Butler versus CDS 4.8

Worker

Name
Nawaaz "Sonny" Ismail
Hello all. I recently purchase a new Express 3500 Extended. I'm torn between the top of line Butler versus CDS 4.8. I will have to shell out several thousand dollars more on the Butler and a lot of that is going towards shipping costs back and forth. I have a local Jon Don for support on the CDS however the Butler should not cause me any headache from my research. I really want to go for the Butler, however the shipping costs and inconvenience is throwing me off. I truly want the best equipment without compromise. Any unbiased advice, please?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Man, that's one hell of a game you're playing on yourself. What do you want?

Its sounds like despite the extra cost, you want a Butler. Is it worth the extra? Only if it's what you want.

They all squirt and suck. They all work great when new...they all need some repair as they age.

I've owned several of both. Each are nice machines, each as they've aged had issues. I do prefer the large ss tanks of the Butler but don't care for their small vac hose reel or top of the tank clean out, that requires you to buy a separate filter box to make convenient.

Last edited:

Worker

Name
Nawaaz "Sonny" Ismail
Man, that's one hell of a game you're playing on yourself. What do you want?

Its sounds like despite the extra cost, you want a Butler. Is it worth the extra? Only if it's what you want.

They all squirt and suck. They all work great when new...they all need some repair as they age.

Just want to make the most wise decision since I plan to keep at this business for the next 5+ years. I want the Butler from everything I've read and the feedback I've received, however there may be a point where I draw a line since it's seems like $7-10k premium over the CDS (this includes cross country shipping back and forth despite Butler helping share a bit of that cost).

Worker

Name
Nawaaz "Sonny" Ismail
oh...you already have the van..

both are tried and tested and proven units and you can't go wrong with either.

Who is going to work on it?

Yes, already picked up a new Express 3500 Extended for a sweet deal.

If I go with the Butler, then of course Butler themselves would complete everything. If I go with the CDS 4.8, then my local JonDon 30 minutes away would complete the process. Having options is good however it can cloud my mind a bit since I can tend to overthink it perhaps.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Butler features... M

Stainless tanks (won't corrode)

Non Grease drive shaft (huge advantage!)

Butler will do extra features to make sure the unit and van run properly in hot and cold weather and not have to open your hood (actually never open the hood on a Butler while cleaning for extra cooling!)

Extra attention even if you provide the van to different front end coil springs so no tire wear or premature wear of components

10 year warranty on the Butler (which you really won't probably have a problem and need due to build quality)

Easy plug and play components

Large blower and easy to clean and high heat units that are easy to maintain and clean and always have heat vs a fin style radiator that will plug with junk fast

Saigerized Y bypass vac hose set up for very reasonable price.

Your van will probably last longer with the way Butler sets them up (old 93 with over 11,000 hours and 250,000 road miles with all original drive trane equivalent to 619,000 miles on that motor not taking oil)

Easiest belts to change on the cleaning unit. Easy to get to components.

No transfer pump or water transfer components to go bad from fresh water tank.

They last... They make money... They tend to make more money because they last longer and even used ones fetch a high price...

Just some things for consideration....

Mikey P

Administrator

Mark exactly will Butler do to his pre purchased van?

Reactions: Worker

Worker

Name
Nawaaz "Sonny" Ismail
Thank you all for the responses and feedback. I am grateful. Looks like the Butler has a strong and loyal following - just as Toyota has its 4Runner following. I'm all for quality and longevity. The other local options seem to be great and not so wrong. Local service is a plus however I prefer not to be as dependent - and plus, communicating with Butler long distance may teach me a thing or two. My expectations are high, therefore Butler's "Saiger setup" may perhaps fit accordingly. I'm open and appreciative to further advice.

* The setup quote and cost is taking into account my separate van purchase.

* I do appreciate the attention to detail on advising the heavier duty front springs for the 3500 Extended Van.

* Also, paying someone to fly out and drive back is an idea. Dont know how I'd feel with 2000 miles the truck, fuel, and wear / risk on the truck. Trying to see if I can work a more reasonable shipping fee at this time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob Pruitt

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Thank you all for the responses and feedback. I am grateful. Looks like the Butler has a strong and loyal following - just as Toyota has its 4Runner following. I'm all for quality and longevity. The other local options seem to be great and not so wrong. Local service is a plus however I prefer not to be as dependent - and plus, communicating with Butler long distance may teach me a thing or two. My expectations are high, therefore Butler's "Saiger setup" may perhaps fit accordingly. I'm open and appreciative to further advice.

* The setup quote and cost is taking into account my separate van purchase.
Keep in mind, any truck mount mechanic who can work on a cds or cleanco, can probably figure out a butler. They would be the most qualified people to be on the phone with butler when doing service or repairs.

sassyotto

Name
Paul
Heck, I live in Wisconsin and my current TM I got (van and machine were 6 months old) I went to Las Vegas to get. Why not drive and get it put in?

Reactions: Desk Jockey

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
If you didn't buy that van, It seems that Butler has the upper hand from Mark's comments. But the headache and spending the extra money of getting that van up there... I don't think it's worth it to get the Butler in that van.

Put that machine to work sooner and spend less. You'll end up with more money in your pocket and you won't be able to tell much of a difference in performance. If the mechanics don't know how to install a CDS, just put a Titan 575 in there. You'll get the same performance as those direct drives and your van will last longer.

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
Your HydraMaster will be out of warranty in 3 years but it includes labor for those 3 years. You will also have a little more room in the van. In 5 years it will be junk. Aluminum waste tank and powder coated steel. Resale in 5 years is...not much. IMO.
The Butler has a 10 year warranty but you do the labor...which is pretty basic and easy to do. You will have a little less room in the van. In 5 years you will be half way through your warranty and your van will have a re-sale that is very impressive.
Both clean carpet. Butler is a little hotter. Cleaning rugs and upholstery on the same residential job it is nice to have a unit with such a wide range of water temperature that is very adjustable.
I ordered the neoprene insulation package and it makes the Butler very comfortable to get into on those very hot days here in Florida.
110 gallon stainless steel...not plastic fresh water tank. 210 gallon stainless steel waste tank...not powder coated aluminum.
The travel, shipping etc. is a tax deductible.
Go full Saiger...totally worth the extra cost.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Just want to make the most wise decision since I plan to keep at this business for the next 5+ years. I want the Butler from everything I've read and the feedback I've received, however there may be a point where I draw a line since it's seems like $7-10k premium over the CDS (this includes cross country shipping back and forth despite Butler helping share a bit of that cost).
He said 7-10 grand more.

Reactions: Worker

Glynn

Your HydraMaster will be out of warranty in 3 years but it includes labor for those 3 years. You will also have a little more room in the van. In 5 years it will be junk. Aluminum waste tank and powder coated steel. Resale in 5 years is...not much. IMO.
The Butler has a 10 year warranty but you do the labor...which is pretty basic and easy to do. You will have a little less room in the van. In 5 years you will be half way through your warranty and your van will have a re-sale that is very impressive.
Both clean carpet. Butler is a little hotter. Cleaning rugs and upholstery on the same residential job it is nice to have a unit with such a wide range of water temperature that is very adjustable.
I ordered the neoprene insulation package and it makes the Butler very comfortable to get into on those very hot days here in Florida.
110 gallon stainless steel...not plastic fresh water tank. 210 gallon stainless steel waste tank...not powder coated aluminum.
The travel, shipping etc. is a tax deductible.
Go full Saiger...totally worth the extra cost.

My Oldest Hydramaster (Titan 575) is 10 years old. Its waste tank hasn't failed nor has the paint come off it .
Nor has it had any issues.
And, I could sell it now for nearly 2/3 what it cost new.
And it paid for itself within it's first 2 months

I'd go with the Hydramaster.

Back
Top Bottom