Cold Calls and Telemarketing

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
The Do Not Call Registry says 3.7 Million Complaints filed in 2013 and is GROWING

Have any of You Ever ask your customers if they appreciate the cold calls?

Personally, I hate it when I answer these types of calls myself.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
If they are previous clients you can call for up the 18 months after service with follow up and promotions and the do no call laws , do not apply. ( You can expand the time with a sign off on your invoice. If you prefer to contact clients this way.)

pacificsteam

Name
Jim HIggins
That was kind of an odd posting and question. Of course you don't call people on the do not call list. Personally we don't do cold calling at all. We do do call backs to exisitng customers but we have a relationship with them. What reputable business would cold call the do not call list anyway? Strange.

Jim
Pacific Steam
www.pacificsteamco.com

Reactions: GCCLee

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
That was kind of an odd posting and question. Of course you don't call people on the do not call list. Personally we don't do cold calling at all. We do do call backs to exisitng customers but we have a relationship with them. What reputable business would cold call the do not call list anyway? Strange.

Jim
Pacific Steam
www.pacificsteamco.com

So you get regular copies of the do not call list and monthly updates? Since you say you dont call them. More importantly do you only call clients with in 18 months of service?

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
New client acquisitions.
Resi and Commercial

Current custys would be excludes ya'll, duh : )

Sent from da parking garage of dee detention center

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Personally, I hate it when I answer these types of calls myself.

Yea... But what if it's your fav. carpet cleaner from two years ago and you couldn't find his name or number....

I'm going to try and set something up(maybe winter) for previous clients to be called. These old appt books are a GOLD mine, should be using them.

kingjoelking

Supportive Member
I would never cold call residential work. And there are no laws protecting businesses from cold calls.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I personally will NEVER do business with anyone that cold calls me, it's just annoying and intrusive.. If you are truly their fav. carpet cleaner a simple post card will do, and you don't waste their time when they might be doing something they like, or something they don't. OMG Do I hate having to check who called after busting a knuckle:angry: with my hands all greasy working on something, or if I'm playing with my kids... Either way you are interrupting their life, how can that be a positive thing?

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I personally will NEVER do business with anyone that cold calls me, it's just annoying and intrusive..

Keith these are previous clients. Not sure I'd call them cold calls... More like reminder calls.

Example: Had a new furnace put in a while back, all that guy has to do is call us and say it's been xx months. Your furnace needs a tune up. I book the appt. that day.

Becker

Name
Becker
I personally will NEVER do business with anyone that cold calls me, it's just annoying and intrusive.. If you are truly their fav. carpet cleaner a simple post card will do, and you don't waste their time when they might be doing something they like, or something they don't. OMG Do I hate having to check who called after busting a knuckle:angry: with my hands all greasy working on something, or if I'm playing with my kids... Either way you are interrupting their life, how can that be a positive thing?

Some how I think Keith and I would get along pretty well in real life away from the boards.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Had a door to door Insurance salesman stop by today.

Told him to put his book away am talk to me about this going door to door gig.

Older Gentleman late 60's He has been by before, has quite a bit of family around here. .

Says his return is good. Alot about what ya put into it.

Always works the Afternoon and Evening Times so....
Fuel for thought?

I bufferd a flur wit a toilet lid un timez

Able 1

Name
Keith
Keith these are previous clients. Not sure I'd call them cold calls... More like reminder calls.

Example: Had a new furnace put in a while back, all that guy has to do is call us and say it's been xx months. Your furnace needs a tune up. I book the appt. that day.

I'm just saying that calling people is intrusive.. You might have success with it, But I would never do it..

In your example, wouldn't a post card do the same? You might like it, but most people don't..

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
You might have success with it, But I would never do it..

Never tried, but I do know a few very successful people/biz who do(call previous clients) and have been told it's dumb not too.

I'm not calling! It's my wonderful wife that would have to do it. She's already said, "no way".

Able 1

Name
Keith
Never tried, but I do know a few very successful people/biz who do(call previous clients) and have been told it's dumb not too.

I'm not calling! It's my wonderful wife that would have to do it. She's already said, "no way".

There is a semi big (15 van) company that calls their previous custy's like every three months, I hear about it after they call me.. There are ways to be successful and not be annoying.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Good morning Mrs Phifleton...
this is Bob from Mr Steamclean....remember we cleaned your carpets a while back...
well our records show that you may be due for another cleaning soon...
is there a time we can set you up and get that done for ya.....
Mrs Phifleton: well Mr Bob...im a little short on money right now......
Bob: well i certainly can understand that....
how about if i mark you down to call back in a month or two...

And that's the way it's done!

My record was 38 jobs booked by ONE DAY of calling!

can't call too early....nothing before 10:00AM......
but don't be afraid to call thru dinnertime...6:00-7:00 PM..Mr AND Mrs Phiff are both home and you get way better results!

bout ten years ago i hired a gal to answer the phone while i was out cleaning...
she was phenomenal when calling my custys...she worked about eight months pregnant till she had her baby...
if yor afraid to call yor custys...sumthins wrong!

100's of...ohh Mr Bob i been meaning to call you....!

Last edited:

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Good morning Mrs Phifleton...
this is Bob from Mr Steamclean....remember we cleaned your carpets a while back...
well our records show that you may be due for another cleaning soon...
is there a time we can set you up and get that done for ya.....
Mrs Phifleton: well Mr Bob...im a little short on money right now......
Bob: well i certainly can understand that....
how about if i mark you down to call back in a month or two...

Plus, I'd imagine most calls from an unknown number(us) wont be answered. So most people will just get a message.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Its nuts not calling your customers. The cheapest, most effective marketing you can do. A least 1x year.

Reactions: jcooper

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
because of caller ID...
i had lots of people that would be reminded and call me back......

when i first got on the boards i gave out my secret to success to all you need to know about flyer distribution.....
anyone remember?

Reactions: GCCLee and jcooper

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
We don't cold call. For previous customers, when we remind them that it is time for cleaning we send them a text message instead of calling. Maybe it might be a good idea to get a cell phone list in the area and do mass texts. Then people could just delete it or hate you more? lol I won't be trying it anytime soon, but definitely I say cold calling is a no. (I've seen our competitors get reviews on Yelp, etc. from people just complaining about their cold calls to them).

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
(I've seen our competitors get reviews on Yelp, etc. from people just complaining about their cold calls to them).

Well yea, if your calling them every month!

Do you think someone would be upset over a reminder call once a year? Every client we work for knows me or has met me. I don' think it would bother anyone enough to leave a review. That's just someone being an ahole.

I actually just had a guy call and ask what type of carpet he should buy. Never worked for him and he asked for us to call him a year from now to clean his carpet.

If I was ever REALLY hurting($$$) bad, calling previous clients is the first thing I'd do.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
If they are on the do not call list it could cost you $10k !!!

Not so, Mister Dave. A "reminder" implies they are a prior customer, and "once a year" implies you have cleaned for them within the past year. This establishes a business relationship and allows you to call, unless they request that you stop, and you must honor their request.

From the FCC's website:

person or organization with which you have an established business relationship (EBR). An EBR exists if you have made an inquiry, application, purchase or transaction regarding products or services offered by the person or entity involved. Generally, you may put an end to that relationship by telling the person or entity not to place any more solicitation calls to your home. Additionally, the EBR is only in effect for 18 months after your last business transaction or three months after your last inquiry or application.

Reactions: bob vawter

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Not so, Mister Dave. A "reminder" implies they are a prior customer, and "once a year" implies you have cleaned for them within the past year. This establishes a business relationship and allows you to call, unless they request that you stop, and you must honor their request.

From the FCC's website:

person or organization with which you have an established business relationship (EBR). An EBR exists if you have made an inquiry, application, purchase or transaction regarding products or services offered by the person or entity involved. Generally, you may put an end to that relationship by telling the person or entity not to place any more solicitation calls to your home. Additionally, the EBR is only in effect for 18 months after your last business transaction or three months after your last inquiry or application.

Just remember the stipulation of having cleaned for them with in the last 18 months. Any longer than that and you dont have an existing relationship.

KleanerDude

Name
john vance
I have been calling restaurants because it is very easy to get directly to the Manager. I am running out of restaurants and would like to know if anyone has any ideas on what the best businesses might be to call that don't have the ever-present "gatekeeper" that seems to have to know everything about you before they will
let you get close to "their" Mgr or owner.

Like "Is Mr. Jones expecting your call?" "Do you have an appointment with Mr' Jones?" "Maybe you can tell me more about what you are calling about?" I mean some of these "gatekeepers" can be ok and may even help but many of them simply are playing "keep [me] away" and so I would like to do my best to avoid calling them, and when I do run across them, it would also help to know your ideas on how to circumvent/navigate my way around or through or over or under them.

The good thing about calling restaurants is/was that the waiter/waitress is working and just wants to move you along, so they can get back to serving their customers, i.e. who might be giving them a BIG tip, so they generally don't want to spend time with any phone call, no matter who it is, and just pass you to the Manager, easily.

So, anyone who has some experience in cold calling businesses, what businesses have you called where you have found that the person or receptionist picking up is most likely to pass you on to the Office Manager, General Manager or maybe even the owner, without grilling you or putting you through an inquisition Any feedback is appreciated.

I would like to add that I know there are many who believe that cold calling is unworkable. For me, though, that is not true. Some of us are quite capable of engaging people on the phone whom we have never met while, for many others, cold-calling is terrifying. I guess you could liken it to going in front of an audience onstage. Aversion to cold calling for some is like stage-fright. And, that's ok - but PLEASE, remember, there are many of us who have no problem with cold-calling, even look forward to it.

It is simply another way of socializing, in this case, business socializing and a heck of a lot cheaper than having to spend the gas prices we have now to go face to face, and besides the face to face is for my owner, I'm just setting it up on the phone for him to go and personally engage the business or homeowner. So, if you don't like cold-calling, even if you strongly believe it doesn't work, that's ok...for you. Just let those of us who can cold-call, do so - and your ideas are welcome here, as well.

It would also be nice if there were a forum in here that was strictly 100% dedicated to cold-calling because cold-calling is, indeed, very much alive and well, extremely healthy, even.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Might be your approach, for this industry I am not selling anything over the phone. Only introducing our company and hopefully setting an appointment.

The thing with general offices is the contact person might have 5 different titles.

We identify who we are, what we do and then ask who is the person that handles this for your company. Or may i speak with the person who handles this.
Nothing really spectacular to be honest.

Actually have found the receptionist is usually the one complaining about cleaning all the time and is more than happy to pass you on.

Dont call and ask to speak with the manager/owner/gm. That is a big red flag to a receptionist.

Reactions: dgardner
Name
Bruce
"Actually have found the receptionist is usually the one complaining about cleaning all the time and is more than happy to pass you on.

Dont call and ask to speak with the manager/owner/gm. That is a big red flag to a receptionist."

We've found the same thing to be true, we do work for one company that you would think the receptionist was the CEO.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom