Cleaning Stainless

Jamesh921

Name
James
I have a new custy who is reopening a restaurant that has been closed for over 3 years.

It was closed for failure to pay their taxes. Needless to say, the previous owners didn't clean up the equipment.

The new owner has tons of stuff for me to do, one of which is to clean all the stainless steel in the kitchen:
2 tables
1 oven
1 stove
1 sink
1 ice maker
and a 2' x 16' upper shelf.

After sitting for 3 years, some of the grease is pretty caked-on and stubborn.

What is the best product to clean stainless with?

I'm starting the job on monday, so what can I use that I can buy locally?

And, how do I charge for this?

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
Bar Keepers Helper.

And charge however you want too! By the hour might be safer as you don't really know how long this will take and neither do I.

Good Luck

Jamesh921

Name
James
IMG_1574.jpg

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_4559.jpg

IMG_4839.jpg

IMG_8693.jpg

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Rubber gloves
Green scrubbies
Lots of buckets of a strong mix of purple (caustic) degreaser and HOT water.
A good helper.
Scrub/dwell/scrub/flush with wet rags ringing frequently
Hit the tough stuff with oven cleaner.
Expect to get the floor wet.

Jamesh921

Name
James
The kitchen floor has a drain, so getting it wet is OK. Plus, we're going to use epoxy to repaint it so we'll be cleaning and etching after cleaning the stainless.

Lots of buckets of a strong mix of purple (caustic) degreaser and HOT water.

Which "purple (caustic) degreaser" are you referring to? Something I can buy local?

Thanks

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Home depot
Zep Industrial Purple
Purple power

You want a caustic degreaser with Sodium Hydroxide. They should list it on the label as well as having warnings about being caustic.
I think Greased Lightning also contains SH.
A lot of similar products containing SH tend to be of purple, so check any with "purple" in the name.

Don't forget the gloves.

Fred Homan

Is there a stainless cleaner (like tarn-X) ? For restrooms with rustlike spots on partitions. There must be something to dab on a rag and wipe it without scrubbing it to make it look uniform.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I would bring a small square hand sander to put those thin pads in. If it works it will save alot of time.

Steve Manier

I have used stripper diluted 1 to 3 parts water or even 50/50 for real heavy buildup...If you have a commercial steamer those work great for anything that the cleaning chemicals wont get off. Make sure you rinse any chemical you use and polishing with a stainless steel polish after cleaning really makes it look great!

amygeorge

Supportive Member
Name
Amy Lorance
There is a product sold at the automotive store that is supposed to be really good. It's commonly used in the laundry business on the stainless steal washers. I will find out and let you know. Don't let me forget... amygeorge

Name
Lee Stockwell
Not all "stainless" is equal, especially the brushed and satin finishes.

Beyond that there are compositional differences that are sometimes weak against certain acids and alkalies.

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
Lee Stockwell said:

Beyond that there are compositional differences that are sometimes weak against certain acids and alkalies.

I was thinking the same thing. The "purple" stuff scares me a little. I know that stuff will flat mess up some aluminum (like the trim on parts of my box truck) :roll: Ask me how I know. I cannot remember the details but once cleaned a commercial kitchen floor with it and had some issues with overspray and splashing from the solution on surrounding metal. Take 5 or 6 items in to test on them, then decide the plan of attack. There is nothing worse than having a plan in your head and then you get there and it does not work.

Speaking of aluminum (I seem to be hijacking some threads these days), what is the best thing to use to restore the faded out trim on my box/box truck. For me to polish all of it would take a finger cramping long time. Looking for something to burn the oxidation off, hit it with a quick polish, and I have a metal polish sealer that I want to apply.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
boazcan said:
Lee Stockwell said:

I was thinking the same thing. The "purple" stuff scares me a little. I know that stuff will flat mess up some aluminum (like the trim on parts of my box truck) :roll: Ask me how I know. I cannot remember the details but once cleaned a commercial kitchen floor with it and had some issues with overspray and splashing from the solution on surrounding metal. Take 5 or 6 items in to test on them, then decide the plan of attack. There is nothing worse than having a plan in your head and then you get there and it does not work.

Yes not all stainless is equal, and I would never use it in a residential setting without precautions, but lets keep this in perspective in regards to his pics....theres nothing to be maintained esthetically. Commercial restaurant equipment can take it, and I would think that if there's any chance at making some money on this, it would be to break out the big guns.

Dilute, rinse well, nothing to worry about, done did it before.

Jamesh921

Name
James
Well I sure appreciate all the replies.

Certainly helped.

Job starts tomorrow morning @ 9:00 a.m.

If you're interested, I'll try to post the results as I go.

Gonna Epoxy the kitchen floor, strip & wax a small hall, put in a vinyl floor entry and re-carpet the entire dining area.

This is gonna be fun. shiteatinggrin

amygeorge

Supportive Member
Name
Amy Lorance
#1 = NAPA wheel cleaner. It is an acid and when used correctly it can make the stainless steel look new.

The steel may look a little dull when done, but in a few days it will come back.

Follow the cautions on the bottle (eye protection, gloves, mask, etc.) and use a 000 wool pad and rub in the direction of the grain.

acid first, than wipe machine down with Baby Oil.

#2 = Zep Stainless Steel cleaner. It's $5 at your local Home Depot.

#3 = Bar Keepers Friend is safe to use on SS to remove stains, then follow up as mentioned with a oil based product like baby oil or wd40

I hope this helps. Amy

P.S. This information came from the coin laundry blog.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom