Carpet Stretching

realclean

Name
Jesse Lowe
I get about 5 to 8 calls a month asking me if I stretch carpet.

Now my question is, is this something worth doing? Does it make profit for you if you do it?

I also have no clue how to price this as I have never done it before.

I am just looking for some feedback. Thanks:confusedd:

hogjowl

Idiot™
You'll need to take a carpet repair course.

And then practice before you will be any good at it.

It's not rocket science, but like everything else in this business, you won't be very good at it until you have a few under your belt.

For me, it wasn't the stretching that was the problem. It was the seaming that took time to get any good at.

Today, there are better ways to seam though. With the new Kool Seal (or whatever they are called) seaming irons, you can get better much faster than in my day.

I have always had multiple calls for seaming over the years. In fact, I have two property management companies that are quite put out by the fact that I won't do repair work anymore.

I quit doing it because it took much longer to do and I was the only one who could do it. So, I was spending time doing something I didn't like (stretching and repairs) when I could have been doing what I liked to do ... which is cleaning.

Reactions: SamIam and WillS

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
call me sometime we do 1 or 2 every week
very rare to cut a seam sometimes ya have too
must have a helper we make good money doing these.
price it till ya like it kinda thing

Willy P

Name
Willy P
You'll need to take a carpet repair course.

And then practice before you will be any good at it.

It's not rocket science, but like everything else in this business, you won't be very good at it until you have a few under your belt.

For me, it wasn't the stretching that was the problem. It was the seaming that took time to get any good at.

Today, there are better ways to seam though. With the new Kool Seal (or whatever they are called) seaming irons, you can get better much faster than in my day.

I have always had multiple calls for seaming over the years. In fact, I have two property management companies that are quite put out by the fact that I won't do repair work anymore.

I quit doing it because it took much longer to do and I was the only one who could do it. So, I was spending time doing something I didn't like (stretching and repairs) when I could have been doing what I liked to do ... which is cleaning.

You nailed it Marty. That and my knees hate me. That and the money is much better cleaning.

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
Secret to this for me was getting off my knees and farming it out. Have a carpet shop here and they dispatch one of there Cholo installers before you can say "fire in the hole...." True, they are family owned gig and very good about building a relationship with me. I take their referral cleaning jobs (both good and bad) so long term it works well. Other shops around here are much more corporate and that wasn't what I was looking for. My family shop is in it for the long haul.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Steve Andrews and Barry Costa are the top 2 trainers for carpet repairs and restretching. They both hold classes. Steve Andrews also has the lessons on DVD. His site is Carpet Doctor or something similar.

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
Never had formal training. But learned by assisting and doing. Being handy with a seaming iron is a good thing. Hallways often require breaking seams. You can charge good money. Most people looking for the service are willing to pay. And are very happy to see those ripples disappear.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Stretching is easy to learn its the other stuff like seams or patching that takes more time to get. Powerstretcher is a must go with someone who does it to see, I like doing them because while I'm stretching a room generally I can have a helper cleaning its a great add on. I have Barry Acostas DVD's never looked at them though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom