Cleaner died here this morning unnecessarily

Billy

Name
BH
This morning a cleaner set his truck up in a garage of a house being prepped for rental & died from Carbon Monoxide poisoning. I know it is cold but all of us should above all remember safety when trying to stay warm while cleaning.

We heard about this because clients have been contacting us to make sure it wasn't one of us.

We added an on-board Carbon Monoxide Detector to our truck last year for safety.

FredC

Village Idiot
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – A carpet cleaner died after succumbing to carbon monoxide fumes from a gas-operated generator inside a house while he was working.
Officials with the Metro Nashville Police Department said the male victim was found deceased inside the vacant home on Tulip Blossom Drive sometime before 10:30 a.m. Friday. The home was being prepped for rental.
The victim parked his van inside the garage while he cleaned the carpets. The gas generator was left running inside the garage. Fumes filled the house, and the victim succumbed to them while working upstairs.
His name was not immediately released.
No other details were known.

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/2...ies-after-fumes-from-gas-generator-fill-house

Name
Bruce
My Condolences to the family.

There is no reason any carpet cleaner should be parking their vans in a garage , no matter how cold you think it is out side. Those of us who live in the northern states have already proven 100's of times that you can clean in minus zero temps with out anything freezing , you just need to be smart about it.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I hope every cleaner reads this...too late for this poor man and his family, but if one more life is saved...

Hearbreaking..

Reactions: Mark Saiger
Name
Shawn Forsythe
These accidents happen because we often overlook details not so obvious. When cleaners think of this situation, they naturally associate the danger with a Truckmount, and the manner in which it was parked and run for operation. Actually the greater danger is that of devices we don't give pause, generators, often used by people cleaning with electric portables or other electrical equipment.

Beeks

Name
J.R.
Very unfortunate, though have heard this kind of story before, hope all take note

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Not my state, oh Lord
our prayers go out to all those affected by this tragic and preventable accident.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Sad....

Billy, if you find out more about the guy (perhaps thru a disty), let us know if there is a family or kids that will be in serious need. I'm sure some of us could pitch in for a quick help with a check sent to them. 20-50 bucks from a handful of guys here could make a difference.

Last edited:

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
I cleaned a very large GMC dealership for over 20 years....
had two big doors at each end.......
first time i cleaned... the owner wanted both doors DOWN......
two hours into the job i realized that this was not gonna work......
i almost died myself......so i cracked the doors about 2' each and used air movers

Billy

Name
BH
Sad....

Billy, if you find out more about the guy (perhaps thru a disty), let us know if there is a family or kids that will be in serious need. I'm sure some of us could pitch in for a quick help with a check sent to them. 20-50 bucks from a handful of guys here could make a difference.

I just seen an update on the news. They reported the man pulled the Van in the garage & closed the door while using the trucks generator to run his cleaning equipment, AKA Truck Mount. Also showed the van which was un-marked plain Ford that appeared to have a hose reel etc...

I don't recognize the van at all but If I find out who it was I will let y'all know.

It really is ashamed though seeing the van pulled into a small garage directly next to the inside entry door.

UPDATE: it was 37-year-old Al Batson Jr. that died according to news.

I don't personally know him & haven't found out the companies name yet.

Billy

Name
BH
Al Batson Jr. was the owner of a company out of Smyrna. I am still looking for his companies name though.

FredC

Village Idiot
Al Batson Jr. was the owner of a company out of Smyrna. I am still looking for his companies name though.

Think its "All Star Floor Care"

saw it on a google snippet where it looks like he posted but the site is down for maintenance

can't really find anything online about him/the company (like social networking, website, etc)...just the address/phone

Last edited:
Reactions: Billy

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I wonder if there is a simple way to set up a "mikeysboard" non profit fund that is a tax deductible way to donate for instances like this...

Name
Lee Stockwell
I wonder if there is a simple way to set up a "mikeysboard" non profit fund that is a tax deductible way to donate for instances like this...
NO

A decade ago a bunch of us set up a fund spearheaded by Jackson Lloyd. I was on the board with about 10 others. To set up a true "non profit" was going to require a minimum of $1500 a year in legal and filing fees.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
NO

A decade ago a bunch of us set up a fund spearheaded by Jackson Lloyd. I was on the board with about 10 others. To set up a true "non profit" was going to require a minimum of $1500 a year in legal and filing fees.

FOJL that going back awhile.

Sorry to hear about another needless death.

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
Really sad news. Printed article to post at my shop bt the check in area. Some safety stuff I am not sure they really here. I think I hear about someone dying needlessly every year.
We had a thread just a few months ago about this.

Reactions: Billy

Billy

Name
BH
Not sure if this is appropriate but the news just showed a Pic of Al Batson, Jr.

View attachment 3730

Now they are saying he could have been dead for quite some time because he was scheduled yesterday.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Now they are saying he could have been dead for quite some time because he was scheduled yesterday.

no one missed him for over 24 hours.....no one knew his schedule or where to look.......

Name
Dale Compton
I didn't know the guy, but things like this really hit home when it happens where you live. People were calling me all day to check on me. It's just terrible.

Reactions: GCCLee

Billy

Name
BH
I didn't know the guy, but things like this really hit home when it happens where you live. People were calling me all day to check on me. It's just terrible.

This is how we first heard about it, clients started contacting us to check on us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317

Reactions: GCCLee

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Guy's just trying to make a living and didn't think it could happen to him.

Be thankful the family wasn't home.

Reactions: Mardie

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
From CDC.gov:

What are the symptoms of CO poisoning?
The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. High levels of CO inhalation can cause loss of consciousness and death. Unless suspected, CO poisoning can be difficult to diagnose because the symptoms mimic other illnesses. People who are sleeping or intoxicated can die from CO poisoning before ever experiencing symptoms.

I was working in a brand new building once, not even open to the public yet. At the end of the day I had a splitting headache. Turns out a commercial water heater vent had been incorrectly installed right next to the AC unit's fresh-air intake.

It never even occurred to me my problem might be CO poisoning!

Keep the symptoms in mind, folks - pay attention to what your body is telling you!

GaryM

Name
Gary MacKay
This is much preventable and way too damn stupid! These stories are too damn often! Last local story here they decided to do a condo late at night & rolled into the garage and rolled down the garage door, end of fookin story!

Most carpet cleaners require supervision for a reason!!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom