Axial or snail??? Air movers

Name
John
Looking at purchasing some new air movers before the end of the year.... Advice opinions on axial or snail??? We're currently just using snail but thinkin about some axials?? Thanks guys

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I prefere axials to snail style air movers and we have 2 axials for every snail style air mover .

That said,A lot of factors come into play here.

How do you transport them?

I ask because it sucks to move or transport axials in the back of vans that have truckmount hose reels and such as their size inhibits efficiency and overall flow.

How will they be stored?

We prefer axials because of how they can be stored or transported.

Our favorite is the Phoenix focus as it requires no special hardware and can be stacked just about anywhere including the trucks floor or warehouse shelves or platform.

Axial low amp draw make you more efficient during setup because you will not be exceeding draw and popping breakers as much as you did before.

Another very big consideration is how does you company treat equipment?

Axials as a general rule are not going to be as tough and stand up to the same abuse say a normal snail such as a pro x3 would.

Axials cost more in the beginning but also pay more and produce much more cfm per amp than snails.

More stuff to consider like, do you primarily do residential or commercial?

Reactions: Scott S.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
New is nice, why not buy used?

Most of the time online you can find used for half if not a 3rd price of new...especially for Axials.

As Richard once said..."Used rents the same as New".

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I still think that's the best way to build your number of units up.

As you grow your WDR business I'd add new units as your everyday units as it becomes easier to afford them. I'd then keep the older units for overflow work.

Reactions: tmdry

K&J Products

Name
Ken Horvath
We have an Axial and you can buy at distributor pricing. $189.00 each brand new. Free freight lower 48 with pallet (24 fans) orders. 2.6 amps, daisy chain, hour meter, red color, 3,700 cfm. Stacks 15 feet high for storage. 602-723-2534

K&J Products

Name
Ken Horvath
I have Teal and Blue in 3.6 amp and no hour meter. Just Red in 2.6 amp with hour meter.
Red Aerofast w:meter.jpg

Reactions: Desk Jockey

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
i have 12 b air axial really like them 300 apiece i think is what they were
stack well work just as good as phoenixs

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
kandjproducts.com
If it is a little slow at the moment, I have my girl working on it tomorrow.

just looked at your site. went to a distribuors site, and holy how that one with the 4 cords is insane. granted for bed bugs, but insane non the less.

K&J Products

Name
Ken Horvath
When you use an Axial you get paid more money per day for the rental than when using a centrifugal style.

Low amps on Axial's (down to 1.8) is also important when looking at the new IICRC Standard proposals for the number of air-movers requested. Getting enough fans hooked up may be an issue on many jobs.

Keep in mind that National Electric Compliance states you cannot use more than 80% of a circuit if you will be using that circuit for longer than 3 hours. To be in NEC you cannot use more than 4 (2.5 amp) Axial fans on a 15 amp circuit. 6 Axial fans if they are 1.8 amps.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
what about the velo fans how do they work? how much cfm?

K&J Products

Name
Ken Horvath
Velo is considered centrifugal style. Let's say you buy an Axial Fan for $199.00. You get to charge $4-$5 more per day for Axial vs. Centrifugal. In 40-50 days of rental you pay for the Axial (essentially free) vs if you were using centrifugal for those 40-50 days.

Big Jim

Name
James Milne
what about the velo fans how do they work? how much cfm?
Dri Eaz claims 885 CFM on the Velo. Phoenix has a similar model called the Airmax and claims 925 CFM both say they use 1.9 amps. These units benefits are their size and space saving storage but they only produce about a third of the CFM as the other style air movers. Axials work great for high CFM 3000-3700 at low amps (2.6). They are great for dying higher up a wall; better than a snail fan in that respect. Snail fans (2400- 2700 CFM ) are good for floating carpet or floors but many have greater amp needs than an axial. The low profile fans, or radial as Phoenix calls theirs, seems to be a niche product. If you want CFM pick the appropriate snail or axial for the job. If all you're concerned with is space then get a low profile unit. I've being drying a long time and I personally look at them and wonder WTF? Just MHO but not mine alone. I spoke with one of the major manufacturers top rep (won't embarrass them by using a name) and they couldn't believe their company bothered making them.

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I don't get it, I don't want lower cfm no matter how well it stacks.
I blame the franchises. They dictatate whats being built and sold because they buying the large volume of drying equipment.
Since the majority are smaller operations they design stuff for one man carry and tight space in a van.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom