Competitor website

Trekguy1701

Name
Andrew Armstrong
I have a competitor in my city that posts (on the front page of his website) WRONG or flat out dishonest pricing information regarding my carpet cleaning business. He actually lists my company by name and then has a price that he's says I charge. And it's not correct at all!

What would you do?

Thanks!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I have a competitor in my city that posts (on the front page of his website) WRONG or flat out dishonest pricing information regarding my carpet cleaning business. He actually lists my company by name and then has a price that he's says I charge. And it's not correct at all!

What would you do?

Thanks!
I'd call him and see if you can meet. Then its head or gut but he's getting one of them.

Mike Tyson ... Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth :icon_twisted:

Reactions: Trekguy1701

FredC

Village Idiot
charge.jpg

^what David said. There are rules for that type of advertising but I'm not sure he broke them:

Here is an example of a home pulled right out of our system for the Wichita, KS area. It includes a Living Room, Dining Room, Hall, and 2 Bedrooms. We consider this a pretty typical home cleaning scenario. The prices listed for the other companies are pulled directly from their respective websites or by calling them on the phone with exact measurements. These were their current prices listed as of January 2015.

May also want to file a complaint with the website host.

Last edited:

Trekguy1701

Name
Andrew Armstrong
I'd call him and see if you can meet. Then its head or gut but he's getting one of them.

Mike Tyson ... Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth :icon_twisted:
View attachment 7343

^what David said. There are rules for that type of advertising but I'm not sure he broke them:

May also want to file a complaint with the website host.

Fred. You have found the website in question! :)

Folks, I have looked at this every way I can. There is NO scenario that I can come up with that would even suggest 4 rooms and a hall would cost a client $250. It would be $200. All of my pricing is on my website. The ONLY explanation I can come up with is that he doesn't understand that I don't charge for hallways.

I have already met with my attorney regarding this matter. And will be taking action.

I have NO PROBLEM with good honest competition. But if you are going to say something publicly about me, then be CORRECT and HONEST about it. Just saying....

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Trekguy1701

Name
Andrew Armstrong
Oh, and what I mean by "action" I mean my lawyer is sending them a certified letter, pointing out the mistake we think they have made. It will a "Cease and Desist". If they don't remove it, then....

But, if they want to promote the fact that my company is less expensive then theirs... that would be OK too. :)

I'm not TRYING to make enemies.

I REALLY appreciate all the feedback.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Mike Draper

had a guy in my town take my exact copy in some paragraphs and do a website with all the same colors and mostly same copy throughout. it looked as though I was the same company. Sent him a nasty letter and it was gone in 24 hours. He is out of business now.:icon_twisted:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We have a local that does negative marketing with radio ads bashing "the big restoration companies" about how it can cost you hundreds of dollars if you call them to clean your carpet.There is only us & Servicemaster that are "big" and Servicemaster is 2-rooms for $69.00 often running $25.00 a room specials.

They are bashing us and yes we can easily be a few hundred. I fail to see the problem with it. We should be more, we deliver far more so it is due us.

Don't you think they would charge more for their service "if" they could. They can't the price
an't the price matches the level of service being delivered.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I can tolerate method bashing, chest thumping, and the standard "We are the best" hype, as I consider most advertising to be somewhat fair game, but I consider using the specific business name of a direct competitor crossing the line, and warranting immediate review and action by an Attorney.

From what I'm reading, the main legal consideration would lie in whether the information is considered to be true, accurate and up-to-date, or misleading due to it being false, out-of-date, inaccurate, vague, deceptive, or confusing, and that the comparison is accompanied by sufficient detail and relevant facts to support that the comparisons are similar enough to be truly comparable with each other.

A decision not to comply with a cease and desist notice would likely lead to him to having to prove his case in court as to why he believes the information is "true", which I find hard to believe that he will be able to pull off, and may also expose him to possible damages.

I would consider such actions nothing short of a PERSONAL attack on your livelihood.

The fact that he consciously chose to list competitors exact names as opposed to "Competitor A, B..." tells me he's a real d*ck.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
"Here is an example of a home pulled right out of our system for the Wichita, KS area. It includes a Living Room, Dining Room, Hall, and 2 Bedrooms. We consider this a pretty typical home cleaning scenario. The prices listed for the other companies are pulled directly from their respective websites or by calling them on the phone with exact measurements. These were their current prices listed as of January 2015."

The inclusion of this statement tells me he is somewhat aware of the legal parameters involved as he is attempting to cover his ass.

I would force him to decide if it's worth the risk of defending a legal action or not.

Maybe including the other parties involved would be a benefit.

Trekguy1701

Name
Andrew Armstrong
"Here is an example of a home pulled right out of our system for the Wichita, KS area. It includes a Living Room, Dining Room, Hall, and 2 Bedrooms. We consider this a pretty typical home cleaning scenario. The prices listed for the other companies are pulled directly from their respective websites or by calling them on the phone with exact measurements. These were their current prices listed as of January 2015."

The inclusion of this statement tells me he is somewhat aware of the legal parameters involved as he is attempting to cover his ass.

I would force him to decide if it's worth the risk of defending a legal action or not.

Maybe including the other parties involved would be a benefit.

Well, the "others" are represented correctly. And I agree with you, that this is a personal attack on my business. And I appreciate all the continued feedback! I want to be ethical and honest.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom