Axial or snail??? Air movers

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
I don't get it, I don't want lower cfm no matter how well it stacks.
I blame the franchises. They dictatate whats being built and sold because they buying the large volume of drying equipment.
Since the majority are smaller operations they design stuff for one man carry and tight space in a van.
The Velo will dry surfaces faster than their X-3 Turbo drier which has more CFM. The design on the Velo uses the air developed more efficiently with much less wasted air movement.
It was designed by a Boeing engineer. Think of a water hose when you put your thumb over the end restricting the flow increasing the pressure.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Darren Hudema

Name
Darren Hudema WLS
Viewing some of the comments in regards to the VELO, this airmover was two years in development to ensure that this low profile unit delivered a drying profile that equaled or exceeded airmovers already in the market place such as the centrifugal units. One very important factor to consider when using airmovers is that CFM isn’t what dries!! If it did, we would all use industrial floor fans that produce 10X the CFM. They key is directing a unit’s airflow to create velocity and coverage – that’s what dries! The Velo produces a tested velocity of 1950 FPM (see thermal image of drying profile) and “the competition” only 1050 FPM.

VELO IR Drying Profile.jpg

K&J Products

Name
Ken Horvath
An industrial floor fan, like you get at Home Depot, has too small length of housing to take the rotation and turbulence out of the air before it leaves the body of the fan. The air comes out and dissipates like a shotgun blast providing less forward movement. This is why most fans in our industry have longer/thicker housings, based on size, too help or fully remove the rotation/turbulence. This is also why using a higher cfm industrial fan "that is not designed" for our industry doesn't work as well as one would think it should.

K&J Products

Name
Ken Horvath
Airflow angle, velocity and volume dictate the transfer of energy to the materials and this along with potential surface area change of the water is what causes the increase in evaporation/drying.

Although I have not tested a Velo. I would bet good money the Velo has an exceptional, compared to most fans, angle and reduction of turbulence in relationship to the air coming out of the housing and striking the floor. Kind of like skimming a rock on water. Most fans, likely, have more of an angle that has more of a bouncing effect off the floor. Causing a reduction in the distance a substantial amount of the air stays at the floor surface. Because of placement recommendations by the IICRC one needs only 10'- 16' in airflow competency, and this airflow is angled at the wall helping to keep the air in it's target. This is why many different fans work just fine. Isn't there a company that makes nice downdraft fans for drying carpet after carpet cleaning? Why wouldn't one use those for drying the floor instead of the Velo?

I would like to see testing as it relates too transferring energy to the walls, as for most (if not all ) the walls are more difficult too dry than the floor. I also suspect the Velo will do well in these tests.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom