Cleaning Electric Baseboard Heaters

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Going to be unavailable to respond to this thread after the next couple of hours but thought I'd ask in hope I would get some ideas before I leave.
Heavy cig smoke in an apartment. What's your procedure for baseboard heaters?

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Ross Buettner said:
The fins are gonna be loaded with tar. I dunno... I would walk away from it.

Wish I could be more help.
I'm not doing, just trying to help with some tips.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
We used to do these in fire and smoke clean-ups. We could remove, clean them in an ultrasonic tank like you clean blinds in. Then hook them back up.

If you don't have an ultrasonic tank available, maybe clean them in a bath tub or such. Cleaning them in place will be a nightmare.

Dr Vapeur

Supportive Member
Name
Richard Gagne
I have cleaned a few with one of those steam machines. Place a towel on the floor to catch the goo. Very lite spray of degreaser to help speed up the process.
RG

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
full of nicotine ...there is no "easy" way to do them in place (and get 'em cleaned "thoroughly")

what Scott said is likely best.

We've never done any, so take this for what it's worth..
if I was doing them, I'd pull 'em , soak 'em , spray rinse 'em

The short ones will fit in a bath tub...not going to happen with the 6 and 8ft's though.
Think I'd consider pressure washing them after a dousing of Krud Kutter .
Obviously you can't use a serious PSI pressure washer...but I'm thinking an electric 1200 PSI might not fold up the fins

Whatever they do to clean them, suggest Krud Kutter for the cleaner...it emulsifies nicotine like NOTHING I've ever tried (that includes many "professional" products specifically targeted for nicotine and smoke cleaning )

BUT..BUT..BUTT...when all is said and done...count the labor hours and PITA factor .
depending on the condition and type of the units, they might be just as far ahead to replace them w/new .
standard "plain Jane" 220vt base board units aren't all that expensive ..like 50-70 bukz for a 6ft unit

..L.T.A.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom