changing the blower out in my butler

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
pretty easy so far, i decided to take out the front seat just because it is 4 bolts and 1 wire..took 10 mins and gave me
a massive amount of room, and because i am a pretty big boy i needed it.
took the belts off, unhooked the tensioner pulley and a few hoses, 4 bolts and i am ready to pull it out.
any advice before i do from anyone that has done a swap out?
i will post up some pics tomorrow..
anything i should clean out or do while i have it apart?
dave

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Dave,

Get some HELP...It is one HEAVY b@tch..."if it is the 5.8 option"

Replace the short vac hose.."Marine grade hose"...good luck..

Seriously ....get a helping hand...

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
oh dont worry about that..i have 3 guys lined up to help hump it in and out..part of the reason for taking out the front seat.
i have no intentions on breaking my nuts on this bad boy..
and good idea to change out the lower blower hose while it is exposed.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
You are alot smarter than me.....

I pulled the front seat also....BUT being the Dumbass that I am....I thought I would just
lift it right out....It ended up in my lap...Once I had it broke loose...I was screwed...I had nowhere to put it down...I almost bought a PTO shaft.. :oops:

B

Bill G. Martin

How many hours on that puppy? Is it still under warranty? Now you have been filling out your daily service/inspection reports and mailing them in to Butler on time every year....right? That is such a Butler pain in the rumpus.

What was the problem and was the part pro-rated? Bet shipping cost a pretty penny....!!

Bill in central Florida

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
yep to all...

it had 1900 hrs on it and developed a bad bearing grind..the other truck we have has a few less hrs but runs great and the other butlers also
ran like a champ..oh well everything has to break/fail sometime..i dont see it as butlers fault at all it was a part failure..it happens.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
yes..i do a restaurant every 2 weeks and flush in their lot because it is early in the morning and no one is around..so i flush out every 2 weeks..

joe harper

Name
joe harper
That is a great feature the butler has...I have never lost a Butler blower...

The blower that I was removing was on my 96 Butler...Hurricane blew over a 100 + year
old water oak on it...CRUSHED the VAN...Right in the middle...I bought the Salvage from
the Insurance co...

It would be a Great time to soak the Exhaust silencer....Then take a air hose & blow any
surface rust out...Maybe even recoat the inside of the silencer with a rust inhibator...

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Replace everything made of rubber i.e. Belts and hoses. they are "cheap" and easier to do while the blower is out.

Mike Draper

Call Tuthill, or whoever makes the blower. It'll be half the price of buying it from Butler. I think the Tuthill 407 is around 1600-1700 from tuthill. I took mine out by myself and installed the Max HX. Make sure you hold the blower level or it will dump oil everywhere.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Dave,

DON'T DO IT...Buy it fro BUTLER...!!!

Butler changes 2 or 3 minor things on the Blower....It won't line up.. :twisted:

It will cost you about $2400.00 + +...but they will only warranty 1 year... :cry:

There is a LADY in ..I Believe...Gainsville that will re-build for a $500.00..if it is just bearings.

Around $1500.00 for a complete Rebuild...I hear she is REALLY GOOD...1 year warranty also..

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
its all good and will be here on wed from butler...all plumbed and ready to bolt on.
why would it dump oil if it is not level..it has a oil cap and should be sealed shouldnt it??
as heavy as it is i am sure it wont be fun to have to keep it level and not tilt it..

john thanks for the advise also..i already got the new belts from grainger and will replace the lower hose as well..

Mike Draper

DON'T CALL GRAINGER FOR THE BELTS!!! CALL BUTLER, THE BELTS FROM GRAINGER MIGHT BE DIFFERENT!

Around $1500.00 for a complete Rebuild...I hear she is REALLY GOOD...1 year warranty also..

HMMMMM, lets see 1500 for rebuild or 1700 for brand new Tuthill blower ( the one that Butler buys from tuthill and then marks it up 600+????? Should be an easy decision.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
mike i have gotten the belts from grainger in the past on a pinch as per their parts dept sending me to my local grainger with the part number from grainger...
and i would never buy anything for my truck that was not directly from butler unless i was advised by the butler guys to do so..
even if the blower was 1/2 the price if it is not a actual authorized part from butler it will not go on my truck..

Mike Draper

everything is relative. Just trying to help you save some money. My friend drives a Honda that is 10 yrs old. He will only go to the Honda store to get parts "because they are genuine Honda parts". You name it, oil because its genuine honda oil, windshield wipers, why? cause they are genuine honda, belts, batteries, head lights, etc..... Point is, he spends 2x as much money as the next guy. Just like the water pump i put in my butler back in march. It was $425.00 vs. butlers at $1750.00 . I would rather put $1325.00 in my pocket instead of butlers. They are Both cat pumps, both are nearly identical except mine will put out an extra half gallon per minute over the cat pump that butler buys and marks up. $1325.00

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I have a blower ready to install but still waiting for the bearing to go. The seal that lets me grease it already went so no more grease. I'm pretty sure that the oil has a vent to let out excess heat, so if you tip it , it will run out. You can plug them with a bolt or wrap it with some tape. I plan on using an engine hoist to change mine. Good idea about treating the silencer with some rust inhibitor. I lube my blower so much that the lobes didn't have any rust so hopefully the silencer won't either. Good luck let us know how it goes.

Gene

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
I had to replace my Roots #45, and the Stoddard 4" inlet/discharge silencer, and the connecting hard plumbing, last year, in my slide in TM. It was over-driven at 4150 and had over 16,000 hours on it. I definitely got my money's worth out of that blower.

I did it alone, and slid the old one down a board, and walked the new one up, and in.

What a dirty job. ...lol

Several hours later - viola...

2 weeks earlier I had to replace the Onan 20 HP with a Honda 24 HP.

A couple of new mounting brackets welded in, and it was good to go. I had a mechanic I use do that swap out. It cost me $100 labor, and an RV interior cleaning, but it was well worth it.

The TM is over 20 years old but now runs better than when it was new!

That Honda does not noticeably drop RPM under load.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
wow that was pretty easy..it took about 3.5 hrs to install the new one and that was doing a lot of checking and re checking..
also a dead battery and a rain storm included in that time frame..runs great and all is good to go.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
you got that right..i was crossing my fingers and holding my breath when i fired her up..man i was smiling big listening to that
sweet sound so almost silence compared to what i had for the last few months..it was funny when i went to fire up the
truck and all it would do was click..i knew the battery was low but everyone just kind of looked away like they
didnt want to see me freak out..the best thing i ever did was to yank out the front seat..so easy and the access it
gave me..

R

R W

I hope I never have to change out the blower in my Genesis. The TM would first have to come out of the van. Second, I don't know how in the world I would break that 4" nipple loose that exits the bottom and runs to the H/E-exhaust.
Anyone here every try changing out a Genny blower??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom