Brakes.

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
1 looking tired Toyota Hiace 400,000 kilometres on 2nd set of pads its whole life

2nd bit scruffy Toyota Hiace with 170,000 kilometres on original pads

If my 2017 ford transit doesn't make 150,000 kilometres on its pads I'll be disappointed

Reactions: Cleanworks

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
We must be some real flat landers.

We carry water and lots of tools but some of our vans over 100,000 to 125,000 and still same brake pads...

We check them often... Would change them when close to needed...

1 ton GM vehicles

Name
Matt Ross
30k or so on the front. Double on the back. But then again, I tow big boy loads not just carpet cleaning stuff.

IMG_20171212_120816432.jpg

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
All depends on your loads and terrain. Living in hilly areas are going to eat up brakes faster than living in the prairies. Fresh water tanks are convenient and necessary in some areas but increase your load dramatically. I usually get 2 years on a set of front pads, about 60-70,000 k.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

:eekk::eekk:

GTFO.....

given more carful thought .
It might be at 60K+ for front

My pick-up was bought used , don't know if pads were changed, but recently replaced them when I heard 'em grinding @ 75k
E-250 Super Cargo was bought new... 3 sets front, one set rear in 180K

Momma's ride just turned 67K..original pads
They're about due

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
My gti is manuel, 160k miles and now have to change em for first time lol. I use clutch for all my deceleration. I wish I could get manuel for the commercial vans

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger

GTFO.....

My pick-up was bought used , don't know if pads were changed, but recently replaced them when I heard 'em grinding @ 75k

They're about due

..L.T.A.

I know....was thinking about this too and we really do get a lot of miles out of our vehicles....and especially the brakes.

Now if they could just tame down the winter salt would be great on the vehicles bodies....

Reactions: Dolly Llama

MerCrewser

Have you checked the transit boards? There are issues with older transits; calipers were installed upside down at the factory.

I'm still waiting on my Transit. Built 5/31, it's "in transit" with no official delivery date. Last I heard it was on a railcar in Ohio.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
2 GMC 1 ton vans both exceeding 170k miles.
Both on their 2nd set of brakes.
Look ahead. Anticipate your stops.
Or be like my mother inlaw and ride with 1 foot on the brake.

Reactions: Jimmy L

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
You guys don't utilize the 1st and 2nd gears of your automatics ?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I always gear down when I can. My transmissions last a long time. In fact I have never replaced one. Usually get a transmission flush every so often.

Reactions: Jimmy L

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter

GTFO.....

They're about due

..L.T.A.
since it's for momma
i'll give you some MORE knowlege

two words.........

ceramic pads!

too match the shine

she'll stop on a dime
and bring back the change!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dolly Llama

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
Brakes are cheaper than transmissions.

Not if you do it right. It what it is for, especially heavier vehicles. If constantly stopping and going, transmission and engine benefits at higher rpm as it cools better, and takes heat of the brake pads. Couple that ceramic pads, you go long ways. Truckers do this all the time...

The tranny should last a long time still.

Reactions: roro

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
We sell trucks at 75 to 85k. 1 ton GMC vans with fresh water tank, front pads at 60k. Never do the backs. 3/4 ton GMC vans w/o fresh water, never do the brakes. Seattle has hills like San Francisco. An under 600 pound CDS helps. The mega-slide ins run upward of 1,000 pounds dry, double that with water on board.

Our FedEx guy said his Transit has the brakes replaced every 15k, almost as bad as the early Sprinters. I've also heard complaints that the OEM brake pads wear fast and recommendations are to use a heavier duty pad when you have the brakes done. Or, learn to change pads yourself. Should be a 30 minute job in the driveway.

Mikey P

Administrator
We sell trucks at 75 to 85k. 1 ton GMC vans with fresh water tank, front pads at 60k. Never do the backs. 3/4 ton GMC vans w/o fresh water, never do the brakes. Seattle has hills like San Francisco. An under 600 pound CDS helps. The mega-slide ins run upward of 1,000 pounds dry, double that with water on board.

Our FedEx guy said his Transit has the brakes replaced every 15k, almost as bad as the early Sprinters. I've also heard complaints that the OEM brake pads wear fast and recommendations are to use a heavier duty pad when you have the brakes done. Or, learn to change pads yourself. Should be a 30 minute job in the driveway.
51 on mine..

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I think the sprinters are at about 15k-20k miles-- same with tires. :eekk: :dejection:
don't know if its all the weight, hills and parallel parking that cause the extreme wear-- of driving the vans like sport cars! :hopeless:
Its not a cheap repair but not difficult to do on the fronts and one of the rears-- two of the rears are a PIA.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I have rotors and EBC RedStuff pads on the way. A7 brakes aren't all that tough. Should take about 90 minutes.
Just dithering about whether to paint the calipers. Too boy-racer for an old guy?

There are a few poorly designed systems that will take many hours and special tools to change: Honda Accord fronts (captive rotors), Ford 1-ton Econoline rears (everything), so if you want to do your own, look up your vehicle on You Tube. If the person doing the video warns you at the beginning that the job is difficult, it probably is.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell
Back
Top Bottom