Commercial Hallways- Carpet tiles

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I cleaned some hallways, presprayed, Whittakered, rinsed.
They were saying that the cleaning must have brought up some stuff under the carpet; I figure its resoiled or wicked. And no, I did not prevacuum these carpets. 3 floors, 1800sf each.
Also, buckling occurred on each floor but only one floor didn't settle. I told the client that because it didn't settle its more likely an installation issue.
The carpet buckled from just the prespray, would CIMEX cleaning cause it to buckle?
Is there a way to "Cimex" stairs?
Comments/Suggestions?

Another building they installed carpet tiles.
Issues I see are not wanting to get water underneath or pulling corners of the tiles up from a pad.
Comments/Suggestions?

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
You can see the type of carpet here, nothing to suggest any issues, looked pretty clean of particulates
11-04-15CleaningtheOvation1.jpg

guages during cleaning
11-04-06CleaningtheOvation-guages.jpg

11-04-06CleaningtheOvation-guages1.jpg

The first picture with the buckling was taken the day of cleaning
the next picture was taken just over 24hrs later. The buckling had gone so I need to check back and take a look at the hallways. This carpet should not have resoiled or wicked.
11-04-15CleaningtheOvation-bubbling.jpg

11-04-15CleaningtheOvation-bubbling1.jpg

The other building I am quoting has a similar style carpet, just tiles.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Ron That's strange????
I've never seen that with carpet tiles, HWE or low moisture with Orbot or encap with Cimex.
What does the back look like? Most commercial buildings we do are tiles and that just doesn't happen.

We just did 15,000 sq/ft of carpet tiles last weekend, no issues 3/4 of that was HWE.

I would guess it has to be an install problem, not properly glued?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
It just encap/ pad most commercial anymore.

You can encap/pad steps easily with a 12" Oreck and a pad with their driver.

12" Orecks are also great for prescrubbing steps berore HWE.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
the buckling happened on installed wall to wall, not tiles.
I thought the buckling had disappeared, ie from the 2nd picture I took the day after, but the lady I talked to yesterday said its still almost a tripping hazard. I've very rarely seen a carpet that stayed buckled.
I'll take a look and get back with some updated pics.
She said the stairs are muddy so thats due to fresh re-soiling, so I'd have to make sure their prop maint guy got things well vacuumed ahead of encapping.

WRT tiles (which are in another building), do the pads ever catch on a tile corner and either tear or lift the tile? would a CRB work better?

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
That's "wheelie reared". All tiles I have cleaned had a solid rubber backing that wasn't moving for any amount of moisture, and that's with HWE. Most tiles, I think, are installed with a pressure sensitive adhesive, so that they can be removed and replaced if needed.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Ron an airmover and a small dehumidifer will probably bring her back down tight. Hallways don't get good airmovement causing you slower drying.

If they will let you prop open a door then maybe just an airmover would do.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Ron Werner said:
the buckling happened on installed wall to wall, not tiles.
I thought the buckling had disappeared, ie from the 2nd picture I took the day after, but the lady I talked to yesterday said its still almost a tripping hazard. I've very rarely seen a carpet that stayed buckled.
I'll take a look and get back with some updated pics.
She said the stairs are muddy so thats due to fresh re-soiling, so I'd have to make sure their prop maint guy got things well vacuumed ahead of encapping.

WRT tiles (which are in another building), do the pads ever catch on a tile corner and either tear or lift the tile? would a CRB work better?

Oh....I can understand the wall to wall buckling. It's still damp, and good airflow will tighten it back up. Remember when custys were worried about "shrinking" their carpets with HWE?

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
does it need to be stretched maybe???

yeah there should be no problem with the tiles....

and I agree with the above about the air movement...

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
I have also cleaned tiles..and never had a problem. And muddy stairs and shit too? This lady doesnt sound too happy..I hate when shit like this happens to me. Please keep posting pics

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
That’s what you get for not Vacuuming first :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Buckling on CGD can happen to anyone. I would have gotten some air movers and a dehu out there fast. No matter what you say, the customer will assume you’re a hack till its back to normal.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
th_MOV_0975.jpg

th_MOV_0976.jpg

If you watch closely while my client is pushing on the carpet with her toe, you can see the bubble in the carpet. The bubbling she told me about had nothing to do with steam cleaning. She said that it was mid July-Aug when the carpet bubbled and was almost creating a tripping hazard and I cleaned it in April. She said the carpet flattened down after I cleaned it but then it bubbled but only in one section of the hallway and on one floor. It would have to be the humidity, wouldn't it?
Anyone run across this?

She had mentioned resoiling but from what I could see it was from use.
I recommended encap, figure on using the Cimex. low moisture and less price. Stairs will take the most time.

I have a customer that just had Lees Carpet replaced by warranty to the tune of 180,000 square feet due to shrinking of the tiles. i wonder if this carpet is made by Lees too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom