Brian Robison on the Hot Seat.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
meAt said:
But he does have the expense of doing the job and maintaining the equipment etc. So I believe that each have their equal expenses.at the end of the day anyway.

umm, Bry...are you saying your expenses per job are the same as the sub's???
am i reading that right??

have you really crunched the numbers??
or are you just blowing smoke up someone's gigi ??.... :roll:

what's the cost to run a keyboard compared to a TM for a year?
Lets say 2/3s of those jobs are repeats with an ave ticket of $150 shall we??

share some of you expenses with us, bRoDiddly

..L.T.A.

It has always seemed a fair arrangement for a carpet cleaner to split jobs 50/50 with a contractor who gets the work if they are providing a steady flow of customers. If you are running a business, especially starting out, half of your effort goes into getting work and half goes into job processing. But there are guys like cole who take 70% for their part in getting jobs and give their subs what amounts to peanuts. These greedy bastards really mess up this industry.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Good God Greg....what do you want to know THIS time. There are time lines involved and that's probably where you see issues.

What do I have to hide/lie about?

Meat,
At the time I was advertising pretty heavy along with everything else.

Now I've substituted time for money in aquiring jobs which is just as expensive.

I've owned and ran a van with a TM....I've marketed and done all the office work. It's equal to me....all things considered.

I can break it down but it will take more time than I have right now.

Where I win is when I can get more than 1 van running....but my structure has changed somewhat from that post....but it's still the same idea.....in my mind anyway. lol

Becker

Name
Becker
I'd like to see Greg Crowley, AKA Waffles should do a hot seat.. Preferably his drinking night to make it more interesting.
Now that survivor is over.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I have nothing to ask. I have asked the questions, there are just new answers. I have phonieys like you in my area, with fake addresses and fake listing etc etc. I am not sure what your response is about.

Just to put my point in perspsective

You are not HWE but you offered a groupon for HWE and didn't do any HWE and people like me invested in HWE and lost money to someone who lied. Please correct me where I am wrong. The only way I am wrong is if they weren't going to get them cleaned unless they had the 50% discount, so what is it Brian

I have done a hot seat beckerhead and it was alot longer

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
yes becker , you keep bringing up survivor for some reason that I don't understand. I know this you wouldn't outwit outplay outlast

Remember out of over 100,000 18 castaways, 39 days and only 1 sole survivor

Becker

Name
Becker
Was that when you were a single van or at least doing all RES yourself like last Summer, or now a 4 van operation with 2 locations?

I bring up survivor. Because the season ended last WED with Rob winning.. WED is your drinking night, so I was hoping for a WED night hot seat..

In other words.. Nothing worth watching on TV now on WED with survivor over.

Get it?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
XTREME1 said:
I have nothing to ask. I have asked the questions, there are just new answers. I have phonieys like you in my area, with fake addresses and fake listing etc etc. I am not sure what your response is about.

Just to put my point in perspsective

You are not HWE but you offered a groupon for HWE and didn't do any HWE and people like me invested in HWE and lost money to someone who lied. Please correct me where I am wrong. The only way I am wrong is if they weren't going to get them cleaned unless they had the 50% discount, so what is it Brian

I have done a hot seat beckerhead and it was alot longer

Same answers Greg.

Groupon put steam cleaning on the Groupon. NOT HWE.
Do you clean with steam or hot water?

I never once said we do steam cleaning. That's was Groupon's mistake.

But you've probably never had mistakes in your advertising right?

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
your slow, thursday has always been the joke day about drinking. I have 3 vans, a trailer with a porty and just added a flat bed junk hall away.

Bought a small seal coating truck giving it a run on Friday with a college junior and that is the next project and next spring will be a flat bottomed boat with an apex'ish type machione doing boats out of the marina. You have a plan right becker, after 30 yrs in the trade you should have a HUGE business

Becker

Name
Becker
XTREME1 said:
yes becker , you keep bringing up survivor for some reason that I don't understand. I know this you wouldn't outwit outplay outlast

Remember out of over 100,000 18 castaways, 39 days and only 1 sole survivor

Am I claiming to even want to be on survivor?
Honestly I have zero interest in a TV game show.

Watching it is interesting.
As for skills to survive in the wildness with little or nothing. I think I could hold my own.
Years of training and experience in the back country.

You have claimed to be actively trying to get on the show.

Becker

Name
Becker
May 11th was a WED.. And you were drunk off your ass.
The night the poll was made where you claimed to owe 90% of your business to MB and wanted to get a tat.. It was a WED, The poll was.. were you shit faced.
Shall I go on?
We all know your drunken night is WED.
Thursday might be the joke, but the real think is WED.

Becker

Name
Becker
XTREME1 said:
your slow, thursday has always been the joke day about drinking. I have 3 vans, a trailer with a porty and just added a flat bed junk hall away.

Bought a small seal coating truck giving it a run on Friday with a college junior and that is the next project and next spring will be a flat bottomed boat with an apex'ish type machione doing boats out of the marina. You have a plan right becker, after 30 yrs in the trade you should have a HUGE business

What did I start when I was 8?

What about your completely Green offerings? How is that coming along?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Becker said:
May 11th was a WED.. And you were drunk off your ass.
The night the poll was made where you claimed to owe 90% of your business to MB and wanted to get a tat.. It was a WED, The poll was.. were you shit faced.
Shall I go on?
We all know your drunken night is WED.
Thursday might be the joke, but the real think is WED.

Don't blame Growley for his May 11th insanity. It was because of this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgRBollP ... re=related

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I don't know what to tell you about your fantasy world Becker,

To apease you I have a borowed truck with a small truckmount and I am broke. My wife is on welfare and I have nothing to show for my 229 yrs of work

Pssst I do offer a green solution

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
It has always seemed a fair arrangement for a carpet cleaner to split jobs 50/50 with a contractor who gets the work if they are providing a steady flow of customers.

I can dig it, Art.
I wasn't questioning what's "fair".
If both parties agree, that's "fair" enough for me
(even Cole for that matter)

I was questioning Brian's implication that their "costs" were equal .
They're not and he knows that

Brian R said:

Now I've substituted time for money in aquiring jobs which is just as expensive.

thanks Brian
so the answer is no.
your costs are nowhere near "equal" the Sub's

..L.T.A.

Becker

Name
Becker
XTREME1 said:
I don't know what to tell you about your fantasy world Becker,

To apease you I have a borowed truck with a small truckmount and I am broke. My wife is on welfare and I have nothing to show for my 229 yrs of work

Pssst I do offer a green solution

Fantasy world?

Unlike you Waffles I'm stating facts.

So what are ya drinking tonight?

Becker

Name
Becker
What is your Green Cleaning solution?

Seems green is dying off somewhat..

Perhaps it is because truly offering green cleaning is more than just green products.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
we offer a total green rug cleaning, we offer green cleaning products in our HWE, next year we should have an electric truckmount. The green clean question came up about the 32 + horsepower engines and I ask the question of electric use for the same work, so not a certified greewn cleaner but offer many green options such as portables, encap, host we pretty much own every option

The way we shine is on our rug cleaning in terms of green

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Re: Brian Robison notes from his Hot Seat.

Bob Foster said:
1. I don't pretend to know everything.this is just how I am doing some
things that are working really well for me.

2. Been cleaning carpets pretty much my whole life with some down time
a year here and a year there. Owned some Chem-Dry's .worked for some Chem-Drys and started steam cleaning around 8 years ago in this area. I own my business now.

3. My business structure is really based on people helping people.
There are two different carpet cleaners .in my opinion..There is the Craftsman and the Business man.now you can be really good or really bad in either dept but this is what I think the difference is.

4. The Craftsman is really into the cleaning aspects of the
industry.really likes the equipment and process' used.all the chems used and always looking for something better.

5. The Businessman is the guy who loves the marketing, speaking with
customers.or clients, doing office work or has people to do the office work if it is too much.

6. I am the business man.I'm not a great business man.but at
businessman nonetheless.

7. I think by me hooking up with some craftsman that do great work.IE
o/os things tend to work out well.

8. Why not find that carpet cleaner businessman to find you the work,
deal with phones and work that side of it and you do the craftsman part and split the income?...Or vise versa

9. Which one are you? Either way I think it is a win win.

10. Doing the carpet cleaning and the office will work fine if you don't want to grow your business.but if you do then you have to have other people on your team.

Now here's the money part

1. I split just about every job down the middle. The guys that work for
me pretty much full time I split 50/50. Some of my lower end jobs .or out of the area I will go 60/40 because those are fewer and not worth a lot of money and my "Face" is not really on the job.

2. Every job that I get costs me money to get.even repeat customers
have their cost. The guy cleaning doesn't have to pay for the job, he just answers the phone and there it is, no mailing, no ads.whatever. But he does have the expense of doing the job and maintaining the equipment etc. So I believe that each have their equal expenses.at the end of the day anyway.

3. When I first started this, I had to cut my overhead way down by
selling the van and all the equipment and of course that cuts out gas and chemical usage.repairs. you name it

4. I was losing what I figured to be about $2000.00 every month by
jumping off the truck.

5. The thing is, I had time to work on getting more jobs to make up for
that loss.for every extra $200.00 job that came in.I made an extra $100.00.And that's what I did.

6. The best part is I can now work on my company to get more work.I can
send these jobs to Cleaning Techs who may not have a lot of work .that they didn't directly have to pay for those customers.

7. I do like to think that I have slightly higher end work.but
definitely not always.

8. There have been some guys on the board who have gotten some crappy
jobs from me but you have to take the bad with the good.as do I.
whattyagonnado.

9. This is better for me than having employees because of the costs and
liabilities involved.workman's comp, payroll, taxes etc.

10. I pay the guys who work for me just like I would and accountant or a
mechanic.they are vendors.

11. I have to 1099 anyone who makes over $600.00 from me and they have to have their own equipment and insurance.

12. And California subcontractor law states in part "they must do the job their own way and on their own time". Which means I really can't even have them do a job at a scheduled time.it just works out that it is the time the customer wants it..if you understand.

13. This is a reason why cable companies give you an 8 hour window sometimes.

14. The Cleaning Tech has no "loyalty" to me. If they want to keep a customer base and follow up with a customer.or "Steal" the customer after the initial job then they have the right to do that.I can't stop them.

15. BUT, I keep the customer on file, follow up, remind and basically keep in contact myself.and that Craftsman carpet cleaner probably doesn't care too much about keeping the records anyway or they wouldn't be doing the work for me to begin with.

16. It just works out.

I believe Bob just did a DIY Hotseat.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
bob vawter said:
Hoody said:
No Bob, when the dust settles I'll still get what I want. I can't be stopped doing what I love for forever. Cides' I like to keep my word, I did after all agree to something, but that agreement ends soon enough.
well shitfire...i should bring a Genie down there....and we could take a run at him......
we would name the co...
BOBLEDINKS CARPET CLEANING CO :lol:

cuz DINKLEBOB...don sound so good!

HOODLEDVAWTERS kinda rings a bell.

Bob Foster

Re: Brian Robison notes from his Hot Seat.

Doug Cox said:
[quote="Bob Foster":2blvcso3]1. I don't pretend to know everything.this is just how I am doing some
things that are working really well for me.

2. Been cleaning carpets pretty much my whole life with some down time
a year here and a year there. Owned some Chem-Dry's .worked for some Chem-Drys and started steam cleaning around 8 years ago in this area. I own my business now.

3. My business structure is really based on people helping people.
There are two different carpet cleaners .in my opinion..There is the Craftsman and the Business man.now you can be really good or really bad in either dept but this is what I think the difference is.

4. The Craftsman is really into the cleaning aspects of the
industry.really likes the equipment and process' used.all the chems used and always looking for something better.

5. The Businessman is the guy who loves the marketing, speaking with
customers.or clients, doing office work or has people to do the office work if it is too much.

6. I am the business man.I'm not a great business man.but at
businessman nonetheless.

7. I think by me hooking up with some craftsman that do great work.IE
o/os things tend to work out well.

8. Why not find that carpet cleaner businessman to find you the work,
deal with phones and work that side of it and you do the craftsman part and split the income?...Or vise versa

9. Which one are you? Either way I think it is a win win.

10. Doing the carpet cleaning and the office will work fine if you don't want to grow your business.but if you do then you have to have other people on your team.

Now here's the money part

1. I split just about every job down the middle. The guys that work for
me pretty much full time I split 50/50. Some of my lower end jobs .or out of the area I will go 60/40 because those are fewer and not worth a lot of money and my "Face" is not really on the job.

2. Every job that I get costs me money to get.even repeat customers
have their cost. The guy cleaning doesn't have to pay for the job, he just answers the phone and there it is, no mailing, no ads.whatever. But he does have the expense of doing the job and maintaining the equipment etc. So I believe that each have their equal expenses.at the end of the day anyway.

3. When I first started this, I had to cut my overhead way down by
selling the van and all the equipment and of course that cuts out gas and chemical usage.repairs. you name it

4. I was losing what I figured to be about $2000.00 every month by
jumping off the truck.

5. The thing is, I had time to work on getting more jobs to make up for
that loss.for every extra $200.00 job that came in.I made an extra $100.00.And that's what I did.

6. The best part is I can now work on my company to get more work.I can
send these jobs to Cleaning Techs who may not have a lot of work .that they didn't directly have to pay for those customers.

7. I do like to think that I have slightly higher end work.but
definitely not always.

8. There have been some guys on the board who have gotten some crappy
jobs from me but you have to take the bad with the good.as do I.
whattyagonnado.

9. This is better for me than having employees because of the costs and
liabilities involved.workman's comp, payroll, taxes etc.

10. I pay the guys who work for me just like I would and accountant or a
mechanic.they are vendors.

11. I have to 1099 anyone who makes over $600.00 from me and they have to have their own equipment and insurance.

12. And California subcontractor law states in part "they must do the job their own way and on their own time". Which means I really can't even have them do a job at a scheduled time.it just works out that it is the time the customer wants it..if you understand.

13. This is a reason why cable companies give you an 8 hour window sometimes.

14. The Cleaning Tech has no "loyalty" to me. If they want to keep a customer base and follow up with a customer.or "Steal" the customer after the initial job then they have the right to do that.I can't stop them.

15. BUT, I keep the customer on file, follow up, remind and basically keep in contact myself.and that Craftsman carpet cleaner probably doesn't care too much about keeping the records anyway or they wouldn't be doing the work for me to begin with.

16. It just works out.

I believe Bob just did a DIY Hotseat.[/quote:2blvcso3]

What's this stuff? I never said this stuff...

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Becker you want to visit my company I will pay your plane ticket, as long as you hang out with me and the boys

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
XTREME1 said:
Becker you want to visit my company I will pay your plane ticket, as long as you hang out with me and the boys

Survivor played out by all at the shop or necktie party?

Becker

Name
Becker
Is it just me, or does it seem a little odd Waffles wants to pay me to come see him?

This after the countless request I made to him to stop calling me, but he kept on, kept on. Took awhile for him to get the message.

Now he is throwing cash at me? Or at least offering me a plane ticket with conditions?

Thanks Greg, but no thank you.

WEIRD!

I've heard of things like this on TV. Normally dateline.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
meAt said:
It has always seemed a fair arrangement for a carpet cleaner to split jobs 50/50 with a contractor who gets the work if they are providing a steady flow of customers.

I can dig it, Art.
I wasn't questioning what's "fair".
If both parties agree, that's "fair" enough for me
(even Cole for that matter)

I was questioning Brian's implication that their "costs" were equal .
They're not and he knows that

Brian R said:

thanks Brian
so the answer is no.
your costs are nowhere near "equal" the Sub's

..L.T.A.

If a sub makes $100.00 per hour....what do I get for my time Mr. Larry?

Are you saying my time is worth nothing? No, really...no smart ass answers.

You know better than that.

If I sit on my butt all day and create jobs AND I'm not getting paid until said job is created...I think that whole "fair" thing hits a better meaning.

A cleaner can do what ever the hell he wants all day and then take 2 hours out of his day to do a job where he will make more money than most poor slobs will make in their 9 to 5er (the beauty of the business).

On a side not...that post from Bob was notes from my hot seat that he posted when it happened.

Those are my words...not his......Just paraphrased a bit.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Art Kelley said:
meAt said:
But he does have the expense of doing the job and maintaining the equipment etc. So I believe that each have their equal expenses.at the end of the day anyway.

umm, Bry...are you saying your expenses per job are the same as the sub's???
am i reading that right??

have you really crunched the numbers??
or are you just blowing smoke up someone's gigi ??.... :roll:

what's the cost to run a keyboard compared to a TM for a year?
Lets say 2/3s of those jobs are repeats with an ave ticket of $150 shall we??

share some of you expenses with us, bRoDiddly

..L.T.A.

It has always seemed a fair arrangement for a carpet cleaner to split jobs 50/50 with a contractor who gets the work if they are providing a steady flow of customers. If you are running a business, especially starting out, half of your effort goes into getting work and half goes into job processing. But there are guys like cole who take 70% for their part in getting jobs and give their subs what amounts to peanuts. These greedy bastards really mess up this industry.

LOL- I have to laugh about comments like this. In my opinion: It's the greedy owner operators that really mess up the industry. I talked to a IO yesterday that was apparently called in by a customer of our to remove a stain that apparently had wicked back. She refused to let us return, rather she just hired him. He charged her $245 to remove the 2'x3' spot. When i asked him about the price he replied: "I had to pull the carpet back and inspect under it" !!!!!!
The spot was only 2' from the wall!
This was price gouging- plain and simple! There are a few people on this site that gripe and moan that I charge extra for heavily soiled carpets. BUT $245 for 1 spot? COME ON! He didn't even clean the rest of the room! He seemed like a nice enough guy (and i won't give his name or company name) and incredulously believed he did NO WRONG!

The problem we have is that solo operators will out of desperation charge absurd prices with "opportunistic practices". It's feast or famine. If a customer happens to call during the famine- you can't tell me that solo's won't take advantage of them.
It's not the discounters that make this industry look bad but rather the guys that charge absurd and often baseless prices.
Of course they are often the same guys that are screaming "WATCH OUT FOR BAIT AND SWITCHERS" Talk about a wolf in sheeps clothing!
We have a franchise operation here that is doing a heavy radio pitch saying "Beware of coupon companies, they will arrive at your house and charge you more". They advertise 4 rooms for $134. of course their techs (paid on commission) arrive and start the standard upsell. spot removal = more, santizer = more, protectant = more !
So, they included heavily soiled carpet cleaning in their price, hmmmm, wait - they didn't discount for the rooms that weren't as heavily soiled.......

Clean carpet is clean carpet? Hmmm, so a steak is a steak? filet mignon should be the same price as sirloin?
Car washes charge extra for extra steps, but discount carpet cleaners are treated like pirahs because they do the same thing?

Granted, I will conceed that EVERY segment of our industry has bad apples, but surely you can see my point?

i apologize for any typos or fragmented sentences- i am running late for a meeting and don't have time to proof this

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom