Building house and garage

Name
Swani
April and I were set to buy a house with a shop and some acreage, but because of some major issues that wouldn't pass inspection we are probably going to have to shut that deal down. Instead we are looking at possibly building a new house with a garage/shop. We purchased this lot about 4 years back out of foreclosure from the bank. Some guy from California developed these lots and ended up going bankrupt. We never intended on building on it. I was just going to hold onto it and sell when the time was right. 890948909589096It has all the side walks, water, sewer and electric already at the lot. My question to you guys that have built before what are some things you wish you would have done after the fact of building. My main things I want are spray foam Insulation, radiant floor heat and a waste water dump site. I'm not sure on dimensions yet but I'm thinking over sized three stall garage with one bay having an oversized door. The home will probably be an open ranch around 2500 sq ft with a 9/12 pitch roof and an open attic space for extra room. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. I'm supposed to meet with a builder next week to discuss some ideas. These are some pics I had on my phone the lot is behind my Jeep. The lot is roughly a 1/2 acre.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Enough lighting for the application, electrical outlet locations, water access, floor drain. Wide walk in doors so you don't need to open up the big doors in the winter.

Shelving considerations, especially overhead around the perimeter. That's usually wasted space and can be good storage for you.

Are you planning on doing rugs? You could design one bay as a wash pit with a drain and I flowing water.

Name
Swani
Enough lighting for the application, electrical outlet locations, water access, floor drain. Wide walk in doors so you don't need to open up the big doors in the winter.

Shelving considerations, especially overhead around the perimeter. That's usually wasted space and can be good storage for you.

Are you planning on doing rugs? You could design one bay as a wash pit with a drain and I flowing water.
All great input! I'm a ways out from doing rugs but it is in my future plans. Hopefully I will have an actual shop dedicated to that by then.

Reactions: Cleanworks

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
The inspector ain't gonna OK a floor drain......
Sooooooo do all the drain plumbing and hide the floor drain with a coffee can......
When Mr inspector leaves.. jus chip the can out and install the little grate....

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
We've been dreaming for years about getting into something that will work better for home and business. The homes with lots of space and obnoxiously large garages are all near $500k and are usually in more exclusive neighborhoods.

We went to the Des Moines home show a couple weeks ago and spoke with a builder of pole barn homes. He uses Amish framers and thinks we can build for nearly half of what we are finding in traditional construction.

I NEED a better space for our business and am tired of paying rent at a shop without a drain OR running water. It's getting increasingly hard to be excellent without the right location. We are likely going to sell our home and use the equity to take a step forward this Summer and build.

Radiant in floor heat would be great. I want an office off the garage too. I'm not sure whether to build a separate garage/office or just make it 1 huge building?

Mel is on board after expressing some of her concerns about pole buildings to this builder. These buildings are popping up everywhere in IA and I think we can make it nice and fancy enough for the wife!

Name
Swani
We've been dreaming for years about getting into something that will work better for home and business. The homes with lots of space and obnoxiously large garages are all near $500k and are usually in more exclusive neighborhoods.

We went to the Des Moines home show a couple weeks ago and spoke with a builder of pole barn homes. He uses Amish framers and thinks we can build for nearly half of what we are finding in traditional construction.

I NEED a better space for our business and am tired of paying rent at a shop without a drain OR running water. It's getting increasingly hard to be excellent without the right location. We are likely going to sell our home and use the equity to take a step forward this Summer and build.

Radiant in floor heat would be great. I want an office off the garage too. I'm not sure whether to build a separate garage/office or just make it 1 huge building?

Mel is on board after expressing some of her concerns about pole buildings to this builder. These buildings are popping up everywhere in IA and I think we can make it nice and fancy enough for the wife!
I like the idea of a post frame home, but I need to educate myself more on the topic of pros and cons.

Reactions: Russ T.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
I set mine up to where if I want to be done I can. Corner lot, separate entrance from the house🤷🏼‍♂️ Front and back doors on building, with parking in back and side. Lean too on other side for parking trailer. About 70k so far. But that includes more than just building. $260k for house and lot before building.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
'fore you start building a "shop" check zoning and insurance coverage

I'd most certainly have detached structure for shop.

extra lg attached garage on the house fine and dandy ...but the "shop" would be a separate structure w/12ft ceiling

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Living The Dream

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
I would go steel building with at least 18ft eaves that way you can have an upstairs office without super low ceiling height.

If you look on pinterest there is some really cool residential home designs as well made from steel buildings, once all finished out they are pretty nice and built like a tank.

For the house part I prefer 1 story and high ceilings, 2,000sqft with really high ceilings can feel like a much larger home... but it does increase your heating costs a bit.

Ron K

1/2 acre may not afford space for drain field and reserve.
Pressurized or White Water or anything above ground because the ground doesn't Perk forget about it. I would think you couldn't do any kind of volume or you'd flood your tank and field. If you're going to be serious you'll need a sewer.......

Name
Swani
1/2 acre may not afford space for drain field and reserve.
Pressurized or White Water or anything above ground because the ground doesn't Perk forget about it. I would think you couldn't do any kind of volume or you'd flood your tank and field. If you're going to be serious you'll need a sewer.......
I've got city sewer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom