Are you using the IICRC..

Mikey P

Administrator
To educate yourself or your employees?

If not, why?

If so, are you happy with the class offerings and structure?

And, would you utilize online education if offered?

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
I took a Water Damage class to get current.
Was a good class but 2 days. I day Classroom and online the rest would have been much easier.
For training Employees, online and in-house skills check off would work if business owner is already certified.
100% Online would be much better for those who have to travel and stay in hotels to get this training.
Not sure there is much value to getting the actual certification paper of patch. There is value in the knowledge gained by training.
I would pay to take Pemberton's classes online.

Reactions: Desk Jockey
Name
Steve Lawrence
I've learned far more here than the IICRC has taught me.

I would consider on-line education for my whole team.

learned about CRB's and Zippers here. Maybe, Cimex and OP or was that the other board?

Last edited:
Reactions: Lee Stockwell
Name
Swani
I have not taken an IICRC but I would like to. I have taken some online classes and they're ok, but having a hands on experience and the ability to ask questions is how I learn best.

Last edited:
Reactions: J Scott W

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I thoroughly enjoyed all the courses I took. My two favorite instructors were Tom hill and Ron Toney. The courses were well presented, informative and gave a new insight into how things worked. I also enjoyed the camaraderie from the other attendees. I am still in touch with many of them and refer and have work referred from them. Never really got any benefit from the iicrc itself, except for the quality of the instructors it attracted. I would probably not pay for an online course.

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
I took the courses long ago. One of I think the first instructor I had was one of the Hanks.

Got my Master cert. but let it go years ago.
Not sure I got any benefit, as far as more, better business. But prob my fault.
I thoroughly enjoyed them. Mostly for the other people in the classed who I got to meet.

I think that it is better to wait to take them until you have a little experience. Then the information is more relateable.

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
I thoroughly enjoyed all the courses I took. My two favorite instructors were Tom hill and Ron Toney. The courses were well presented, informative and gave a new insight into how things worked. I also enjoyed the camaraderie from the other attendees. I am still in touch with many of them and refer and have work referred from them. Never really got any benefit from the iicrc itself, except for the quality of the instructors it attracted. I would probably not pay for an online course.

I agree. I took classes 15 years ago and I have to say the instructors were top notch. Mostly Doug Bowles and Steve Andrews. I let my certification expire when it started to seam like they were just running a money racket but the lessons learned in class were well worth it. The greatest lessons learned were how to not destroy a customers property. Steve Andrews also went the extra mile in teaching how to run a profitable business. Don't know that I would take online classes. Maybe, if I got bored.

Name
Matt Ross
I'd love to do more of that. I did one and I learned some stuff, but I wasnt particularly impressed with all the work done. The guy wasnt on here. Might try to tag along with damon one of these days if he will have me. Or a mikeys board charity thingy.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
I saw your post on Facebook and was going to comment but didn't. If the IICRC would invest in the technology they could create an entire system that would benefit them, the instructors, and class attendees.

We recently created a system for driving schools/traffic schools where users are able to search for a school near a zipcode or city and the results are filtered by proximity. When the user selects that school, that can see the class dates available. On the school's website the user actually registers with the state and the driving school instructor gets an email confirmation and it goes into a database. The user is then able to pay for the class through that particular driving school's website since they're all independently owned.

The driving school owners have to log into the state's software after the class and simply check a box that the person attended and click a submit button. Then the state sends out certificate of completion and notifies the BMV that person fulfilled their obligation.

The IICRC could do something similar. As I understand it, the greater majority of these classes are scheduled way ahead of time and the IICRC website could allow a search by instructor, proximity, date, etc. The distributors could still handle the registration but they could sign on and enter attendee information. If they're an existing IICRC member they could search for that person and add them to the class list. This could be done on the first day after people show up. When the class is said and done, the test will be taken, and when it is graded whoever grades it could enter the grades and the attendee could get an email notification. That would speed up that process a lot than waiting for a letter/certificate. The attendee could then request a certificate be sent. They could request the cards as well. The truth is some people care about the certs and cards and some simply don't. Why waste the resources unless the attendee wants them?

Attendees/owners could submit an online application for Certified Firm status and they could use a simple automated subscription billing model to handle all of that. The certified firm could turn off the billing and not renew if they wish. 60 days before expiration an email could go out about renewal, then one on 30 days. Based on the class dates and length since the classes were taken you could create an algorithm that would calculate prompt an email to be sent out for continuing education needed to maintain various Master statuses. The email could prompt them to go check out the dates and locations of classes.

Even with all of that, there could be an online classroom pre-requisite with video and a quiz between sections. If they get it wrong it shows them the correct answer and the minute-second mark in the video to go re-watch if they'd like. Then a quiz of everything at the end to show understanding of information. Then when taking the actual class there could be a quick overview but the rest would be true hands on. Then the final test that gets graded.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Mikey P

Administrator
https://www.lynda.com/subject/all as an example

Pick your instructor for the subject you want to learn about
The instructor gets paid for every viewing
The student is allowed a certain level of email interaction with the instructor
Courses are updated or corrected needed
Upon successful completion of the course, your IICRC account is updated with your new certs
Certain courses will require a 2nd part, live hands on component to get certified, ASD, CRT, MRS and WRT and other crucial understanding certifications

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom