??? Concerning Dye Stain on White Leather Sofa

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
I have a client with creamy white leather sofa and his buddy fell asleap on it and the dyes from his black leather belt left a black strip on the couch. I worked my leather cleaner into it for a while to soften it up then gently used a magic eracer to rub it out and got a little bit of it out and that is it. Has anyone got a suggestion on what would get this out.

THANKS

harryhides

Name
Tony
I suppose a picture would be too much to ask....

"Creamy white" is not very useful info, was it Protected, Aniline or Nubuck ?
Was the leather belt new ? wet ? or had beer or liquor spilled on it ?

Sounds to me like you went about this all backwards and may have now "set" the stain.
Your only recourse may be to strip out the black and to re-color.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
I suppose a picture would be too much to ask....

"Creamy white" is not very useful info, was it Protected, Aniline or Nubuck ?
Was the leather belt new ? wet ? or had beer or liquor spilled on it ?

Sounds to me like you went about this all backwards and may have now "set" the stain.
Your only recourse may be to strip out the black and to re-color.

Creamy white is the color.Dont know what kind of leather it is but know it is not high quality. The belt was old and had a suade finish on the back side and it was likly damp from sweat seeing is the guy passed out drunk on the sofa.The guy told me it was probally caused from sweat.The cleaner i used is of the highest quality and i am sure it would not set a stain that is why i stopped after trying a simple hand cleaning to see if i could get it to move.

Able 1

Name
Keith
The cleaner i used is of the highest quality and i am sure it would not set a stain that is why i stopped after trying a simple hand cleaning to see if i could get it to move.

I don't clean leather, but no matter how "high quality" the product... You can still set a stain that was meant to be removed with different chemistry.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
For sheer knowledge, I second either Roger or Tony. Both are experts. You really need to get some pics and post them.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Marty, the kind of leather is the single most important thing to establish before using ANY product on leather.
For example, a high quality product designed for cleaning an Aniline leather is NOT "high quality" or suitable for use on Protected leather let alone for vegetable tanned leather as opposed to Chrome tanned leather.
In this situation you may well be dealing with dye from a veg tanned belt transferred onto a chrome tanned, protected leather couch.
That is like using a "high quality" vinyl cleaning product as a cleaning agent for washing your woolen pajamas.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Marty, the kind of leather is the single most important thing to establish before using ANY product on leather.
For example, a high quality product designed for cleaning an Aniline leather is NOT "high quality" or suitable for use on Protected leather let alone for vegetable tanned leather as opposed to Chrome tanned leather.
In this situation you may well be dealing with dye from a veg tanned belt transferred onto a chrome tanned, protected leather couch.
That is like using a "high quality" vinyl cleaning product as a cleaning agent for washing your woolen pajamas.

Woolen pajamas really make my balls itchy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom