Carpet Preference

CJ-FL

Name
CK-FL
I'm getting some new carpet in my personal home and wanted opinions on what to look for. I've always simply requested "solution dyed nylon" but is there anything else you would suggest? Brand, etc...? Thanks in advance.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I'm getting some new carpet in my personal home and wanted opinions on what to look for. I've always simply requested "solution dyed nylon" but is there anything else you would suggest? Brand, etc...? Thanks in advance.
Type 6.6 is considered higher end than 6 but a well constructed 6 is fine. Stick with a branded carpet like Shaw, mohawk or one of DuPont's brand names. Go with the highest face weight you can afford. 55 ounce in a well constructed carpet can last you a lifetime. Consider DuPont pet proof carpet if you have pets. Make sure the installer uses a power stretcher. Most don't. Choose a colour that will help to hide soil.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Type 6.6 is considered higher end than 6 but a well constructed 6 is fine. Stick with a branded carpet like Shaw, mohawk or one of DuPont's brand names. Go with the highest face weight you can afford. 55 ounce in a well constructed carpet can last you a lifetime. Consider DuPont pet proof carpet if you have pets. Make sure the installer uses a power stretcher. Most don't. Choose a colour that will help to hide soil.

Exactly

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Consider where in the home the carpet will be used and the type of use it will get. SOlution dyed nylon is great, but not every room needs that. If there are no large south or east facing windows to influence sun-fading and you don't use harsh chemistry to clean, regular nylon will do. If the traffic is not heavy, one of the newer triexta or polyesters with good density will hold up fine.

Reactions: Andy

SamIam

Name
sam miller
So no white?
Ps he’s a carpet cleaner so soil hiding might not be a problem.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
As mentioned the type 6.6 stain resistant nylon is a good choice. Definitely not polyester no matter how good it is supposed to be.

It doesn’t need to be real heavy. Best to get a continuous filament rather than a staple yarn that fuzzes. Prefer thicker strands rather than buying a softer feeling carpet as it seems to wear and look better. Not too light in color.

Reactions: Cleanworks

revitalize

Name
adrian
I own a flooring store in addition to carpet cleaning. Call me at 262-472-9495 anytime Wednesday afternoon, or anytime Thursday/Friday. I can either get you the lowdown for what you want or you can buy rug and we will get it shipped to your nearest dealer/distributor.

CJ-FL

Name
CK-FL
So I had some new carpet installed in my house today. Was looking around when I got home from work. The 1st room they did, the first 4’-5’ of the roll is yellow like something spilled on it during storage. Another room, which is 14’ x 16’ had 2 seams installed along the 12’ length. One at 9.5’ and another just over 2’ away at 10.5’. The first seam falling right in a highly trafficked doorway.

4D0F669A-BD54-4E55-AF0B-AB073BD1E12A.jpeg

E130DD37-7D37-4C80-AA3C-4A9378934E3D.jpeg

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Have them pull it out and replace it. The yellowing could be a combination of preservative (bht?) As well as exposure to UV light. Last piece on the roll get more light exposure than the rest of the carpet. Usually not cleanable. You need to determine where the Seams are to go with the installer prior to installation or put up with where he chose to put them. Insist on power stretching, otherwise the carpet may buckle from humidity or cleaning.

Reactions: Hack Attack
Name
BradFenstermaker
Installer cheaper on the install. They just took the fastest route. It's not there home or they would of put that seam 2 ft off opposite wall.

I would have to complain about that.
Installer also should of stopped laying the stained room.

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
yep joins need to be discussed beforehand otherwise you'll get the "this works easiest for us" install

power stretcher needs to be discussed also, because if a lazy installer thinks he can kick it in faster he will..

that discoloured section would have me in a tourettes fit 🤬

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
That looks to me like home depot work also. You gotta quit hiring those big franchise services CJ. They're really shady people, LOL

Brian H

Name
Brian H
I agree with others about talking to the installers about where the seams will fall prior to installation. Really though, it need to be talked about when the carpet is ordered. Depending on the layout of your rooms, you may have to order a bit extra to get the seams to fall in a discrete area.

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
Can you sketch a layout of the 2 rooms and hallway and post it? If nothing else throw a fit about the seams showing not just the location. The visible seams indicate a subpar job to begin with.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom