Business opportunity for guys in the north or northeast

Ivan Turner

Supportive Member
Name
Ivan Turner
I just returned from a short stint doing demo and dry-outs in Marlborough Massachusetts. Our St. Louis guys are still there and may be for a couple more weeks.

While there, I ran across some guys from a Minnesota company that were there for the sole purpose of melting ice dams. Anyway, there were around 10 men from the same company. Each had a pick-up truck equipped with a pressure washer attached to a small heat exchanger that allowed them to ascend roofs, where they would melt off the ice dams, up the roof line @2 feet up. In addition thy would use heat guns to thaw outside spigots and the gutters to allow for run-off.

The company charged $450 per hour with a 2 hour minnum, while each employee was earning and incredible $150 per hour. The employees were clean cut, uniformed and very well trained in sales and had more work than they could possibly handle.

They worked high end neighborhoods exclusively. While I would not pay that kind of money for ice dam removal, the folks they targeted had no problems, especial when the salesmen/workers explained the cost of doing nothing. By the way this company are masters at getting press attention. Radio, television news print, etc. love to share their story, which in turns generates great leads.

One of the guys told me that the machine they use pays for itself on the very first job which I do not doubt. After all it is simply pressure washer with some modifications. The wand was not a typical pressure washing wad. These had several jets that covered larger areas.

We certainly don't have the harsh winters that guys in the Great North have, but I just wanted to pass along this information for you guys. It might be a way of bumping up the winter numbers.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
The thought of a bunch of guys on ladders messing around with icy roofs keeps me out of that game.
I wont even do my own houses.

Great reward for sure but with great rewards come great RISK.

Ivan Turner

Supportive Member
Name
Ivan Turner
I would have thought the same thing regarding bucket truck. However, I saw many individuals on extensions with no known problems. Workers Comp would have to be extremely high, as it normally is anyway for the roofing classification. Nonetheless, I found the whole concept of de-icing pretty clever as a business opportunity. Chavez, we have even better weather over here on the right side of the Missouri weather. MIZZOU Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Think its better fit for the roofing companies. They have the insurance and training.

Well if you call what most roofing companies provide training anyway :oldrolleyes:

Ivan Turner

Supportive Member
Name
Ivan Turner
lol, Shane. Well if you call what most roofing companies provide training anyway :oldrolleyes:

Richard, Richard, Richard that hurt! ----------------------------------------------------------> NOT :)

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Enjoy the weather Ivan! :cool:

jayhawk.gif

Ivan Turner

Supportive Member
Name
Ivan Turner
I think this is the company I was speaking about. www.IceDamGuys.com The tool in this video is not the same one the technician was showing me. The one I saw looked more like a leaf rake with each tyne allowing for steam to come out. Either way, this guy has carved out an awesome business. Simply taking a power washer, adding extreme heat and raking in he dough. Who knows, the next time the upper east coast is hit this hard, I may consider doing something similar.

steve_64

that money would be better spent on venting the roof and making sure the insulation is installed properly.

also making sure there is ice shield installed at least three feet up from the edge.

sounds like they are being sold on fear. not how i want to do business.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom