can this VCT can be restored ?

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
I just landed this job but not sure what to expect after a strip and wax.

I'm not much experienced w/ VCT but I have a square scrub and every color pad for it.

Will all these stains be removed after a good stripping?

The long black streak in the 2nd picture looks like ink. And, there's a bunch of rust and other stains too.

The existing finish is old, maybe non-existant in some areas, and looks yellow in color.

What type of results can i expect from a good strip and wax?

Will the rust stains come off?

thanks!

IMAG0845.jpg

IMAG0846.jpg

IMAG0847.jpg

Doug Rice

Supportive Member
I would probably use a rotary to strip with as you don't want stripper all over your SS. Use a good stripper and give it time to work. On the rust stains if they don't scrub off try using a bit of comet to lighten or remove it. The ink might not come out if it is under the finish, VCT is porous and will absorb dyes. I think it will look great after a little work as VCT is pretty durable. Remember your also a carpet cleaner and we make our money making stains disappear.

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
George use a black pad on your square scrub and wet strip it
Will not mess the machine up at all a lot cleaner then slinging stripper around with a rotary
And I think it works better also rust prob will come right out

RGH269

Name
Bobby Hales
Most of that will probably come out with a strip. As mentioned above VCT is a porus product and as long as a stain hasn't gone to deep into it it will usually come out. Rust can be a trouble maker but I have used rust remover in my spotting kit successfully on it. You do need to inform your customer of the fact not all stains or spots can be removed before begining, as in carpet or anything alse under promise and over deliver. Also if floor has been stripped in the past and stripping solution has run under furniture and discolored that many times is a permanent stain that cannot be removed.

M

Mattsfc

For the rust stains use towels and soak with bleach the towels help keep the tile wet with the bleach. Let this sit for about an hour or so also inform the customer in time the rust stains will lighten ever further , especially what's close to windows to get some sunlight

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Bleach works sometimes.....BEWARE IF YOU ARE AROUND IT FOR VERY LONG IT WILL MAKE YOU SICK :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: ask me how i know :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

i would say 90-95% of that should come out....

the comet is a good idea to....rust remover....ehhhh be quick as its an acid and may etch the floor

you would be suprized what will come off the floor, as it may look like all the finish is off...there is just enough there

maybe ill scan a few in from my auto zone nasty days to show you....

Jay D

Name
Jay D
use a rotary, a couple black pads, and yes comet works great when nothing else does. You cant heel a square scrub as you can a rotary and you will need to heel the buffer on that floor. charge good cuz you will be awhile. :roll:

Jay D

Name
Jay D
use a rotary, a couple black pads, and yes comet works great when nothing else does. You cant heel a square scrub as you can a rotary and you will need to heel the buffer on that floor. charge good cuz you will be awhile. :roll:

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
Kewl!

All great advise.

I'll be sure to get some before / after pics and post them.

Name
BradFenstermaker
take both rotary and square. You may need the both. You prob wont have any problems with most of it. I worked with a friend doing sherman williams paint stores. AMAZING what came right off. Of course I was chasing his sidewinder propane powered stripper with a walk behind squeegee vac.

I learned alot those years but can't stand the down time waiting on the floor finish coats to dry. Haven't done a floor in years

this is what I danced with. Paul's was a Noble brand

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Viper-SN18WD-Sh ... 2318f7090d

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
Doug Rice said:
How did your VCT floor turn out?
Any pics?

I ended up doing a buch of carpet and vct for them but in the end they decided this vct wasn't worth a dollar a s/f to refinish.

I told them that "if it wasn't worth a dollar a s/f to them then it wasn't worth wasting my time on".

The gal even emailed me the nicest "everything looks great" letter I ever received.

Thanks for the input everyone! I used several of your tips on the other vct I did for them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom