Cleaning 2000 pieces of upholstery

John Buxton

I have an opportunity to clean a 15 story high end hotels upholstery. They have 384 rooms and 5 pieces per room. It's 500 miles away so I would have to take what I need, and stay till it's done.

Anyone ever done anything like this? I cant exactly test anything till I get there to do it.

S

sam miller

Good luck not having Your arm fall off if You get it.

I would take a case of all fiber textile rinse a case of Upholstery pre spray and citrus spotter and and maybe some Upholstery emulsifier.

Get to testing and cleaning. :shock:

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
This is where that Von Schrader type of cleaning system would come in handy. Small enough machine to carry around, process is fast and safe enough so you wouldn't be there a month.

How do you charge for that? Would they pay what is charged residentially? 5 pieces per room, if you went at $100/rm you're looking at a $38K paycheck. Will they pay that? Couldn't see cleaning any cheaper.

Good deal, hope you can get a good price for each room's uph!!

John Buxton

It pays 15K. 2 upholstered chairs, 2 small desk chairs and a small bench. Free room and food.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
John Buxton said:
It pays 15K. 2 upholstered chairs, 2 small desk chairs and a small bench. Free room and food.

THe hotel must be out of their mind or not had any compedative bids.

Most pay very close attention to the bottom line and would only pay 4-7k to clean all the carpet in the rooms.

Good for you if you get it. Your getting double or more than most hotels will pay.

If you are organized you and 2 helpers can do the job in 3-4 days.

Think assemply line. Have the cleaner sit in a chair while cleaning and have the helpers bring them to the cleaner, preconditioned and wipe down the frame as they are delived back to the rooms. Rotate every couple of hours or so.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
John Buxton said:

Can they at least send you some pictures to get an idea. Most hotels will have synthetic fabrics but if it is a high end you could see some cotton or rayon. As such I would want to have something like ProChems Fine Fabric Shampoo in place of dry cleaning.

Hopefully you have 2-3 techs and portables for each or 2 portables and one laborer for moving, prespraying refilling and dumping. You will need to be efficient to make this profitable. I am guessing 25-30 minutes per room which means you are looking at 100-125 hours.

Let us know how it works.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Take the chairs out of the rooms to a midpoint location and do several rooms at a time (if that works.) It will go very fast. The only hold up will be guest in their rooms holding up up.(could be a big pain in the butt waiting on guests)

Some fine fabrics can be cleaned by fabric shampoo, soft brush and towel. (NO machine needed, Except for pre-vac) Very fast!!

John Buxton

I have pics, but could never learn how to post here. The only piece that concerns me is the bench which appears shiny with red and white stripes.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
John Buxton said:
I have pics, but could never learn how to post here. The only piece that concerns me is the bench which appears shiny with red and white stripes.

That one sounds like it could be a candidate for the dry foam if it isn't in too bad a shape.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Encap may be a way to go on the upholstery. Portable machine meant for upholstery like the U.S. Products machine for HWE. A bonnet or soft brush on a right angle variable speed drill for another tech using encap plus a helper.

Name
Lee Stockwell
LOTS of white towels. Few gallons of ammonia to augment your other chemicals. HIGH quality quart spray bottles.

Vacuum
Mist of prespray
Wipe with DAMP towel
Detail with dry towel

Timer with bell. Twelve minutes per room.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Sounds like a great opportunity, John! Will you clean in the rooms, or bring the furniture to one point?

Of all the hotel owners I know......they would want the cleaning done, and then swap out and trade for "rooms".

I just finished up about 350 office chairs last month, but thet were all brought to me at one location in the building, and then they returned them to the offices.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Thats less than $40/room, less than $10/piece.
I guess the best way to work is to keep the end # in mind rather than $/piece. Be some hard work but 15K will be a good paycheque.

To complete the work in a 6 day week, 10hrs per day, you have about 10 minutes per room. Do you have a helper or two?
are you going to practice before you go?

John Buxton

I'm thinking it's got to be real fast, and safe so encap with a bucket and brush and white towels unless I have to use a porty on any nasties. Hopefully they're not too bad since it's a high end joint. Thanks everyone I appreciate the assistance

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You need a buffer and pad, so that on all the easy one's it's less physical work and just detail the rest with hand towel.

Hand bonnett or sea sponge will give you more contol than a brush. Yet still enough for aggitation just less moisture, safer, faster dryer.

Good luck!

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
most guys here will never see 15k in a week so if it takes 2 who cares. you should make a profit.

gene

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
You should get them to deliver all chairs to an area so that you dont have to move your equipment and supplies at all not even once.They will be more than glad to accommodate this for you if you ask and explain to them why.They will want this any way just so they wont have you roaming their corridors with your men and equ. If you have to start moving your show each time this will be a gong show. Food, room and parking supplied is to be expected. I would not charge for travel expenses. When you write up the quote you should state that the price per piece is based on 2000 pieces or whatever it is that they are saying and will increase for every 500 chairs less they give you or you can charge a premium for travel based on 1500 pieces or less. They may have 2000 pieces but when the time comes may only bring you the ones that they think realy need to be done. That could be as little as 700 pieces at the end of the day.

Mardie

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom