Best wall to wall wool carpet cleaning solution?

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
If it's never been cleaned in 17 years, then it's at least 17 years old.
Since it is secured flush to all 4 walls, any shrinkage will pop it off the tack strip and possibly split any seams.
You would most likely want to check the backing to see if it is Jute, which seems to be common on older wool carpets. It is the Jute backing that will shrink when wet and cause big problems.
I ran into some wool w2w recently that I did not think would be a problem because it did not have a Jute backing, but for some reason it shrunk back a little, so be careful. Seems that another backing component may have been susceptible to shrinking when wet in this case.
Some here will say thy wet wool w2w all the time with no problem, and I too believed it until I almost made a very expensive mistake, so be as cautious as you can, and try to do your best in identifying exactly what materials you are wetting.

Last edited:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Chemspec DFC 210 and DFC 105 will work well.

Is it woven with a jute core or tufted. If tufted, I don't find shrinkage to be a problem. If woven, shrinkage can be an issue.
Always a good idea to reduce moisture (pressure) as if jute backing you should be concerned about browning and if jute core, shrinkage. More dry passes and air movers.

Not been cleaned in 17 years is more of an issue, as you may need a heavier duty cleaning, more water, more passes etc which increases the chance of damage. You can compensate with some scrubbing (though not too much, as wool will become fuzzy.)

Decisions decisions! Carpet cleaning can be a bitch.
But that's why we make the big bucks.
Right? :winky:

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Judson O2 or Pros Choice Ultra TLC. Scrub with Tuway pad. Acid rinse, low pressure, low temp (180), dry strokes.

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
Oh ya,

if using a crb on w2w wool make sure the brushes are soft and well broken in.

Good call mp.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Brush Pro or other CRB machine works well with the proper brushes designed for wool, as George said.

Use a prespray that has the Wool Safe designation. High pH products can cause problems. I suggest Wool Perfect for prespray and Wool Zone for rinse.

Good comments on pre-inspecting the job, making sure the carpet is firmly adhered to the tackless strip, seams are strong. Many W2W wools are woven. Different methods of weaving have different chances of shrinkage. Do you know how it is woven?

freshandclean

Roger Koh has a wool cleaner that when used with the rinse will leave the carpet stink free. Yep, no wool barnyard odour. Super cool.

colin fitch

Light/medium soiled areas.
1.Good vacuum to walkways with an upright vac.
2.Pre-spray with Chemspec DFC 210.
3.CRB with host gold(softest) brushes fitted, or WELL worn in white ones making sure carpet is kept damp.
4.Rinse with Chemspec DFC 105.
Heavy soiled areas.
1. As above
2. Prespray with Prochems Ultraprep TLC ( NOT ULTRAPAC RENOVATE )
3. As above
4.Rinse with chemspecs Liquid high heat (acid side rinse agent)

Most stains will pop out with above pre-sprays.

Colin.

Colin

How have you found DFC 210 to perform on heavy soil? I've used it on some pretty soiled synthetic with great results.

Also, have you used the DFC HD Degreaser at all?

roro

Name
Ross Craig
Taski TR103 prespray - use an electric or pump up - not an in-line.
HWE at about 450 psi.
If tufted extract same as you would any other fibre
If woven do an extra drying stroke.
Remember with woven you will know it's an Axminster if it shrinks in one direction, it's a Wilton if it shrinks in both.
If it's a jute backing don't worry it doesn't shrink ; Carpet layers will sometimes dampen jute to allow it to be stretched easier.

roro

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Cleanco makes a nice Natural Fibre Prespray that works great on wool. Nice fragrance to counter that wet wool stink, it sprays out more in bubbles so its not a real heavy spray.
With a holed glide on a Greenhorn, or similar, run about 300-400psi max, moderate heat if yours is adjustable, with an acidic rinse.
The Sebos work great for wool.
Nice easy passes with slow dry passes, put fans on it right away, Airpath works great if you have one.

roro

Name
Ross Craig
AXMINSTER
Part of the base of the carpet is the Jute ‘weft’ which is passed between alternate parallel cotton ‘warps’.
Does cotton shrink - yes
roro

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
I know jute in a form will shrink. Back in the days if a carpet had jute backing to it all you had to do was wet it and say see you later. It shrinks it so it will lay flat again. There are many times when i handsew some borders or need to take care of a bubble some where we will shrink it . Alot of times on sewing a Wilton on a round step it can cause puckering so we will either wet it to shrink it or steam it what ever it be.

Reactions: GCCLee

colin fitch

Cleanimage

DFC 210 is NOT my first choice chemical for Heavy soil. However i have boosted it many times with Sodium percarbonate or Citrus and run the CRB or Oreck , then acid rinsed on heavily soiled or trashed wool carpets here in u.k. also with great results.

Colin

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom