Buying A House

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Just bought a new (built 1973) house, finally convinced the wife that "this is the one". When house shopping I would always check the garage door height. This house has a nice deep 2 1/2 car garage, but door is 5 inches too short for the 2500 Express with Pro 1200. Even fully loaded with the Cimex, freshy tank full, all the other goodies I carry, the van is still 83-84 inches at the very rear. The door is 79" at full open. I told wifey it would fit, one of my kids spilled the beans that it wouldn't. She bitched. So now I have to raise the door header, (which I planned to do before winter), add a panel, insulate walls and ceiling, and have the GD reinstalled. There's plenty of ceiling height, just a low door.

No more driving to the shop to store the van.

FML.......

sassyotto

Name
Paul
did the same thing here. We were a medium size water/fire restoration company back in 1999 when my wife and I decided to downsize to just me cleaning carpets. Went from a shop to buying a house (#1 requirement was a garage floor drain LOL) but the garage door was just a tad low so we had to raise the header and get a taller door. Changed both doors to insulated doors, insulated the attic and walls and installed a gas heater. My wife LOVES getting into a warm garage in the winter.

Reactions: rwcarpet

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
I built a 1000 square foot shop with 10' ceiling, 18X8' garage door, heated and A/C with bathroom. Neither van has ever been inside during the Ohio winter.

Go figure!

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Good for you! Congratulations! Not having to go anywhere but home after or during work is terrific.

True dat Kenny. I've been renting a shop for over 30 years. Coulda bought the building. So tired of parking in front of the door, going in through the man door, opening a stubborn 12x12 door, manually. It's not insulated, so it frosts up in real cold weather. Landlord won't replace it or install and opener. It would have cost me at least $2500 to replace. And it's a commercial door, so many companies wouldn't touch it.

I'll probably keep it (at $400 a month for 2000sf x 12' ceilings) and sublet it to my motor head friends.

Reactions: Kenny Hayes

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I built a 1000 square foot shop with 10' ceiling, 18X8' garage door, heated and A/C with bathroom. Neither van has ever been inside during the Ohio winter.

Go figure!

Bob, you live in the temperate zone of Ohio. I live in the NE of Ohio. just 3-400 miles SW makes that much of a difference.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Son of a gun, can’t believe somebody else out there living my life!! I did the exact same at my rented 30 yr. building. Had Street Outlaws OKC at one end of my piece of crap building and a music studio that gave kid lessons next door on one side, and an AK manufacturer and sales on the other. I couldn’t take it anymore. Nearly impossible to get in and out of my piece of crap shop. I’m in heaven now!!!

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
I got her a BIG kitchen to get lost in. I just want her off my back. I'm too old.
I pushed the wrong like button😂 I did that too. Mine really was on my back about moving the shop and the house. I mean she was out nearly every other day looking for that place. But I found it🤷🏼‍♂️

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
My plan:

The garage is 24x24. I'm adding 20' to the front. I need to raise the garage door. I'm also planning on raising the entire current garage by 2', by jacking it up, having a block layer come in and add 3 course of block, and lay the foundation for the addition. I was going to just raise the roof x 2 feet, add an additional 2 foot stud wall, but all info says not to, because it would create a knee joint between the original wall and the upper, new wall. Wouldn't be a problem until a good wind hits.

Or tear it down and build an entire new garage.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom