Couch with mold... Do you clean?

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Microfiber. Was in storage but molded up...

Would you clean it?

I know my thoughts, but what would you do?

20151019_161651.jpg
20151019_161611.jpg
20151019_161616.jpg
20151019_161618.jpg
20151019_161621.jpg
20151019_161631.jpg

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We would not, at least not without the owners fulling understanding what we can & cannot do. We are not the mold police and if you really want it cleaned and you have no other option we might clean it.

In general settled spores we HEPA vac and the HWE. However this is growth that has a root system in the fabric. It should be replaced, who knows whats in the foam and batting. ???
Cleaning will only improve the surface fabric, even then there could be color damage where mold may have digested the fabric.

I'd pass with the explanation that their money is better spent tiwards replacement.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
They probably already spent more on storage than what its worth. If they insisted then I would take it out side and clean it like patio furniture. Add some bleach and blast away. Just give them fair warning.

Gene

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Here was my answer the moment I saw it....

2015-10-19 18.50.13.jpg

But then they asked about putting it in their hunting shack....

I asked...."how bad do they hate the shack?"

You are just putting a mold infested piece that you sit close and personal on (or at the hunting shack even pass out on) to possibly create a major problem for that place.... :dejection: :hopeless:

Throw the damn thing away....or you will be calling a mold remediation place too....or having a burning party of the hunting shack.... :eekk: :dejection:

They are tossing it on my recommendation... :errf:

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
We would tell them the hazards and default to the industry "regulations/guidelines" and recommend throwing it out.

However, if they want to assume responsibility, we would document the hell out of it an make them sign off that they wanted us to clean anyway. Document that we do not guarantee anything and are proceeding at customer request.

We've had it happen. I even go so far as telling them if it were me and my house I wouldn't clean and keep it.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
people don't always make the best choices. We've had them pull moldy uphostery out a dumpster. Even worse upholstry & mattresses wrapped in 6-mil poly spray painted bed bugs. We told the as they loaded it up in their van. It didn't seem to phase them:eekk:

pinosan

Name
Martin
once it's dry mold is dead no moisture to keep it alive. the staining is not hard to remove but costly. For that quality of furniture the recommendation was accurate.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
its not dead, dormient. Given the right situations it can and will grow rapidly since it already has a foot hold of growth in the fabric.

Also dead spores are not safe spores. They can still be allergenic or toxigenic to the right person.

Think of it like the sun, you & I can spend all day in the sun with no harmful effects. A tan at worst, yet another person with fairer skin can be exposed to same sun for an hour and get burned.

Its just too risky a proposition for a few hundred dollars.

pinosan

Name
Martin
its not dead, dormient. Given the right situations it can and will grow rapidly since it already has a foot hold of growth in the fabric.

Also dead spores are not safe spores. They can still be allergenic or toxigenic to the right person.

Think of it like the sun, you & I can spend all day in the sun with no harmful effects. A tan at worst, yet another person with fairer skin can be exposed to same sun for an hour and get burned.

Its just too risky a proposition for a few hundred dollars.
you are right and of course it is risky the furniture holds no significant value to take the risk. However, we have treated some patio furniture with that type of staining never had a problem. But I share the opinion. We don't even have a clue the type of mold that this furniture had. Good call on disposing.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The patio furniture is likely a different type of fabric.

The real issue is you cannot see mold. Mold spores are smaller than the eye can see. So while you can clean the visible remains of mold digestion, you won't be able to see or remove spores that you can't see.

The best solution is go to Goodwill or some second hand store buy a decent divan for $75.00-$100.00 and then have you clean it.
They will save over trying to salvage this moldy one and be much happier with the results. :winky:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
We live in a very different world today, both from our understanding of biological activity and what exposure to both "live" and "dead" mold can mean to us, as well as the nature of people and their willingness to sue those that they feel have caused them to come to harm by your actions or inactions.

The bottom line should be, though, would you let a family member sleep on that sofa after you cleaned it?

The "Golden Rule" makes such decisions really pretty easy.

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
In being a hungry single dad I have cleaned these pieces. It seems if I don't they will. That scares me more. I treat the whole piece like urine decon. HOT water with tons of oxidisers in it. Then good dwell and hot acidic extract, then treatment with a biocide.

Its obviously not a good thing. but after a good treatment and dry i would sit on it myself and if I wouldn't then I wouldn't do the clean.

If you don't need the job don't take it, but I did need the job.

Also done a couch similar to the above - FULL - of mouse shit.

took plenty of work but it wasn't full of mouse shit once it was done. I just need to take what I get offered some days.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Not to be a dick but thats far more dangerous work Grant.

Hantivirus can be in rodent droppings & urine. You are taking on an extreme health risk for yourself as well as that of your clients.

I'd do some research on "Hantivirus" and reconsider cleaning those types of things. I understand needing the money but your life had to be worth more than a few bucks.

Reactions: Todd Millar

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
Not to be a dick but thats far more dangerous work Grant.

Hantivirus can be in rodent droppings & urine. You are taking on an extreme health risk for yourself as well as that of your clients.

I'd do some research on "Hantivirus" and reconsider cleaning those types of things. I understand needing the money but your life had to be worth more than a few bucks.
Mate I hear you.

But they were expecting a baby and were going to DIY with a RugDoctor. I agreed to do it. This is what I'm saying.....

I made a dollar and probably saved them making a arse of the situation. I was just trying to say that even at the lowest end, there is work to be done and somebody who needs a dollar and finds these jobs, will probably do them.

With gloves and a make a hope.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

pinosan

Name
Martin
The patio furniture is likely a different type of fabric.

The real issue is you cannot see mold. Mold spores are smaller than the eye can see. So while you can clean the visible remains of mold digestion, you won't be able to see or remove spores that you can't see.

The best solution is go to Goodwill or some second hand store buy a decent divan for $75.00-$100.00 and then have you clean it.
They will save over trying to salvage this moldy one and be much happier with the results. :winky:
True Story.
We could not save a sofa that had urine and vomit I suggested to get rid of it and buy a good used one. They went to this second hand store and bought a set. One week later, they found a few bedbugs in the home. :biggrin:

Willy P

Name
Willy P
While we are talking about droppings, bird droppings & bat guano should be taken extremely serious too!

You can develop histopasmosis from breathing in particles or touching hands to mouth. Its a killer and can cause reactions within minutes.

Where the hell is this crap coming from Chavez? I think you hired a ghost writer because these posts sound different than your normal diatribe- almost intelligent. So it can't be you.

Reactions: Jimmy L
Name
Nate W.
While we are talking about droppings, bird droppings & bat guano should be taken extremely serious too!

You can develop histopasmosis from breathing in particles or touching hands to mouth. Its a killer and can cause reactions within minutes.

And this whole time I felt lucky when a bird would shit on my shoulder......F**k me.......:hopeless:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Where the hell is this crap coming from Chavez? I think you hired a ghost writer because these posts sound different than your normal diatribe- almost intelligent. So it can't be you.
LOL

Fook you William! Does that sound better? :biggrin:

Deep...way way deep down in the depths of this pea brain of mine I know some shit.

Ok ok so maybe I only know about shit, close enough! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Willy P

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Chavez is an idiot savant of our industry.

And he watches Judge Wopner too everyday at 3 pm.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom