Bidding a custodial job

steve_64

Well we double billed the first couple nights. Got it down to under 4 hours a night total. Doing outside windows once a month for $300.

Turning out to be a nice gig. They love us there and it's already turning into residential jobs.

Fred, I still think like a layman to much sometimes that's why I phrased the raise comment the way I did. I know it's a price increase lol

steve_64

Genny is making about $70 an hour or more with one helper. She loves it as does her helper.

I wouldn't take it on by myself.i wouldn't be doing a third of the work I do if not for Genny.

steve_64

After awhile working for pennies you'll face burnout. Fook janitorial
Genny is making a $100 an hour on that job now.

Got another lead for a $3600 a month nightly job at a small health club. Got crew ready for it and haven't even seen it yet.

Just have to show up, all supplies and equipment provided.

I like the regular work these jobs provide and we usually make more for specialty work like tile.

Reactions: Bruce Humphrey
Name
Matt Ross
If you can target the right accounts and have the right employees it can be great. I can see how some people could hate it. I'm glad they do, it makes it easier for those of us who are good at it. It's no different than carpet cleaning in that respect.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
I’ve been doing janitorial for nearly 30 yrs.
It’s taken me that long to get off the truck:hopeless: We carved a niche, and pretty much stick to that. We Don’t make pennies on the dollar, but that is common in this industry. We spin off floors, carpet, and lot of other service. It can be lucrative:biggrin:

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
Genny is making a $100 an hour on that job now.

Thats great! Problem with that, usually means it gets done too fast and quality is poor.. thats i gain accounts by people losing their accounts because they did not do a good job, all because they want more $ per hour..

steve_64

Thats great! Problem with that, usually means it gets done too fast and quality is poor.. thats i gain accounts by people losing their accounts because they did not do a good job, all because they want more $ per hour..
It's about the system. We are way above what they had been getting.

And occasionally I go pitch in and make sure it's up to my standard.

We have some good help but training never ends.

steve_64

Had to pass on the other lead. They need an employee not a contractor. No manager on site neither.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
i had four dealerships (same owner) for 15 years.......each one $1800.00 a pop...
i did them each four times a year!
slowly they pulled the carpet and went to tile (which i don't do)
funny i kept each invoice @ $1800.00 each time...
by the time they all shut down i was only doing a hall and small office area........in each one still getting the $1800.00
best part...they had the check cut and i was paid upon completion!

best run i ever had...............maybe except for the George Romney mansion i measured the first time and kept charging the same each time no matter how much i did.......i got to set at the desk and chair that Kennedy gave him from the oval office.....

it all made up for the money i lost when that old bag died on me.............

Last edited:
Reactions: Kenny Hayes

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Forty years in the bidness and I never realized how fortunate I had it till I read about all you poor smucks and what you go through
HERE...write this down....
The bigger asshole you are the more they will respect yor service and want you to work for them
I really don't know why....but It works!

Last edited:
F

FB7777

After awhile working for pennies you'll face burnout. Fook janitorial
Dude if you would just stfu and open your mind, you'd discover there is more than one way to fold the laundry

While I pared my janitorial accounts down to 8, they are all very profitable averaging $40-60 per man hour

Really helps during lean weeks and keeps me from taking on risky projects or begging for work over the years

Good job Steve, so far it sounds like you have a nice dealership ... had no idea any existed

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
VawterVille... where the tales are stretched and the nose is long

Jaw dropping huh..?
It didn't hurt that my wife ran a title Co and was responsible for most of the draws and decisions made to almost every builder in Oakland Cty....
Now if you wanna see something really long.......we'll have to go for another walk.....

Last edited:
F

FB7777

The only walk we ever took was to the back of the Aptos VFW Spicolli

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Well Jesus fred......
I didn't wanna tell everybody that we walked out behind the shitters.....

F

FB7777

Oops

I thought we were in the secret " Jimmy eats his own feces Room"

steve_64

Dude if you would just stfu and open your mind, you'd discover there is more than one way to fold the laundry

While I pared my janitorial accounts down to 8, they are all very profitable averaging $40-60 per man hour

Really helps during lean weeks and keeps me from taking on risky projects or begging for work over the years

Good job Steve, so far it sounds like you have a nice dealership ... had no idea any existed
Oh we hear a lot of stories from friends about dirty dealings there but I think they were desperate for a decent cleaner. They treat us very well but I doubt I'd buy a vehicle from them.

Thank you Fred.

Reactions: FB7777

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Fred...I called you a few days ago. ....
I was out in the garage and really really bored......but
I suppose yor caller ID SED who it was

F

FB7777

No you didn't

Screenshot your phone.

You're nowhere on my recent call list

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes

We actually do $30-35k a mo. with my janitorial service. It’s actually a great
old man and old woman biz now. :biggrin:

steve_64

I've had to pitch in more due to all the snow and salt. Going to talk to them about an increase soon.

Got a larger dust mop to speed things up some more. We leave everything we need there now so no more packing for the job.

This has turned into a real nice job.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom