Are you "mechanically inclined" ?

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
i am def not, glad to see Marc can admit it as well (tho i doubt he is as challenged as me.)

even if i had a garage where i could keep a TM from freezing around here, if i lived in Fla i still wouldn't buy a TM because i just aint mechanically inclined at all.

who else here relies on their mechanic to change their oil :?: :mrgreen:

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I started wrenchin' when I was a kid in high school. If you worked on cars, then the mechanics of a TM ain't that hard, especially the older units. Even figuring out when sensors are bad isn't too hard if you think it out. Now as for the TM's with computers and fuel injection....that's when you call in the experts.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I was almost(returned them) charged $75.00 for three PINTs of pump oil for a General pump from my local guy.

The General "Pumpoligist" in the area said 2 $4 quarts non detergent 30 weight will work just the same.

You will lose lots of cash having others working on your shtuff..

Name
Lee Stockwell
I don't subscribe to the myth of "mechanical inclination". Just about anyone can be taught, mentored, inspired, or persuaded to be proficient.

I especially hate it when fathers drop the ball. However it's never too late to "get it". I've helped quite a few.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
i am jealous of you all. i don't blame my pop, he didn't learn anything to pass on. but i get what you're saying Lee.

anyone who is in you guy's group has a big advantage over someone like me. all of my friends tend to be M.I.,fortunately for me. but i still gotta pay all sorts of mechanics/tradesman to fix a lot of things that my friends can fix on their own. i hope yall appreciate the smarts you were taught!

!gotcha!

Name
Lee Stockwell
I appreciate my Dad (passed in 03) and other mentors very much. The only way I can pay them back is to help someone else.

This last few weeks helped my son-in-law, Mike, and employee, Jonathan figure out how to change a thermocouple on a gas heater.

What made me especially proud was that each went on and used that new skill to help someone else.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
between my dad and I working on a Model T, highschool shop classes which covered a lot of basics, and me buying a Big Red, I've become pretty good with a wrench. The CanAm is a breeze compared to the Big Red, and anything I can't handle it goes to a mechanic.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
i should be good to go in a couple hundred years :idea:

Billy

Name
BH
I have lots of tools that make me look like I know what I am doing :mrgreen:

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
It is a big learning curve for me but, necessity is the mother of all invention.

I would be happy to delegate the repair work but every fooking time I send something out for repairs, I get raped on the bill and it still needs fixed.

Billy

Name
BH
I always carry tools in all my vehicles including our boat just in case. I also have been trying to teach my son more so he can at least know how to work on stuff.

It always helps to know a little since sometimes shops aren't as forthright as we think they are. I recently had a LandRover shop try to tell me I needed something I didn't actually need.

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
I run a BLUEline and a Powerclean TM.........so ya I turn alot of wrenches myself. :roll:

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I always carry/carried tools on the truck just in case. I can turn a wrench but it's not my favorite thing to do.

I worked on all my cars through highschool and thereafter until I bought my first "new car" in 91.

I soon realized that working on my own stuff.....For the most part...was a waste of time.....My time could well be spent in other more profitable areas.

So the TM went to the mechanic almost always....The few extra hundred I might have spent extra meant I was up in running in 1/4 of the time at least AND with a guarantee that what they did was right or I brought it back.

If something broke in the field and was fixable....I fixed it...Unless it was going to take more than an hour then I just drove it to the shop.

But if you like doing that kinda thing.....Have at it.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Lee Stockwell said:
I appreciate my Dad (passed in 03) and other mentors very much. The only way I can pay them back is to help someone else.

This last few weeks helped my son-in-law, Mike, and employee, Jonathan figure out how to change a thermocouple on a gas heater.

What made me especially proud was that each went on and used that new skill to help someone else.

Yep....my Dad taught me a lot about plumbing. I watched and learned from him. We installed hot water heat in his house and mine. His system is well over 50 years old and still running (changed a few expansion tanks and the pump a few years ago). Mine is 30+ years old and still kickin'. Had to replace a gas valve last season (it was covered under furnace insurance), and the pump about 15 years ago.

I miss his input on a lot of things around the house.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Derek,
I am definitely mechanically challenged.

That is why it makes a big difference where you live and that you choose a machine that does not break often.
If you have a good mechanic close by and choose a dependable machine there is no problem at all with owning a truck mount. I've had a CDS for over twenty years and so far it has not been a problem at all.

Last week though, I changed the meter flow valve and it worked. I am tickled pink with my new mechanical talents :p

Lee, you are right, it can be taught. Two problems: 1) Finding a mentor. 2) If one is like me and not doing the repairs on a regular basis, I forget what I was taught. I just don't have that wonderful mechanical talent. I still own a truck mount, make good money and rush to my supplier when it needs fixing. Unlike some, I know that they need to make a living too and I am happy to pay what they charge.

Marc Imbesi

Derek said:
i am def not, glad to see Marc can admit it as well (tho i doubt he is as challenged as me.)

I can admit it cause I'm not fake....I am what I am....and btw...I am very challenged when it comes to engines! Thats why I want an ETM...supposedly easier to maintain and work on?

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
I never thought I was mechanically inclined either but there is no repair shop for my machines closer than 2 hours drive so sending something out for repairs isn't practical. My newly acquired skills include welding - something I didn't even consider doing until it became necessary for a repair. Most phones now have cameras and taking pics of the problem area before digging in has saved me more than once.

Back
Top Bottom