Butler System vibration

Name
Andrew
My dad was a tool and die maker. One of his tools was a run-out dial micrometer. He would carefully rotate a pulley or such to detect and cure such sources of mystery vibrations.

Due to "stacking tolerances" otherwise acceptable parts in combination can be ever so slightly out of spec.

Measure it carefully.

I'm thinking the belts are very slightly misaligned by the engine. I know 2 very good mechanics that I've done business with for years that I'll talk to about it

Name
Andrew
So in the middle of a job the pulley starts sliding off and I'm down for the day. I did exactly what the guy from Butler told me to do and it ended up screwing everything up. I'm getting really sick of this thing

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
Andrew, Order a remanufactured drive shaft and clutch from Butler. If the pulley worked loose it probably screwed up the end of the shaft. I ran Butlers for 25 years and replaced a driveshaft in almost everyone.

steve_64

Ahhh memories of buying the WM.

I was lucky to find modernistic to help me. Problems arose when I started getting work done on it. They helped me along as I learnt the machine.

I had to drive 3 hours each way a few times but well worth it.

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
I cringe a bit at Butler getting a bad rap for what happens to 2nd and 3rd owners a decade after the original sale.
Butler and Aerotech make the best trucks on the market, when you buy a used truck you have to expect some downtime. When it does go down, bite the bullet and fix it right the first time and get back to work.

Name
Andrew
Omg! It's all fixed! I was definitely tightening that pulley all wrong. I made about a centimeter of adjustment on both the pulleys and tightened em down the correct way. I spent all night working on it. And the blower was at a slant so the belts were wobbling back and forth. Now everything is perfectly straight and tensioned and no more vibration anywhere! :rockon:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom