Cat 3cp leaking

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I rebuilt this thing less then two weeks ago. At the time the pump was giving little pressure and the seal kit seemed to fix the problem.

Yesterday, it started leaking where the body and head connect. I took it apart again today and did not see a problem but tightened everything up and it's still leaking. There is no water in the oil.

Any ideas?

thanks,
Albert

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
did you make sure that the seals were put back on in the right direction....and how did you tighten up the head..........

hydracat

i think there are 2 sets of seals. an inner, at the housing, and the outer, at the pump head. I know pulling a pump apart with perfectly good seals can make them perfectly bad when put back together.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I agree with Jim on this one, don't ask me how I know..:icon_redface: I had one seal installed backwards and it worked OK for a while, then started leaking.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
did you make sure that the seals were put back on in the right direction....and how did you tighten up the head..........

Yesterday I took it apart. The low pressure seals are spring side facing down. I believe this is how it should be right?. The seals were new.

The head was tightened pretty good but I didn't kill it. I did tighten it a little more yesterday. It's still leaking but not as much.

I talked to cat this morning and the guy said that sometimes the seal retainer may be the problem. This is essentially a plastic ring that makes contact with the lps. I ordered a set from dultmier to see if that works. From the places I checked, this part is usually not stocked but it will be drop shipped from cat and should get it early next week.

BTW, kudos to dultmier. I had previously called 3 other places, left messages with no response. Within 2 minutes of calling Dultmier, they had me set. I've used them several times and have had great service.

Carpet cleaning San Jose

Reactions: GCCLee

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom