Are we better off with just a few good chemicals!! Or....

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Are we better off carrying just a few good chemicals (+ a few specialty ones) that will service us well in most situations...helping us avoid carrying all these different products.
Or, will we achieve better cleaning results if we carry products designed for the specific job.

This thread is meant more for the Owner Operator that knows his staff well.( not the multiple employees situation that may require simplification.)

Manufacturer's and suppliers opinions are welcome. Also, this is not about any specific company, it is just an issue I've been struggling with for a long time. And tried doing it both ways.

For example, I had a discussion with Bob Foster, who I know is a great cleaner. Bob says that for almost all of his cleaning needs Judson's O2 system will do just fine. Of course with some additional products, minor adjustments like adding boosters etc; and adjusting the technique. (Assuming, for example, that he will apply less of the pre spray on upholstery to avoid over wetting etc.)

Will I achieve better results on upholstery, for example, using a fine fabric upholstery pre-spray and a specialty upholstery rinse??
As said above this is not about Judson, as they are a fine company.

Your opinion and experience will be appreciated.

Bob Foster

Re: Are we better off with just a few good chemicals!! Or..

I would say the more delicate the fabric the more selective a person might need to be.

Recently at a Textile Pro hands on training session with Lisa Wagner and Jim in Pittsburgh at Pembertons we did some testing on fringes and noticed that the specialized products worked better than what I would call more universal products.

DSC05174.jpg

DSC05173.jpg

DSC05180.jpg

DSC05178.jpg

DSC05179.jpg

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper

What's the product on the left(fringe) foaming up real nice?

Just a few products is better for us.

2 pre sprays, 2 rinse, 2 upholstery shampoo, everything else spotters or boosters.

Bob Foster

In this particular situation with a cotton fringe you could see about 7 or 8 types of cleaners used. Don't be mislead by the other various spotters etc you see in some of the pictures.

Some of the solutions we used on the fringes included but were not limited to CTI, Bridgepoint, MasterBlend and Sapphire. And all these companies make good products.

Yes there was one outstanding prespray that was obvious from the row of test areas. And it illustrates the point that a specialized cleaner can and did work better than an upholstery prespray or a carpet prespray. And that section was cleaned with a specialized cleaning agent.

Your question deserves and answer ,but I am not going to make this thread about brands but will stay on the point of the topic Ofer started.

If you care to know what cleaning agent it was may I suggest you PM Lisa Wagner or Jim Pemberton or start another thread by asking then your very good question. Both could offer very valuable insight.

RGH269

Name
Bobby Hales

Some manufacturers have a "system" for every fiber type and or soiling situation, it just isn't practical to carry that many products. I normally carry three presprays one for normal soiling one for heavy soil and an enzyme for the greasy ones along with a rinse and one extraction cleaner. My regular prespray also covers the majority of furniture.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton

I carry a few carpet pre-sprays and a few different carpet cleaning detergents.
However, I do carry a few specialized pre-sprays for upholstery and a few other products as well. It is a loaded chemical shelf.

The question, however, is: Do you guys that do carry the specialized products can tell the difference in the cleaning results?

I can not say for sure that they clean better. As I have never done a side by side comparison.
I carry them because I think that some are designed better for the job and are less likely to cause issues.

Can I say with 100% (or even less) certainty that they do clean better?
No.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton

Storm Warning said:
http://theevacuator.com/

Bob What if anything have they said about the cleaning them on the vacuum table? It looks good but wondered what the consensus is.
Hey Stormy,
Were you abducting my thread :shock: ?

Not that it was all that popular. Just checking your etiquette :p

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner

I carry just a couple presprays now, O2, +mod, S&G when I get some more, and Attack. Then I have some spotters and rinses, the most range is with deodourizers.

hogjowl

Idiot™

I too am one who only carries the O2 line. With the possible exception of oriental rug fringes, I can't think of one thing I normally encounter that can not be cleaned with the prespray and sometimes the booster added. In fact, I really don't see the need for Slop and Gobble.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton

Anybody actually try cleaning side by side (with specialized and non specialized cleaners) to see if there is (or not) a difference in the end results?

And what would make it even more valuable, any difference in the re-soiling rate?

hogjowl

Idiot™

LOL ... resoiling rates ... unless the resoiling happens within an hours time frame, no cleaner is going to know the difference.

rhyde

Name
rhyde

Storm Warning said:
http://theevacuator.com/

Bob What if anything have they said about the cleaning them on the vacuum table? It looks good but wondered what the consensus is.

it works but looks very slow and low volume/ productivity

neutral detergent in warm water and a scrub brush works well for us

Bob Foster

I have not personally seen this machine and have only watched some of the videos.

It was at the last Rug Lovers Tour where many rug cleaners offered their feedback. The manufacturer is making changes and adding products with this in mind.

rhyde

Name
rhyde

I've only seen the video so i have no real world experience with it considering we have a 30Ft wash floor and wash 3- 9x12 at a time or more smaller rugs it looks painfully slow. It seems best geared for the occasional rug cleaner not anyone needing to clean volume.

Any idea how long it takes to clean 9x12 with it?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton

Marty said:
LOL ... resoiling rates ... unless the resoiling happens within an hours time frame, no cleaner is going to know the difference.
At the risk of putting my foot in my mouth, Marty (that is even considering taking you seriously :p.)

I did a three and at my home.

That is exactly how I was able to decide that the myth that pre-sprays followed by an acid rinse, do a better job, is well.........a myth.
It did not work any better than rinsing or cleaning with a good in line detergent. Tried it right by my kitchen and living room. Three times. Perpendicular and horizontal to traffic patterns. No resoling difference whatsoever. Once changed to client's homes slightly less recalls with in line detergent. (though stastistically that is negligible, as I hardly get any.) Fabric did feel softer with the acid rinse though- WOW.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom