The rest are pathetic and stupid, but those 2 shine.Not in a good way.

You better take that joke list , after you retrieve it from your posterior, (careful not to dislodge your head) and get a lawyer to review it or open yourself up to losing your business from some "prospect" that WILL sue you. And own you afterward.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Here, at least in the San Francisco area, the only agency that will do it is Labor Ready
Yea they don't have a good rep here either. That's very odd, we have at least a couple of agency's that supply temps to us, there are also several like Labor Ready that supply just grunt labor (not anyone you would want). and several that supply corporate office temps .

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
First question always asked of every applicant regardless of the position they are applying for (employee or contractor)
q: Tell me why I would want you to work with you?
a: because i am dependable, hardworking, etc....
my response: No, you misunderstood- why would I (personally) want you on my team? and you can't answer like you are a truck commercial.
This usually disarms the person and their body language speaks volumes as to whether or not the interviewer would want them.

Most of our contractor applicants are already experienced. Obviously we ask to see certifications, list of classes they have attended, equipment they own, etc...

final question is : We are looking for people that are able to communicate effectively and efficicently to our customers. So give me a quick 30 second elevator speech that will make you stick out in my mind after i have finished the 30 other interviews for this position. Again - you can't sound like a truck commercial. GO!80% fall apart at this point because they have not been trained for this sort of interview.

I hope this helps. somewhat amus

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Willy P said:
[quote="Joe Appleby":4hzt8kor]Mike, put these in writing and have them fill it out. Make a copy for them so they know

What church do you belong to? Who are you voting for?

Freedom of religion and voting preference are:

NONE OF YOUR GODDAMNED BUSINESS. PERIOD.

I'd sue your ass and own you on that ignoramus based bullshit. You can't hire or fire on religious or superstitious beliefs or political affiliations. WTF kind of question is that? The rest are pathetic and stupid, but those 2 shine.Not in a good way.

You better take that joke list , after you retrieve it from your posterior, (careful not to dislodge your head) and get a lawyer to review it or open yourself up to losing your business from some "prospect" that WILL sue you. And own you afterward.[/quote:4hzt8kor]

Yo!
Willy!
Cool it down.
Have you ever heard of a dry sense of humor?

If not, read Joe's post again.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
We usually run an employment ad that includes a pretty complete description of the job and what we're looking for to help potential applicants cull themselves out. For example, we'll say this is an active job that requires a certain degree of athleticism. Wanna-be lawyers and ex-government workers don't apply.

Post interview, let people know that if they're chosen you will contact them. If you don't hire them you won't. Seems insensitive but keeps you from trying to say something nice that they can use against you.

If you buy an HR professional a few drinks, they'll admit that hiring is always a crapshoot. Top headhunters often have no better record of success than the average stock broker, so just move on if a hire doesnt work out.

Bob Foster

Dig deep and thoroughly into his references and past employers. That will tell you a lot more than any answers he has to your questions.

Name
I'm Rick James
The Great Oz said:
We usually run an employment ad that includes a pretty complete description of the job and what we're looking for to help potential applicants cull themselves out. For example, we'll say this is an active job that requires a certain degree of athleticism. Wanna-be lawyers and ex-government workers don't apply.

Post interview, let people know that if they're chosen you will contact them. If you don't hire them you won't. Seems insensitive but keeps you from trying to say something nice that they can use against you.

If you buy an HR professional a few drinks, they'll admit that hiring is always a crapshoot. Top headhunters often have no better record of success than the average stock broker, so just move on if a hire doesnt work out.

I can only imagine how many ex Steemer folks applied at D.A Burns. You guys do a good job on hiring and retaining employee's, in the 13+ years working in the Puget Sound I haven't heard a single bad thing said about Burns.. Top notch company in my opinion.

Ross Buettner

Name
Ross Buettner
Although I do not have any employees I was a branch manager for a wholsesale group/warehouse before I did this.

When you're asking people questions, they are storming for answers. If you watch their eyes and they are looking around they are thinking or on the course for lying.

Mikey, you're looking for someone who will do what you want them to do... and be receptive. This allows you to plant a seed, spray a little water, slap them on the back of the head, and prevail. It's what everyone wants.

So...Ask them a question that really doesn't have an answer. Mine was always, "Why in your opinion is a manhole round?".

You want someone that's going to give it a split thought, look at you, and say... I don't know.

If you get someone who will have theories about it, babble constantly, and almost die to answer it? You've got someone that more than likley is going to do everything BUT what you want them to do. Thinking outside of the box is good, but not when it comes to doing what method you prefer most. They will harass your custies with anything that involves upselling, or avoiding a problem.

Just try that question... see what repsonses you get. Your gut will tell you 95% of what you need to know about them (unless they are stoned).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom