Can someone enlighten me on what causes these GD Trilobe blowers to fail?

FredC

Village Idiot
This blower doesn’t have grease ports to lubricate it. And spraying a lubricate in the cups isn’t made for lubricating it. It’s made to get any water out of the impellers or turbines. Whatever they’re called
lobes

Reactions: BIG WOOD

steve_64

This blower doesn’t have grease ports to lubricate it. And spraying a lubricate in the cups isn’t made for lubricating it. It’s made to get any water out of the impellers or turbines. Whatever
Don't believe me then.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
while you have stuff apart maybe clean the exchangers and make sure nothing is choking the intake or discharge....

if you tear the old one down let us know what it looks like on the inside

I don’t know how it looks inside the silencer yet, but I opened up the heat exchangers. I see no blockage. I wasn’t able to get a pic of the first fin coil, but I could see through a bolt hole and I noticed no blockage. It breathes fine on this part

9D4B4939-1481-44FF-8D7B-F73E727A0C7E.jpeg B359FAF8-ACD1-4D60-A417-59CB1B941733.jpeg 8F73A2AA-C42F-47AA-9977-A33ABA6A6188.jpeg

Reactions: FredC

FredC

Village Idiot
I'd probably still make an effort to clean/degrease everything while I had it apart.....reduced back pressure and more heat

I don't know how feasible that is having never played with an everest heat exchanger

Reactions: Cleanworks

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
It's a pain getting access to the other side of that heat exchanger. It's not a friendly design down there

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
don't be lazy....
I see no blockage. I'm not going to waste any time on something that might cause another problem if I re-install it incorrectly because of the unfriendly location it's in.

No laziness here. I was under my thermal wave all day yesterday, replacing everything in the fuel system. (fuel pump, filter, and all fuel lines, and vacuum hose line on valve cover) The previous owner used transmission fuel lines, and a no name, incorrect pressure fuel pump, and caused it to almost catch on fire with it burning lean, causing my entire exhaust system to glow. I just pulled the van out of the shop prior to this problem. (rear engine seal, power steering guts, timing gear box, exhaust pipe doughnut).

Both vans have been down for a week since the everests problems have started. I"m in no mood to be lazy. Just not gonna do something that doesn't need to be done.

I'm not having a good start to the year

steve_64

Matt, you say that machine was a demo. That means they probably ran it for an hour then parked it for weeks at a time. Condensation does get inside and causes corrosion which tightens the tolerances up. Probably why it's always been an issue. My butler will bog down too if I don't keep it cleaned and lubricated. I always notice better airflow too after and tge belts last longer. Part of why ibfeel so strongly about this. Get a can of liquid wrench lubricant and squirt the heck out of it. It runs cooler too. It helps break the rust and carbon off. I've watched it come out of the exhaust. It's a performance issue.

• Love

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Got the blower out. Can’t remove the bottom pipe, so I’m having a new one made Monday. ☹️

Here’s a couple pics of the lobes. I hear a mild grind when I turn the shaft. I tried moving the shaft side by side and it didn’t have any play this time. Weird

05A347CC-0719-4451-9BA8-FE40F0B52914.jpeg 946BED19-13A3-4E7D-84FB-7C9FBAB72460.jpeg 4FA46CBA-99FC-474B-BB4E-189AE10FD3DC.jpeg

FredC

Village Idiot
If it just sounds a bit scratchy it’s probably just the rust buildup

but maybe when it heats up there is more interference.............I'd expect more noise though

You clean that heat exchanger yet?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Can’t remove the bottom pipe, so I’m having a new one made Monday

this one?

1674949750105.png

need to bolt down/secure the blower some how, then a 6ft cheater bar on the pipe wrench
If that doesn't get it, then it's torch and cheater bar

and what good is a new one if you can't get the old one out? :headscratch:

what am I missing Woodrow?

..L.T.A.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
this one?

View attachment 120542

need to bolt down/secure the blower some how, then a 6ft cheater bar on the pipe wrench
If that doesn't get it, then it's torch and cheater bar

and what good is a new one if you can't get the old one out? :headscratch:

what am I missing Woodrow?

..L.T.A.
Idiot

I have a new blower that the pipe is going in. The one in the picture is the bad blower. And yes, the cheater bar, strapped to the table and a torch was used today. It ain’t budgin

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom