Commercial Contract Work, Be Careful What Ya Wish For...

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Over last 10 months I've really done a great job signing up programs. Good timing too, this winter was the 1# coldest AND 2# most snow in recorded history. In Buffalo, thats really bad...

Sooo, in past i always tried to mix up some residential work with mainly commercial for cashflow reasons. Although its not a lot of money, residential does provide instant ca$h and pays the crummy bills.

This year tho with crappy weather and signing up a lot of contract work (invoices) we are in cashflow jail. Bookings are great, cash not soooo much.

Just something to think about, our job $$ average is highest its ever been but cash is at the lowest.
Those smaller jobs provide quick cash.

After July 4th the goal will be to focus more on residential/small commercial little more and add some balance.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
Residential is our cash cow.

Hit the tipping point (even more than we thought possible) the past two weeks.

Invoicing average of $2 k per day. 3 jobs per day. Handful of days 4 jobs. But, one day last week was over $4k on just one job. One truck running 1 or 2 man crew. It's mind blowing. I'm pinching myself.

Best part is, they ALL pay at the time of service. Money is in the bank on Friday.

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
Commercial accounts are a killer for us to. Most locally managed commercial accounts we get payment immediately after the cleaning. Check or Credit Card please. For the larger commercials where management is based out of New York, etc. we have to give a 30 day grace period for payment. It always seems like we don't receive payment until the 29th day to. When you have 5 or 6 guys at a larger commercial cleaning and still have to pay them at the end of the week, it hurts waiting for that big check to arrive in the mail.

Residential is the best for quick cash and is still much larger than our commercial work. Only thing that sucks is processing a customer credit card on a Wednesday after 3pm to not get paid by Intuit until Monday morning... or bounced checks. Being new and putting money back into the business as much, the business lives paycheck to paycheck at times. :)

Reactions: windycitysteam

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Not sure why you would say that.

Someone trying to make the transition from owner operator to employees and a couple trucks might not realize it.
Cleaner entering restoration/commercial work for the first time might not know how backed up you can get.

In either case you need to build up some good cash reserves.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yea I'm constipated...well my accounts receivables are. In fact so is our billing.

I have 3-mold jobs from the last two weeks, a month of fire contents cleaning and 25-water bills that need to get though the system and have not yet been entered. Close to 100k :dejection:

I can't even complain to them, when we haven't even billed them yet. :errf:

Insert Toburen's Pogo statement, "We have met the enemy and he is us". :redface:

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Been pretty sick over last couple weeks, havent been able to have any beer lately :angry:

I was serious, EVERY topic has been covered 8 million times.
After 30 years im sure you know what is the best pre-spray.... although sometimes i wonder.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Yea I'm constipated...well my accounts receivables are. In fact so is our billing.

I have 3-mold jobs from the last two weeks, a month of fire contents cleaning and 25-water bills that need to get though the system and have not yet been entered. Close to 100k :dejection:

I can't even complain to them, when we haven't even billed them yet. :errf:

Insert Toburen's Pogo statement, "We have met the enemy and he is us". :redface:

Welp, guess there is always the bright side.

At least its not THAT much :razz:

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
Nothing like college turnover season to cure the cashflow blues... :headbang:

How are you targeting them? Do you do flyers around the college area or is it just calls from them finding you online or previous work there? I have thought about targeting our University area and am curious about how you get that business?

Name
Ross Martin
When I was in the printing industry, my boss was complaining to me how he was owed a million dollars in receivables.

Tough problem.

Anybody else have a $666.00 average ticket?

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
Over the last several years we cut way back on restoration and restaurant work. The residential market is our best money, and we get paid on completion. It takes all the stress out.
And by the way, there is money to be made in carpet cleaning;)

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
How are you targeting them? Do you do flyers around the college area or is it just calls from them finding you online or previous work there? I have thought about targeting our University area and am curious about how you get that business?

In my case its student housing provided by the school. So it goes through the facility department

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Never targeted them specifically, we market to larger employers. Dont look at industry, gives a nice mix that way.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
I found that kinda tough for commercial carpet. Businesses generally search for carpet cleaners and not "commercial" carpet cleaners.

Reactions: hogjowl

Dave Rampage

Shane,

After 30 days cash flow shouldn't be a problem. You will have checks rolling in every month. Are these commercial accounts not paying you?

Reactions: Able 1

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom