Color sealing - tiles have pillowed edges

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
May be hard to tell by the pic but the tile pillows down. After applying color and wiping, there is still some left on some of the edges. This is because the edges go below. We're having to wipe every line.

Any tips?

tile_pillow.jpg

thanks,
Albert

Mikey P

Administrator
Is there not enough grout so that the edge of the tile is exposed and holding on to the colorseal?

If you wipe the edge hard enough to remove the seal does it come off the grout?

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Is there not enough grout so that the edge of the tile is exposed and holding on to the colorseal?

If you wipe the edge hard enough to remove the seal does it come off the grout?

Yes and yes. My helper is wiping initially with the shamy flat. It's still holding the cs on the lower part of the tile. He's wiping it up line by line to get it even with the grout. PITA and slow. I gave up on the floor, he can do that. I'm doing the counters.

Alberti

Mikey P

Administrator
Try the thick cotton towels from Costco. The clean up more aggressively and hold more seal.

Always have some Mr Clean Magic Erasers on hand when color sealing as well. They kick ass on cleaning up dry seal.

SJA

Albert,

You may also want to try to let the product dry a little longer than normal ... not till it is completely dry ... but just allow it to set a little longer. This will allow you to be more aggressive with the wipe, without removing too much from the grout. Remember the product will dry on the grout quicker than on the tile.

CapeCleaner

With these types of tiles, I wipe initially the way I do on all floors - flat shammy up and down the grout line. Then, after every half-dozen lines or so (depends on the area you are color sealing), I go back and wipe the lines again using a circular motion. By this time the color seal has dried enough on the grout lines but will still come off the tiles pretty easily. After running into this the first time, I began to price these types of floors slightly higher to account for the added time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom