Belts Broke On PC 650hp

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
327 hours in relatively new PC 650 HP. Both belts broke! Had a problem previously that it seemed like it was bogging down. Cleaned air filter checked fluids and all were ok. Just seems way premature to me for belts to be breaking, when I noticed the problem I could have swore I heard a bearing grinding/squealing on blower. I have it at Bridepoint right now getting belts replaced. I have 10 months of warranty left, what should I be checking?

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Well, I just found out we're going to run it overto Gardner-Denver repair shop to have bearing checked out

Name
Steve Lawrence
Extra load on the blower could cause excess belt tension. Perhaps blower was just dirty or maybe you do have more severe blower issues. Good thing it's under warranty and sounds like repair is close by.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Good thing it happened within warranty, but yes too early for it to break from wear.

It didn't suck up rag or anything like that did t?

Last edited by a moderator:

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
GD shop said everything looked fine . Replaced 2 blower and 1 pump belt,everything appeared to run fine. I'll Give her a whirl Thursday night

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Be sure to retighten the belts after 25 hrs or so. I like to do this a couple of times in the first 100hrs.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Richard, no rags, I am good about cleaning prefilter daily. Thanks on suggestion to check belts after 25 hours. I had it infor routine maintenance at 50 & 100 hours and I "assumed" they checked belt tension. I will keep a close eye on it.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Belts are 2 years but like anything made by man maybe you got a bad one and it took out the others when it went.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
Typical problem with Prochems as the exhaust is right by the belts which heats them up and dries them out and "BLAM". I have had 3 Prochem units to date. Currently Apex machines.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Belts are covered for 2 years if it was a problem it wouldn't be covered for 2 years :) we have more then 20 650's running here that don't have premature belt issues so ill disagree with your statement. Now the bruin 2 had belt issues but we haven't see any of the other machines have issues as you stated unless it was an Inferior belt someone else put on.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill

You can disagree but your wrong. I have tried numerous belts, gates, predator, etc.. and they all break early. Not warrantied either as there a wear and tear item through Prochem. I have 2 Apex machines with the problem and talk to many with the same issue. Everest, Apex, etc... I do hear that SS warranties there belts for a year though.

Are you saying that Prochem warranties there belts for 2 years? I know they warranty their new TM parts & Labor for 2 years but even that is arguable. My best friend has a a new 400hrs Legend GT with numerous problems and it has been next to impossible to get them to honor anything. PITA

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Belts

You can disagree but your wrong. I have tried numerous belts, gates, predator, etc.. and they all break early. Not warrantied either as there a wear and tear item through Prochem. I have 2 Apex machines with the problem and talk to many with the same issue. Everest, Apex, etc... I do hear that SS warranties there belts for a year though.

Are you saying that Prochem warranties there belts for 2 years? I know they warranty their new TM parts & Labor for 2 years but even that is arguable. My best friend has a a new 400hrs Legend GT with numerous problems and it has been next to impossible to get them to honor anything. PITA
Your experience is obviously different but since I have been on the supply side for 10 years now 4 as an employee and 6 as an owner I think I've seen way more machines as a whole to base my opinion on is all I'm saying :) now you might be having the issues on your machines and those in your area because of other issues human or environment

.As for the warranty yes belts at covered unet Prochem's 2 year warranty. We have only done belts twice under warranty and those where a problem with the manufacturer which Prochem has since changed quite a long time ago as Vince experienced.

As to the issue your friend is having there isn't enough info for me to base an opinion on but I have no problems with warranties with Prochem. Is it Prochem or your distributor that he is having issues with? I can tell you the engine and blower and pump all are their own individual warranties from each manufacturer which is the same with every manufacturer, SS, hydra master, masterblend a d even Judson.

Those can be a huge pain if you have to deal with one of those but usually Prochem takes care of most of it unless it has to go in to a authorized warranties center like Koehler demands which not all distributors are authorized Kohler warranty centers. Your welcome to have him contact me and I can see what I can so to help him.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We don't get many that break on the job site. Our distributor checks them out as part of preventive maintenance, so those that are cracked and need replacement are done when in for oil change. Even when they are replaced it's normally after several years of use.

Our units are Performers, not sure if that makes a difference but it sure sounds like it does.

Magic One

What Viver said. My dist. would rather sell me a 408 than a 650 because of the belt problem.

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
If it takes "B" belts, go with Gates "Green" belts... they LAST FOREVER!

If they are 5vx go with Gates Predator (Yellow)

John Olson

Name
John Olson
What Viver said. My dist. would rather sell me a 408 than a 650 because of the belt problem.
Somebody is lying.....we have sold more then 20 650 varsity contractors has at least 100 or more 650's ABM has at least that many and they continue to buy them. They run them harder and longer then anyone here will ever come close to. They run 6-1000' of hose for 8 hours a day 6 days a week.only time the machine shuts down during the day is when the crew takes heir 30 minute lunch. They run apo's so the machine don't even shut down for a full waste tank. So if they are not having belt problems then it must be an operator or service issue as the machines we maintain aren't having belt issues.

Magic One

Nobodys lying John. Operator error LOL....Your repley sucks. He has the Proof and will send you the belts. Your saying the 650 can't keep up with the operators. LOL. Whisper in J. Pembertons ear he will tell you. He is not the dist. and has nothing to do with this thread.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Ok some facts

Nobodys lying John. Operator error LOL....Your repley sucks. He has the Proof and will send you the belts. Your saying the 650 can't keep up with the operators. LOL. Whisper in J. Pembertons ear he will tell you. He is not the dist. and has nothing to do with this thread.
Ok let's just state facts
The original belts 6 years ago had issues that were corrected
Fact

The belts on a 650 (and all prochems) are covered for 2 years
Fact

We have 20+ 650's we have sold and dozens more that belong to Varsity contractors in our area and none of them have belt issues

Fact

Varsity contractors and ABM run the 650's exclusively on the LDS church's and with their tight budges and rigid time frames they absolutely wouldn't be buying machines that couldn't perform under their strict guidelines

These are facts.. What someone else might be telling you that are contrary to these facts just isn't true as a whole. Maybe someone is putting the wrong belts on and they keep losing them but no way are the 650's coming off the line with a belt issue. Just isn't true the FACTS prove otherwise.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Why is it everytime I start a thread the topics get so heated.
Fact, I love my PC 650 so far
Fact, this is my first slid in so I have a bit of a learning curve
Fact, I researched the Titan 875 most researched pointed to it being a pos I think Surdi can testify to that!
There hadn't been any SS 870's sold at that time so I couldn't find any info about them and from what I heard one of the first ones shipped did not have the 59 blower as advertised, still haven't heard much about them. I was given lots of references on Pc650 both local out of Louisville and all over the country. I talked to 1/2 doz owners who had from 1 to 15 of them and they were all happy with them, I haven't got to try it since belts have been replaced but it sounded good at Bridgepoint when we put it through some tests.
Fact, started up the V after 2 months of setting idle after the water Softner resin issue and she hasn't missed a beat so FACT is I still love my Vortex as well!

Also for Jim Martins info. FACT I am still seeing that gold dust everywhere just like you said! But, it is the crap that escaped my flushing of the truck bed!

Last edited:

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
One could only hope that after all this time and a new pump that all that crap would finally be flushed out.....

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill

Please explain the warranty on the belts because I am owed $1000 of dollars from Prochem then. I have had nothing but problems with the belts. Great machine other then that. These simply are drying out and breaking. As I stated I have tried all the belts available I think.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Bill, not sure that it matters but Bridgepoint told me When they were finished there was no charge because it was covered under warranty.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Bill if your machine is still under the two year warranty then your distributor owes you not prochem as Prochem has no way of knowing you are having an issue if the distributor isn't turning in the warranty. If that is the case there is no excuse for that. If your belts are drying out and cracking either you have an exhaust leak the distributor has overlooked or they are using the wrong belts. Either way it would fall under the two year warranty and again it is up to the distributor to turn it into Prochem so they can get reimbursed. I promise you everything I have said is true and if your having those issues something isn't right with the machine you have or the way it is being serviced as it is at all normal. Either way I would demand the distributor that sold you the machine and has been servicing it contact Prochem while you are there. I can assure you they won't be to happy to hear about your issues as they should have known about it the first time you lost belts if it was less then two years let along multiple times in less then two years.

Magic One

Facts? We both have facts. You are a dist. who sells the machine with no broken belts and blower problems and others have broken belts. Maybe Pro chem is sending out bad belts. Enuff said. Take care.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
Machines are not under 2 year warranty unfortunately however I also have no exhaust leak and have tried every belt made. The simply put the exhaust to close to the belts at least on the Apex units. Can't speak for the others. I could wrap the pipe I guess but have yet to do it. What's your thoughts on that?

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Machines are not under 2 year warranty unfortunately however I also have no exhaust leak and have tried every belt made. The simply put the exhaust to close to the belts at least on the Apex units. Can't speak for the others. I could wrap the pipe I guess but have yet to do it. What's your thoughts on that?

Are we talking the 650 or the Apex? Not that it matters a whole lot but I thought we are debating the stories about a current belt issues on the 650. Now for your Apex issues we have a limited number of Apex's in the field as the 650 and the Peak are our biggest sellers but we haven't had a belt failure on any of the apex machines , we have sold (haven't even changed any belts) but only 2 of two are over 3 year old and 2 approaching 2 years. There is something going on with your machine if they aren't lasting more then a year or so. Have you spoken to Chuck or Greg in the service department at Prochem?

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Trust me if there was an issue I would say so. I am not beholden to any manufacturer. I would think right wrong or indifferent whether you like or more not that is one thing about me that is very apparent.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom