Contracts.. The Rest of the story...

Name
Ron lippold
So tell me whats the worst you have been screwed by not having a written contract to do work???? I live in NM and we live and die by a hand shake. So tell me . I know I wont work without a written contract........ :evil:

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Re: Contracts

I have not been paid at all and had not proof the work was ever done. I get a work order signed on every job that gets billed from here out. I get signed contracts on all my janitorial accounts so they are easy to sell if I get sick of them.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison

Unfortunately contacts are just a piece of paper to make you feel safe and MAYBE make the other feel obligated.

Money is in the pocket of the beholder.

Gives a whole new meaning to "it takes money to make (take) money".

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox

I have never felt a need to have a contract. Generally people don't want anyone messing with their credit, so if you threaten to or actually put someone in collection, those types will usually pay. The others don't GAS and probably won't pay anyway. I've never been stuck on any large jobs in 30 years.

Jimbo

Ron Lippold said:
So tell me whats the worst you have been screwed by not having a written contract to do work???? I live in NM and we live and die by a hand shake. So tell me . I know I wont work without a written contract........ :evil:

ok, spill the beans, Ron

Name
Ron lippold

So this is what happened. I recieved a call from a board member about helping out on a big job several hunderd thousand sq ft. We agree on a price of .13 a sq ft for cleaning. They were going to pick up the hotel and chemicals.

So we drive 1300 miles one way to go help on this project, i brought out my lead tech and a third helper. We get cleaning, yes a big job. We are dual wanding with high flow and the other crew is single wanding.

As we jump ahead to the last day and as we are wrapping up i start to look for my check. Im told that we dont have all the numbers ( I know i should have kept track my self but was told several times that he would keep all the numbers.)

I say well being that we did 60-80 % of the job give me 2/3 of the sq ft. They said no and we will give you 45,000 and get the numbers to you....

Well yes i did get paid the 45 but they never produced the numbers. After several weeks of emails The other two guys involved are accusing me of trying to steel from them and several other choice words....

IM not the one who changed the deal............... Im pissed............ :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

What would you guys do......

Mike Draper

I would have been in my attorneys office yesterday. A demanding letter that is sent asap can send a message that you are not willing to screw around.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Damn why do people feel the need to screw other people???

While yes I think 2/3 sounds fair as you were running 2v1...

I can think on the other side that 2/3 of a check is a hard thing to swallow...lol more so once i said i would cover hotel and chems....

i would have said up front...50-50 you cover your costs, here is the total sqft...what say you??

i just did a house for a guy that he does bank owned homes.....he couldnt get to it, so he asked me to...we are about the same price wise....

I went and did it, told him how many rooms, and pay me what ever....

he asked for a bill, I said "ok how much so you can make a few bucks" he said just your regular rate...

I hope he makes a few bucks from it...but i am kinda slow...so i was glad to have it and help someone out...

but thats me

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
it is a shame a bb legendary job winds up like this after the compliments you received on the job done no less. good luck ron. Hope what you got was still a nice take remember not everyone gets rich

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Ron are you saying you only were paid for cleaning 346,154 feet of the job. In your post weeks ago you said you cleaned about 600,000 sqft and he did the rest.

Name
Ron lippold
Mike sorry about the confusion the total sq ft on the job was supsoe to be 598000 sq ft and yes we cleaned well over 2/3 of the job so yes im a little pissed. I dont think im wrong either. We had a deal and they broke the deal on the last day.

Chris A

Name
Chris
I guess Id like to say I would get a contract on a job that size, but I've never been in that exact situation ( partnering up with another cleaner.) Hope things work out for ya Ron...

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
This job would be the job from hell and I would feel just the same. I would have a hard time promising a certain amount if the other party didn't live up to their end. All I know is I would never work like that.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Not the first time this has happened on the Boards.

A few board regulars teamed up to travel to Bemidji MN to tackle a big University project. The one who controlled the check did the same thing after noticing the other two were busting their humps while he walked around with a clipboard.

The culprit then vanished from the boards. The thread "With a heavy heart" may still be on ICS. It pretty much financially sank one young man who worked his butt off on the project.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

Ron Lippold said:
What would you guys do......

I'd of kept track of the amount of carpet I cleaned
"estimating" that you did "60 to 80%" of the job don't cut it, Junior
you drove 2600 miles for THIRTEEN CENTS a ft and didn't count your beans

:roll:

what good would a contract do in that situation anyway???
cause you "really" don't know HOW much you cleaned

I'll wait to hear the other side of the story before i make any judgments

Judge Wapner

..L.T.A.

Name
Lee Stockwell
So many times I've heard (even from Larry) "You only make money when the wand is moving"..... if only that was so.

However much the wand moves you only make money when you are negotiating and getting your pay.

Steve Manier

Hi Ron,

Normaly I wouldn't chime in on a post like this but here are my thoughts...I went back and read the original "WOW" big job post and you said it took you a total of 16 days to clean and in this post you said you got 45k...Thats almost 3k a day gross...They paid for hotel and chems and you had the long drive both ways and gas, food, and your help..I would think after everything was paid that you still netted close to 2k a day??? Thats pretty good money...He landed the contract and helped so that should at least be good for 50\50 no??? Plus you said you weren't sure if you did 60% or 80% of the job. That is a pretty big difference when you're talking that much sq ft. I personally wouldn't have agreed to give you 2/3 but if that was the agreement then he should stand by it.

With all do respect,

Steve

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Doug Cox said:
This job would be the job from hell and I would feel just the same. I would have a hard time promising a certain amount if the other party didn't live up to their end. All I know is I would never work like that.

very confusing here???

i am thinking Ron more then lived up to his end, if he did in fact do close to 2/3 the job...

As i stated...50/50 would be fair....

and who knows, maybe he made more then .13...then he should be paying a full .13 for 2/3 the sqft, if your making a few pennies off that as well

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I wasn't talking about Ron. I was talking generally about making promises and then have someone not live up to their end of the agreement. You can get screwed on either end. If I made a deal, I would live by it.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
floorguy said:
and who knows, maybe he made more then .13..l

doesn't matter what the other guy was getting.
Ron agreed to 13 .
worst part is, he doesn't KNOW how much he cleaned :shock:
he's estimating how much he cleaned

I'd still like to hear the other side of the story .
Maybe the other guy's estimate doesn't jibe with Ron's

then what??

..L.T.A.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Lesson learned. Contracts don't mean crap these days. If you have emails corresponding back and forth I do believe those can be used in a suit if necessary if there was any type of agreement made in the correspondence. Really it depends how much money you're willing to spend to retain the other monies allegedly due to you.

Next time ask for floor layouts from someone in charge, or sketch your own and keep track. Even if it takes you an extra hour a day to sketch out a floor plan on graph paper, it saves hours of head ache and money lost.

I ran into this a lot bidding out large commercial. We would get bid opportunities and they'd estimate the square footage of the carpet to be cleaned. Most of the time the amount of the square footage they provided was way less than what was actually there. They would want us to respond via email for a price, and I'd never give a price unless I could walk-thru and measure, even if it took hours to do it.

Good luck Ron.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Stuff like this is sad and not because of the money. OK, the money may hurt too. But even worse is the emotional side- loss of faith and trust, etc. So in the spirit of avoiding problems like this again for someone else or even Ron ...

Ron, you probably didn't need a legal "contract" drafted by an attorney. What you did need to do was:

1. Have a clear agreement in writing (email works) with all the "i's dotted" and the "t's crossed" as in the "what if's clearly defined".

2. You should have measured up what you cleaned every day and had them sign off on it that yes, that is what you accomplished. (It would have been good if they did the same for you.)

3. Part of the agreement should have been when you got paid and yes, you should have been on the phone the exact day it was due.

Probably #1 and #2 was where you fell down the worst. It all comes down to one of my favorite sayings, "Clearly defined expectations are the basis of all successful relationships." (This applies in life as well as business.)

Oh, and one thing else. Ron. Try to move on. Don't let it eat at you.

Sincerely,
Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS BTW, I did all three points above a few years back when I flew to Australia to give a seminar and the bum still stiffed me to the tune of about 15K. Including I fronted a 2,000.00 air ticket. So I know firsthand about having to "move on"! :)

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I think the problem here is Ron is a hard working, honest guy who expects others to be like him.

Because HE would do the right thing if the hand was on the other foot.....he expects the same.

Probably felt like a hand shake should have sealed the deal....and it should have.

Didn't need specifics because "what's fair is fair"

Problem is, you can't measure "fair" and you can't expect others to have in their mind what you have in yours.

"Nice guys finish last"? This is probably one of those things.

I think 1 penny spent to try to get the rest of pennies is a bad idea.....NOT because of the pennies....but because of the Stress....and I use the word "stress" very lightly.

Ron, I believe what's right is right and anyone who goes against that CANnot prosper.

Quick money (I'm talking about them) is seldom a solution to anything.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Brian R said:
Because HE would do the right thing if the hand was on the other foot.....he expects the same...

Probably felt like a hand shake should have sealed the deal....and it should have.

Didn't need specifics because "what's fair is fair"

Problem is, you can't measure "fair" and you can't expect others to have in their mind what you have in yours.

"Nice guys finish last"? This is probably one of those things.

I think 1 penny spent to try to get the rest of pennies is a bad idea.....NOT because of the pennies....but because of the Stress....and I use the word "stress" very lightly.

Ron, I believe what's right is right and anyone who goes against that CANnot prosper.

Quick money (I'm talking about them) is seldom a solution to anything.
Brian,
I think you just set a record for the most mixed metaphors in one post.

Sincerely,
Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS Sioux and I are driving up for a weekend in Aspen, CO today. You kids play nice without me.

Bob Foster

Talking about a beef like that here will make this worse not better (as some people recently experienced). Both are good names here and I would hate to see either one get smeared.

Go talk it out in private.

When you do get it ironed out come back like gentlemen with the issue amicably resolved.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom