Cargo vans / freeze prevention ?

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
Those of you with winters and cargo/box vans - how do you keep your gear from freezing in the winter while traveling between jobs?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Reactions: SMRBAP

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Just use the vans heater, you should have no problem. Stick a thermometer in the back and turn the van on for five/ten minutes, It gets pretty hot after a few minutes.

Able 1

Name
Keith
No box truck here, but maybe an inverter and a ceramic heater might work..

Mine froze last week... Thank god it was only one of the hoses from the water box leaking. Freaked me out when I saw it though!:eekk:
View attachment 1370

Able 1

Name
Keith
I think most would freak out! Was that the -20 windchill day!?

Yeah, my helper didn't work for like three of those cold days... Crazy thing is I have the thermostat set at 60 degrees blowing right at the heat exchangers. That ice is right in the middle of the van..

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
in vans the heater its self would keep it plenty warm

in a attached box....i just cut a hole in the wall and it drew the warm air back...

detached, then maybe like Larry said...

but really...unless you are driving for HOURS in 10 or below your setup should stay warm enough with what you had it heated to plugged in....

or turn your machine on for a few miles while you drive...it heats the box/trailer up just fine

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
Thanks guys.

LTA - thanks for the links, the body builders have been quoting me $1000 plus for about the exact same thing - will install one of these guys after delivery.

I may not be able to have a door or opening cab to box with the configuration I am designing so I'm going to need (maybe more want for piece of mind) something back there.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
remember though you will want a higher thermostat for the loss of heat to that back one...

which in the summer you need to switch it back out

Dave Rampage

The best heater is the 45,000 btu from Northern Factory Sales. Their number is (800) 328-8900. I've been using coolant heaters for 10 years in my box trucks and these heat up the best and have lasted the longest.

Dave

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Usually not a problem in short distances but if it is going to sit outside for hours we would start the unit and let it run for 5-10 minutes to get the box warm every couple of hours. The only time we've froze stuff was when we were extracting for 3-hours with the door open. It was negative wind chills and the wind blew in froze preheaters.

Back
Top Bottom