Credit Card/ Advantages

JDeShon

I've been in business for 6 years. I've never accepted credit cards. My question is, if I start accepting cards, will my average $ per job drasticly increase? Will my amount of jobs per month increase much? Is it worth it?
Right now we do 45 residential jobs per month. Average $200 per job.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
JDeShon said:
I've been in business for 6 years. I've never accepted credit cards. My question is, if I start accepting cards, will my average $ per job drasticly increase? Will my amount of jobs per month increase much? Is it worth it?
Right now we do 45 residential jobs per month. Average $200 per job.

It can...but it's all about how you market it.
First you will need to put the credit card logos on all your marketing material

Discuss payment options over the phone... "we except all major credit cards, personal checks or cash....it's up to you"

If there is ever a "price" issue..."You know we except all major credit cards as well."

Another price issue and you can do a couple of payments on the card...one this month one the next.....be careful with that one.

I think when people see the cc logo in your ads...it puts them at ease, it makes you look like a real business as well....image is everything.

I don't like to push the marketing too much in the home like "You can buy everything and put it on the card"....little too harsh for my taste.

But you can surely let them know that you take the card if they ever say "well, I'm not sure I can afford that right now"

You can also split payments up...partial check...partial credit card.

Really, when you accept credit cards you are making it more convenient for both your customer AND your business.

Try to find a company that has a low or no monthly payment ....don't get the swiper machines...use the internet virtual terminal...or possibly your phone.

Don't sign contracts....no need.

You might pay a slightly higher %....but you can make that up by adding 1% to you prices....really it's nothing.

Hope this helps.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I know there have been several big jobs where it has helped accepting CC's. FOr many people they collect air miles, so it becomes a convenience for them.
For me its been to my advantage accepting them.

The first year however I think I processed maybe 6 cc payments. Then there was a month when almost all the jobs payments were cc's. Its leveled out now. AMEX costs me about $25 on the $1000, MC and VISA are just over half of that.

I used a wireless unit for a while, struggled with having a signal, battery dying during the processing, not to mention $50/mth rental fee. Got a normal store based unit that I would plug into phone line and power, which works as long as there is a phone line and power O_o Now I just leave it at home, write the # down and process it when I get home.

Becker

Name
Becker
Taking CCs is so easy these days why would a company not do it?

Square
go payments
others..

No monthly fees, % on sales.. Big deal.

We are moving to a plastic only world.
Infact for my personal account I've not had paper checks for years.
Online, debit..
Screw checks.

I'd love to be 100% plastic.. not trips to bank, funds approved before I leave the home.
Payment over the phone on billed jobs.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Becker said:

Square
go payments
others..

We are moving to a plastic only world.
Infact for my personal account I've not had paper checks for years.
Online, debit..
Screw checks.

I'd love to be 100% plastic.. not trips to bank, funds approved before I leave the home.
Payment over the phone on billed jobs.

Amen....if they could just make it instantly into your checking account it would be all powerful.

Not sure what the hell the deal is with that.....a piece of paper takes the next day....but the wired transactions take 3 to 5? I know it's less if your processor is your bank...but those usually suck.

Becker

Name
Becker
Ya think the processor is not making interest off millions tired up?

The way i see it, I get deposits nearly daily from sq.. So whats 3 days.
In all honesty I don't deposit paper checks but once or twice a week.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Becker said:

Square
go payments
others..

Customers are used to CC's. They will buy more plus it let's you call them at work and ask, "The carpets cleaned up beautifully. Did you want me to 'reapply' the carpet protector?" A surprising percentage will say yes and then ask if they can put it on their credit card!

Steve Toburen
http://www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS We recently published a pretty good analysis of five different mobile credit card processing options:

http://sfs.jondon.com/8029/blog/mobile- ... et-cleaner

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom