Best method to secure transitions

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
Occasionally I run across a transition that Ive had to fix which comes loose from the conrete floor and I have a heck of a time getting it to re attach. Sometimes due to concrete being brittle or sometimes for no apparant reason the concrete nails just wont sink in. Would a nail gun work well to secure metal transitions or tack strip to a concrete floor.

Thanks for your advice

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Tony, I carry a battery operated Ramset drill and small anchors.

QUICKEST and EASIEST way by far for doing repair work on older concrete.

Tackless, transition bars etc.

DD524-PDF.jpg

DD524
For fast, effortless drilling into even the toughest concrete, the Ramset DD524 cordless rotary hammer with its quick change R drive tool-holder / keyless chuck assemblies sets the standard. With a drilling capacity into concrete of 16 mm, impact stop for screwdriving and drilling into wood or metal, the DD524 is a powerful, versatile rotary hammer for use where mains power is not available.
John

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Anchor wise, this looks like what I use. Approx 3/4" long and I think from memory slightly less than a 1/4" dia.

They have a slight spiral thread on the sides and a slot in the head for easy removal in the advent of a mistake.

ShureDrive%20Anchors.jpg

ShureDrive™ Anchors

The ShureDrive Anchor is a light duty, impact setting interference fit anchor.

Convenient:
• Simply insert through fixture and hammer in.
Economical:
• Zinc body and Zinc Plated nail.
Secure:
• Tamper resistant head style.
John

John Watson

I also carry a hammer drill, but Crain makes a square aluminium nail and it fits my Norsk ansestry. I know how to put square nails in round holes and make things stick. They have worked great for me when I need to secure Tackless down on brittle crete too...

Stevea

John,

The Crain Square nail works great and a hammer drill also. They make a square drill bit for this very purpose, all one has to do is break the surface of the concrete and the nail will drive in well.

Something else that works very well for tackless is to glue it down with hot melt using the urethane glue. This really holds well and you do not have to drill. Once it is glued down, then just drive in the nails. Just one more way of holding tackless.
I am sure John M's nail driver is great to use.

SA

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Any hammer drill with an 1/8 inch masonary bit will work.. Hitachi, Bocsh, Dewalt, Milwaukee all make a decent hammer drill. We use to use the Aluminium Drives but changed over to Maze nails. I'll post a picture, but they hold like nobody's business in tackstrip or transitions.

http://www.mazenails.com/catalog/catalo ... &group=MAS

We use the 3/4. Most times with weak concrete we are forced to drill and nail the ends of the tackstrip with the maze nails and then come back and drill the rest every 8 inches or so and drive both the maze and the standard conrete nails in the strip. I do like the hotmelt glue suggestion as a way to stat the strip. Occasionally we run into situations when we can't drill and nail strip or transitions. So we usually use urethane construction adhesive. One day for tackstrip and pad and the come back a day later to install after the tackstrip and transitions has setup.

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
That is why Chemtrex is so good. I have had it last on exterior use for over 10 years. Can't imagine drilling that many holes. 22 cal is pretty fast.

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
I have a small carbide bit that's square. Drill with hammer drill and then use aluminum nail that conform to the hole. Bullet proof.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
the down side about Chemrex is about 2 hours to set
but if your scared of banging nails near tile its safe and holds like no other

ps the pam glue gun doesn't hold near as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
Jet Tac is as good as liquid nails, and sets up in like 15 minutes. Fast, and when it comes to repairs fast is important

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom