Are you good at math? Look at these numbers.

This thread is for owner ops or wanna be small time mulit truck businesses.

Charging higher prices will increase your NET. That is a fact. A good owner op should be netting close to 70 percent. The more you gross the lower your net will go down with or without employees. If you use part time help that number will go down. With full time help it goes down even further.

Let's say you have a helper that you pay 15 percent for jobs you are on and 20 percent for jobs done solo by the tech. That averages out to around 17 percent. Now lets say the tech averages 500 dollars per week in salary or you do 3k per week as an average or just under 150k per year. That means you are doing 12k per month in sales.

We will assume you are keeping 60 percent becasue to do that volume you are going to need to spend at least 10 percent on advertising and marketing. In reality you are only going to keep 55 percent, but we will say 60 percent. You have to pay your help 17 percent of the gross or 12,000 x .17 = 2040 or 2000 to keep things simple. Your net on 12k per month at 43 percent which is 60 percent minus your help's pay is 43 percent which comes out to 5160 dollars.

Now lets say you do 2000 dollars less per month as a one person show. Now you are doing 10k per month, but you keep 60 percent. If you are good, charge more, and get a decent amount of referrals your net will be closer to 65 percent. So 60 percent of 10k is 6k dollars. You just made almost 850 dollars more than with a helper and higher gross.

If you average 200 per job, that means you have to do 10 jobs per month more to make less money. Wait that is wrong. You will have increased fuel usage, chems (that is dirt cheap), wear and tear, advertising and marketing costs so really now you are doing 12-13 jobs extra per month to again make less money.

Ok so let's say you really want to hustle and do 200k. You are going to need help. You will also need to spend money on advertising and marketing. Your help averages 17 percent. You keep 40-45 percent depending on how much advertisng you do, but we will say 43 percent again. That is 86k net on 200k gross.

In the one man show scenario you grossed 120k. Remember your job average is 200 dollars. How can you do 200k with a 200 dollar job average? You are going to need to run a second truck some and be efficient. You need to average a thousand dollars per day 200 days out of the year. You are not going to keep 43 percent if you run the second truck much. Now you are really closer to 75-80k per year net.

The difference between 200k and 120k with a 200 dollar job average is 400 jobs.

If you gross 120k per year, keep 60 percent, you just netted 72k dollars.

Is it worth doing 400 extra jobs per year to make 5k-10k dollars more?

By the way I made a 35 on the ACT math section, did three semesters of college calculus (I forgot most of what I learned unfortunately), and can compare cost analysis.

If you want to get rich, you need to loose all ideas of building a large company. You will get murdered unless you figure out a way to cash the equity out. That is very risky becasue you may only get 20 percent of what you feel your company is really worth. Then again you may be able to sell your company. I wouldn't base my retirement on that though.

You need to work hard, live meager, invest, and rely on repeats.

If you want to make more (250k real money per year), you better have other sources of income, find a new profession, or be prepared to run 10 trucks.

CleanEvo

I know a couple of owner operators in town that have been doing this for 25 years plus each. They've both expanded to multi truck operations during that time and then reverted back to owner operators. They didn't make more money and had way more headaches and fires to put out. They both make more money as owner operators.

I'm still considering which way I want to go. There are times where a second truck would be nice, but it just wouldn't pay for itself over the whole year.

I think it depends on where you're located as well.

Great post Daniel!

The simple answer is get a good machine that will allow you to dual wand and single wand.

Do most of the jobs yourself and get help on the bigger jobs.

You can do 200k to make 85k with a full time helper, or you can do 120k (400 less jobs) and make 75k.

If you average around a hundred dollars per job, you might as well just commit suicide if you are running and expensive truck. The three room 89 dollars deals have to go. You can still make money, but you better work with a rug doctor from the back of a saturn.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Well done. Your numbers are right on from my experience. I have started to hit the wall with growth. I think I would be wiser to invest money into anything but the business expansion form this point on.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I came to this conclusion decades ago. Lisa W will call you an anti-success type. If you're booked solid and your customers love you and you work hard and stay fit and healthy and you have all the money you need, you can call it what you want. I call it messin with the Hook.

m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOyj4ciJk34m]

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
This is what I have been saying for years.

Bigger isn't neccesarily better or a bigger bottom line.

Some disparage me for only being one truck.

I say having more trucks doesn't make my company better or more profitable.

( I've had multible truck for many years)

Seems you have to either go big (like Ken)or go small (Owner Op)

The middle grownd can eat you up alive.

vernonpurcell

ACE said:
Well done. Your numbers are right on from my experience. I have started to hit the wall with growth. I think I would be wiser to invest money into anything but the business expansion form this point on.
Are you agreeing with his marketing budget?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
vernonpurcell said:
ACE said:
Are you agreeing with his marketing budget?

Markeing budgets can vary a lot.

Mine is less than 3%

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
That is one possibe scenerio, not fact Daniel. Many other ways to manipulate the numbers to reach whatever scenerio the author wants to achieve. All you have to do is manipulate the # of jobs, add a second man on the truck, do over 300k out of that one van and voila the net is much, much more than your scenerio.

I am not judging what is right or wrong for anyone, just don't fall into the trap of there being one right or wrong way to make a living in this business. The only fact that really exists is that or "facts" are really opinions- including mine :-)

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Run one truck and sub out any overflow....if you get "too much" overflow...start a second truck...or just keep subbing the overflows.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Thanks Dave, but I wasn't really even thinking of my model (at least not intentionally). I just get really wary when I read something that starts with the word "fact". The other triggers for me are 'as everyone knows", or "as you well know".

No one really knows what someone else knows. Half the time I don't know what the heck I know.

Ken Snow said:
That is one possibe scenerio, not fact Daniel. Many other ways to manipulate the numbers to reach whatever scenerio the author wants to achieve. All you have to do is manipulate the # of jobs, add a put a second man on the truck, do over 300k out of that one van and voila the net is much, much more than your scenerio.

I am not judging what is right or wrong for anyone, just don't fall into the trap of their being one right or wrong way to make a living in this business. The only fact that really exists is that or "facts" are really opinions- including mine :-)

Here are the facts. I can never do 300k with one truck even if I had twelve people on it because I spend half my time driving all over town. I said this thread was for owner ops or small multi truck businesses.

Here is a simple scenario and why my helper needs to find a new job except for making extra money helping me on big jobs.

I can do 10k per month on average and realistically make that happen, keep 60 percent, and net 72k per year.

Or I can have a full time helper that averages 17 percent, do an extra 2k per month which means 10 extra jobs, keep 43 percent and make 5160 dollars or 850 dollars less money. That is not taking into consideration the extra three dollar per gallon fuel, the added marketing and advertising costs, and maintenance so really I will have to do 12 more jobs per month to make 850 dollars less money repeat or not.

Ok let's go for big numbers. We bust ass and do 20k per month. I keep 43 percent or 8600 dollars. An owner op should be keeping 70 percent or close to it. If are trying to grow, then you will need to spend more on marketing so you will keep 60 percent. If you have part time help you will keep 55 percent. If you are established with part time help you will keep over 60 percent.

Ok with a helper doing 20k will net the owner 8600 per month which is awesome money assuming you have everything paid for. All tools, trucks, and equipment.

If you work hard and efficient and average 12k per month as a solo operator and keep 60 percent you will make 7200 dollars. That means you did 40 less jobs assuming you average 200 dollars per job to make 1400 dollars less.

The numbers don't lie.

The owner op that thinks they need a hose puller better think again. You better find a 50 dollar per day helper or do this gig solo because you will work twice as hard to make the same thing or less.

If you have a big truck payment, spend a thousand per month or more on advertising, have reasonable rates, you are doomed to fail or you might as welll work for Mcdonalds and cut grass on the side in the summer.

Your real profit comes from higher pricing.

F

FB7777

Dave Yoakum said:
This is what I have been saying for years.

Bigger isn't neccesarily better or a bigger bottom line.

Some disparage me for only being one truck.

I say having more trucks doesn't make my company better or more profitable.

( I've had multible truck for many years)

Seems you have to either go big (like Ken)or go small (Owner Op)

The middle grownd can eat you up alive.
I don't think anyone here is disparaging you for being a 1 truck owner operator Dave

We are disparaging you because you run cheap 4 room specials after 30 years ,have been claiming to have marketing GOLD, get $1500- 2K in NEW business per week for over the last 5 years

and yet still run a broke dick 1 truck op

We disparage you because you are full of shit :mrgreen:

joe harper

Name
joe harper
What are you going to do...NEXT WEEK..??? "Dan"

You are all over the place,,,,,,,"With your BIZ modle"...Make up your FreeKinG mind...!!!

Ps .."NO o/o retain's 70%"

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Typical Fred.

Has to pop up after most of my posts (I think he has a mancrush on me along with Crowley)

4 room specials?

I mail special offers to previous clients.(I don't recall ever a 4 room special, Usually free Br traffic area with 3 rooms or more cleaned.)

They rarely even ask for the special.

It just reminds them to get something done.

If you search my company "carpet cleaning lincoln ne " on Google you can see why I get many calls from the net and they don't question price.

The Internet has been good to me. but it didn't really take off until this year. Especially after Oct 27th when Google changed.

And yes I did have 16 employees for many years why would you doubt even that?

Sorry not trying to hijack this thread.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
HARPER said:
What are you going to do...NEXT WEEK..??? "Dan"

You are all over the place,,,,,,,"With your BIZ modle"...Make up your FreeKinG mind...!!!

Ps .."NO o/o retain's 70%"

40% sounds about right

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
thats why i like my stripping side of the biz.....

if i had to rely on 1 or the other for my $$$ i would kill my self...

nice to work 3 days a week avg and gross 70k....this yr i think i am planning on cranking on it more...kids are getting damned expensive now :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

FACTS:

200 dollar job average

60 jobs per month done solo keeping 60 percent is 12k gross or 7200 dollars

200 dollar job average

100 jobs per month or 20k gross done with a helper keeping 43 percent is 8600 dollars.

You made 1400 dollars more but wore your truck out, spent 80 hours more assuming each job takes 2 hours not counting drive time.

Is it really worth it?

If you do 50 jobs per month, make a truck payment, average 125 per job, gross 6250, keep 50 percent or 3125 dollars, you are a hack and need to re-think your business plan or find a new career.

Harper I actually know what I am doing. I make good money and will make more because I am smart enough to know what it takes to make a real profit. And yes an ower op will keep 60-70 percent if eveything is paid for. You loose 30 percent in labor right off the bat so that is why you keep 30 percent.

That's still good because most franchise restaurant owners only keep 10-15 percent

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Daniel maybe smart at arithmatic but can't spell.

LOOSE?

LOSE!

joe harper

Name
joe harper
One Problem here ...Danny Boy................

How many job's can ...."YOU"....do a week when ...."YOU".... are in the hospital...????

If .."YOU".. are hurt or sick.. "YOU" are "ouT oF BuSinEss".....!!!!!!!!!!!

There are so many FLAWS in your #'s....it is scary....!

THE biggest FLAW in you #s are...."The complete disregard for REALITY...."

I realize you are young...and perceive yourself as SuPerMaN...
However...one day..."You will realize that to try to support a family on those principals.!"
Would be at best sUIcIdaL......

I understand your #'s...as a BUDJET or PROJECTION...!
But in real LIFE..."It aIn'T gOnnA HappEn.."...:(

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
That is your reality Daniel, it doesn't have anything to do with facts of the world. In my world adding an asssistant increases revenue at least 50%. Doesn't mean my or your world is better, they are just different.

Ken
Ps When I become committed to my own perspective it becomes my reality, a self fullfilled prophesy. When I open my mind and experience others views as well as mine, the whole world looks different.

Ken I just showed how doing 20k per month with a helper versus 12k per month solo as an OO will only net the owner 16,800 more dollars for doing an extra 480 jobs per year plus all the extra time and expense it takes to complete those 480 jobs. That is assuming you have a 200 dollar job average.

The point of working for yourself is to make more and have time off.

Ken you can make it work because you can keep a truck in one zip code all year long.

A one or two truck operator simply will not make more with help as opposed to doing it solo with slightly higher pricing.

This is not my opinion. It is a fact.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Numbers can be different in theory than in practice.

I found that my helper more than pays for himself.

I gives me more time to focus on the client and more time to find and fulfill their needs.

Which equals to more sales, higher totals and more time to complete the added work.

It's all money!!

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
There are flaws in your logic Daniel but I believe you feel that you are right and it is okay.

Ken
Ps our crews are in many zip codes each day, no one works in the same zip all day let alone all year.

My goal this year was to gross 150k.

I was going to pay my help 15 percent for jobs we are both present on and 20 percent on jobs he does solo and averages 17 percent of the gross pay.

In order for us to do this I was going to let him use my second truck to do rentals while I did other things.

I am going to assume running the second truck just a little will make the net go down to 40 percent from 43 percent but it is likley to be less than 40 percent.

40 percent of 150k is 60k dollars. Not bad.

Now working alone doing 8k per month or 96k keeping 60 percent will net 57600 dollars.

That means I will have to do 270 more jobs per year plus all the extra time to make 2400 more dollars.

150,000 - 96,000 = 54000/200 dollar job average ='s 270 more jobs.

That is a lot of jobs to make 2400 more dollars.

There is no way I am taking that business path.

I hope I didn't kill some of you guy's hopes, but the numbers don't lie.

I am disappointed I just realized this. I really like working with my friend. If he continues to work for a weekly salary then I can keep him on, but I know he needs to make more. His wife makes 90k per year. He should at least be able to make 40k but I can't pay that. I can but it doesn't make good business sense.

I am going to start a new thread to get some feedback on what I can do with this second truck and a new company.

That is where we can both make decent money and not hurt my profitability.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
You already pointed out your are assuming a 200.00 job average... Crank those numbers up. Our average on the low side would be about $275.00.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom