Are you lowering your prices ?

Tony Dees

With the Economy being down are you lowering your prices or just offering more of a discount for your clients.

Thinking about lowering 5 cents on Scotchgard and 5 cents on my cleaning

What are your thoughts and what are you doing.

I currently get .25 psf on Scotchgard and My basic cleaning starts at .45 psf

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Tony Dees said:
With the Economy being down are you lowering your prices or just offering more of a discount for your clients.

Stick with your prices except on your regular clients who "need" a discount.

Don't get caught up.

You have already made money on those clients so it's ok to take a little hit if needed.

Pedro

I think lowering prices lowers value. I know when I do a job I do it to the best of my ability and if I knew I could be earning more, it's always in the back of my mind, that I should be making more and not on doing the best job. Just my two sense.

Pedro

Name
I'm Rick James
Tony Dees said:

I agree with Brian, dont get caught up in the economy downward spiral. I know nothing about your business, if you are a smaller company or larger company, how long you have been in business, if your sales are down. But offer the value of your service. People will always need to have their carpets cleaned, if you need more clients offer a bigger discount but keep your prices the same. Im sure your prices are what they are to cover overhead and make a profit.

Rex Tyus

If you "drop your prices" just for the sake of doing so, it will more than likely NOT magically bring you more sales. If you do it with an overall marketing strategy designed to reach a larger customer base in an order to increase your volume,or offer The right specials it can be done. There is not a simple do it, or not do it answer.

Rex

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
You know, I don't base my prices on what I feel I am worth or how the economy is doing. I do it based on how busy I am in my busy season. If I charge .45 psf and am sitting on my ass half the time, I would feel I am overpriced. Now, if I am am busy every single day (like I am ) in the summer, I feel I am priced in the right range. I would much rather be out working than sitting on my ass. I need the exercise not to mention feel like I am being productive. Alot of guys brag about charging high prices, yet I probably make more money, go figure. If you are busy, no need to lower your prices. My spring is probably picking up sooner than normal, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Rex Tyus

Doug you make a good point we often forget. The most costly time is down or unproductive time. $200 an hour is not that good if someone is only working 4 hours a week.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
yes i have lowered some of mine.

and to quotes i sent out in recent years, and they went with some1 cheaper, i re-emailed / re-faxed them all newer, lower quotes.

CarpetKING

Wow I cant believe people actually pay upwards of 75cents for carpet cleaning and scotchgard. Not a knock on your prices at all. If you can get that much thats great. I just don't see how someone could justify paying that much per s/f for carpet cleaning. So at that rate your average house with 1000sf of carpet would be worth $750. Wow.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I like the way Doug put that, and I agree with him.

Over the years, I have seen some pretty wild claims on the boards about prices. I am sure that many of them are correct, and a few, of course, are lies. The thing I have to keep reminding myself of is that for almost every claim of high prices, there is an unusual market to support it. For instance, I have seen some pretty wild prices coming out of the Virginia and DC areas, but when you look at that market, the income levels there will support those prices. Then, on the other hand, I used to know a guy in Tennessee who made some really wild price claims, and he is no longer around. Bad market, I suppose.

You don't see anybody from Alabama or Mississippi saying they get 75 cents a s.f. to clean and protect.

If you do, they're lying.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
CarpetKING said:
Wow I cant believe people actually pay upwards of 75cents for carpet cleaning and scotchgard. Not a knock on your prices at all. If you can get that much thats great. I just don't see how someone could justify paying that much per s/f for carpet cleaning. So at that rate your average house with 1000sf of carpet would be worth $750. Wow.

Check out what carpet costs installed. Real carpet, not lowes garbage.

If you are looking for an elite feels good extra detail carpet cleaning service $750.00 is a great deal for a thousand sqft house especially if that person paid $10,000 for their carpets.

CarpetKING

I'm sure there are people that pay 10k for carpet but in most cases its in very large houses with lost of s/f. I just dont believe the average american family is gonna cut mr. carpet cleaner a check for 750 and look at the misses and say "wow honey we just got a great deal." There are about 4 or 5 cleaners out of the 100 or so in my area that claim to get 0.30 cents s/f as a base charge but they do not seem to be overly booked. I believe in providing the best possible service for as much as I think I can get (or as much as I think is fair) but when it comes right down to it we are carpet cleaners and most people do not see value in paying 3 or 4 times as much as they have to in order to use an "elite" service.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Have dealers slashed the cost of gasoline simply because of the economy?

How about clothing, milk and eggs, cell phone service, insurance, tires, printer paper and ink, Internet access, water and electricity, groceries, or any of the menu items at Carrabbas, Olive Garden or Outback, or for that matter, carpet?

Has your mortgage gone down in price? Is it getting cheaper to send a letter or watch cable TV? How about the price of a movie ticket or a cup of coffee?

If they can't afford to, how can we?

Wayne,

The price of gasoline has dropped significantly because of the economy, speculators have figured out people will not be paying that so are pulling their money. It wasn’t magic the drop, I know plenty of other factors are involved but gas prices are half of what they were

Clothing stores are slashing their prices along with other retailers and business

Food Stores are moving to more economically priced lines and bigger sales, my food bill is 25% now than last year and I am not eating less.

My mortgage has gone down considerably my rate is based on the T-Bill and I down to about 3.75%

I have FIOS for TV, internet and telephone and I am saving about $50 and if I wanted to switch to another company it would still be cheap they are dropping prices

All restauranta are dropping prices stop into Carrabbas and look at the economy choices as well as chilis in the insert in their menu go to the british beer pub and get yourself a whole family meal for $20 , look at Outbacks 15 meals for under $15.00 promotion http://outbacksteakhouse.com/ TGIF 10 meals for under $9.99 promotion. Starbucks has started dropping prices in locations.

Car prices down

I think it is disingenuous for people to say don’t drop your prices because you lower your value. People got to eat. I am with Rex, explore it and make it part of your marketing plan.

Discount stores sales are way up, McDonalds, Burger King anything that will save the consumer money is going gangbusters. All the others are GOING OUT OF BUSINESS.

I usually get one call a week about my business from a carpet cleaner and I try to give my opinion(it is tough to demonstrate over a phone) I have gotten 4 this week. They all hang up on me and tell me I am F&^&ing nuts but that is Okay. :) I think people are hurting and should explore what everything they can so they don't have to get a job and can continue to work their business

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
You couldn't find someone to disagree with you, Greg, you so you import one of your own? lol

At least take it in context and include the rest of the post.

"Just MHO, but the value your customers see in what you do is influenced by their preception of how much you value it. I can see creating incentives, I can't see cutting prices on your staple services.

If someone needs what you have, wants what you have and values what you have they'll buy what you have. They can always adjust how much they buy to what they can afford. If they're existing customers they won't like gouging your living anymore than they like being gouged.

Luckily, I've only had two customers outwardly express a concern about the economy and the cost of cleaning. And, both suggested cleaning only the traffic lanes to keep the cost down without me saying a word."

Actually, I'm not so sure we're disagreeing.

Have your local independent dealers dropped the price of gasoline at the pump simply because the economy is tight while their cost remains the same? No. Are they intentionally taking a beating at the pump? No. When their cost drops, the retail price drops.

Retailers have sales, that's an incentive, and that's always been part of the program. Nothing new there.

What does your variable rate mortgage have to do with this conversation?

Did the bank switch you from a fixed to a variable because of the economy?

Is Verizon offering dicsounts to keep you? Last time I looked it worked out about the same regardless of who we use. The only difference are the temporary incentives to get your business. Good economy or bad, as competition increases they're forced to add more value to compete. This is nothing new.

Restaurants around here aren't dropping their menu prices. They introduce specials, like they always have, but regular menu prices haven't budged except to increase. Neither have the lines, we're waiting just as long to get a table as we always have.

Car prices are down, in large part, because now you have to do more than fog a mirror to qualify for a loan. And, the cost and commitment of an automobile is slightly more than the cost of a carpet cleaning, don't you think?

My point is simple. Our costs are not dropping. Sales, discounts and incentives are one thing, and we do that too. Dropping your price on the staple services that pay for the lights is an entirely different animal.

Cutting your price means everyone, whether they need, want or deserve it, gets a discount. You make less on every job. Every job. The economy doesn't effect everyone the same, why cut profits across-the-board?

So, that doesn't sound like a sound strategy unless you can also somehow magically all of the sudden manage to live on less. 92% of Americans still have a job. In the last 16 months only two customers have expressed more than a passing concern about the cost of cleaning. Even when we were cleaning in Florida in the worst economy I've ever experienced, we still found people who would happily pay .45/psf.

When some guy walks up to you on the street and says, "Hey, dude, wanna buy a watch..." you won't value what he's selling like you would when you approach a salesman in a jewlery store selling watches at ten times the price. While they're both automobiles, a Lexus sells for more than a Kia. Speaking of people still needing to eat, some steak sells for $4.99 a pound, some sells for $16.99. Services are no different. When you come in believing the value of your service is higher than that of your lower price competitors, and it's true, many of your customers will come to the same conclusion, too.

Whatever floats your boat, IMHO incentives and discounts make a whole lot more sense than cutting your prices.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Have your local independent dealers dropped the price of gasoline at the pump simply because the economy is tight while their cost remains the same? No. Are they intentionally taking a beating at the pump? No. When their cost drops, the retail price drops.

Yes they have . Based on the competition on the street. The local ones drive up and down and base their price on what the big guys are doing

What does your variable rate mortgage have to do with this conversation?
The fact that the fed is driving down interest rates based on the wait for it…….economy

Did the bank switch you from a fixed to a variable because of the economy?
Nah, I knew what I was doing and I have a very unique mortgage but because the economy you have more options to rewrite your mortgage backed by Fannie and freddy down to as low as 2%

Restaurants around here aren't dropping their menu prices. They introduce specials, like they always have, but regular menu prices haven't budged except to increase. Neither have the lines, we're waiting just as long to get a table as we always have

Take a better look, I know your smarter than that Wayne those restaurants are taking what is already on the menu and lowering the price and calling it specials but they have items the customers are familiar with and lowering the price instead of trying to entice people to try the unknown, it is safer

My point is simple. Our costs are not dropping. Sales, discounts and incentives are one thing, and we do that too. Dropping your price on the staple services that pay for the lights is an entirely different animal.
That is what they are all doing in hopes of making it on volume or just to keep the doors open. On top of that your staples are what are going to get you in the door. I go into more homes for upholstery and wind up with the whole kit and kaboodle. I think it is the extras you make your money on.

Cutting your price means everyone, whether they need, want or deserve it, gets a discount. You make less on every job. Every job. The economy doesn't effect everyone the same, why cut profits across-the-board?
It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I am satisfied with my pricing because my situation may be a lot different than others but if you are not doing any business and you want to keep your business you can always adjust your pricing and advertise it. I am disgusted and dumbfounded by what people “claim” to be charging and it sets other expectations up for failure. Some guys may have squeeked by with the higher pricing as they are starting out within a small circle and now are dying cause their business wasn’t viable at the higher prices. Not everyone can be top priced and maybe they should look at being moderately priced

92% of Americans still have a job.
Completely untrue the jobless rate is based on people who want to work and aren’t on subsidies, trusts retirement plus pay is dropping to those who have jobs as well as the squeeze on the net worth which they were borrowing against and now can’t

Whatever floats your boat, IMHO incentives and discounts make a whole lot more sense than cutting your prices.
Same thing

And I am watching the other boards just to single you out Wayne :lol:

R

Rafa L

why are some of you guys dropping your pants?

Here's your solution: offer packages. At least three price teers. Lay the power in the hands of the consumer by giving them a choice from the three packages. Maybe offer a "blue light special" every now and then.

"Ok Mrs homeowner, this price is a bit too high?" "OK, let's remove the Scotch Guard." (now the price has dropped maybe $40-50$) and/or maybe just clean traffic areas and no furniture moving.

And for those real ball busters that want you to work for a sandwich and a coke, have handy the tel. no# of the worst cleaner in town and suggest they give them a call, they tend to have prices right up the ally of the price shopper.

Jerry

Supportive Member
I know Tony, and what he does for .45 ft is worth it.I do realize that he lives in a higher cost area than some. I would suggest maybe a discount on volume of work done, or a buy one room of scotchgard,second one half price or something similar. I feel if you drop your price right away, what happens when the economy picks up and the customer you cleaned for last year says"hey you only charged me$xx.xx last time?""

p.s. Hey Tony!

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
explain the price increase by that time they know your worth it. If you never get in you never have to worry about them asking why.

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
When someone doesn't have $5000 to replace their carpet or $1000 for a new sofa it only strenghtens your position as a professional cleaner. There's a growing number of opportunities where you're competing against the cost of replacement. How can you lose? Seems logical this creates a gowing demand for your services and stabilizes your price.

And, come on, in the big picture we're not talking about large sums of money. A lot of people pay more for cable TV than they do for carpet and upholstery care.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
meAt said:
Tony Dees said:

what's the difference??

..L.T.A.

Wayne wrote

You can even offer discounts because of the economy. That way, when things "pick back up" you don't have to explain why you are NOT running the same discount.

In my 20 years of carpet cleaning I have never been effected by the economy.
if people aren't selling houses they are cleaning them to stay in them
If they ARE selling, then they are cleaning them because they are moving
If they rent the house they can't sell then they clean it for the new tennants.

It's like Tobacco, Booze and cosmetics.

If you are doing bad in your business right now it has to be because of what YOU are doing, not what the economy is doing or other cleaners.

This has been a moment with Brian
Your welcome. :wink:

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Tony;

Wayne Miller said:
Retailers have sales, that's an incentive, and that's always been part of the program. Nothing new there.

I agree with Wayne.
I would offer a temporary sale on protector, or other add-ons.

It should increase volume on those items.

Larry

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Brian Robison said:
meAt said:
[quote="Tony Dees":1v6n4u8h]With the Economy being down are you lowering your prices or just offering more of a discount for your clients.

what's the difference??

..L.T.A.

Wayne wrote

You can even offer discounts because of the economy. That way, when things "pick back up" you don't have to explain why you are NOT running the same discount.

In my 20 years of carpet cleaning I have never been effected by the economy.
if people aren't selling houses they are cleaning them to stay in them
If they ARE selling, then they are cleaning them because they are moving
If they rent the house they can't sell then they clean it for the new tennants.

It's like Tobacco, Booze and cosmetics.

If you are doing bad in your business right now it has to be because of what YOU are doing, not what the economy is doing or other cleaners.

This has been a moment with Brian
Your welcome. :wink:[/quote:1v6n4u8h]

Bri-ANN (btw, are you still sportin' that wannabe '80s hair band girlz hair doo? :mrgreen: )

I can dig what Wayne is saying.
but as a "practical" matter, there's little difference cause they both cut profits
That's my point

here's a thought...
some of youinz regularly discount your services with marketing campaigns certain times of the year.
of your regular custys, the savvy consumer (more are learning to be savvy too) may very well just wait til you send out the discount mailers before they call.

many could make just as much money or more at "normal" pricing if they'd learn more efficient systems.
When I see sf prices bandied about, they don't mean diddly to me.
Cause a dude may in fact be getting .40, .60+ cent-o-ft.
But if his production times hover around the 250 to 350 sf pr hour when he's done with the "whole nine yards dog and pony show" ..
(not to mention the evening on-site res "inspection" sales pitch many do to get the job scheduled)

the dude with his Val-Pac 3-4 rm $99 traffic Ln special is laughing all the way to the bank at some of the "hi-rollers"

guess who has a larger field of prospects too?

lastly, I'm not giving any advise one way or another to Tony.
I'll let the dudes much smarter than me do that.
just making a point that high sf price doesn't mean a thing in and of it's self.
cause the $25 to $35 a room/area dude may very well be banking more jack

(think of the song "Hoky Pokey)

and THAT'S what it's all about...

..L.T.A.

John Buxton

When people are seeing their retirement and investments go to hell, we are an expendable service. People need floor coverings, they just dont need them cleaned every 6 months unless they have a problem like a pet.

Do whatever you have to do to stay around. Look to your competition, if you are in line with others then give something extra. If you are one of the prima donna cleaners that thinks they are so superior to everyone else, maybe its time to look in the mirror and understand this is not rocket science.

I'm hurtin too! Biz is worse now than my first year in 1992. I am concentrating on marketing like putting up a website, and getting out and shaking hands with other business owners. Hey its tuff out there right now, hang in there bro.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
BBQ ie: beer drinking for me. I will rewrite later and delete the mucky muck

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom