CTI's soap free product - health rating of 2

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
What's up with that?. It's not the first I've seen. Don't know if they still do but the Genisis people had one as well. Procyon and the Chemspec's 105 and 210 are green seal approved and 0 on health. Much better.

Albert

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
"Soap free" is just a maketing term. If you want green, procyon is good stuff. and it is strong enough for 90% of the jobs. It works especially well with high heat.

Farenheit251

I'm thinking there might be more to these health ratings. For instance dilimiline will crack my skin if it gets on my hands and I don't wash it off, also would probably mess me up if I drank it. Neither is a concern of mine. Peroxide does some mean burning on my fingers but I don't worry cause it shouldn't have any long term effects.

Greenie

I'm pretty sure Procyon isn't Stain Resist approved, but I could be wrong, it's been awhile.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Greenie, Procyon is safe for stain resistant carpet. They have letters from all the big carpet mills up on their site. Procyon has it’s draw backs but, you would have a very hard time finding a more effective cleaner that has NO VOC’s as defined by EPA.

R

R W

ACE said:
Greenie, Procyon is safe for stain resistant carpet. They have letters from all the big carpet mills up on their site. Procyon has it’s draw backs but, you would have a very hard time finding a more effective cleaner that has NO VOC’s as defined by EPA.

Agreed....Procyon has all the certs from all the mills, unless they have changed recently. I know a lot of CC'ers on this board think Procyon is just "snake oil.....er...powder", but I've been using it well over 15 years. It was called Power or Powder Plus back in them old days. I think I'm single handedly keeping Ivan Day in business!

G

I kinda like the bad information on Procyon, that way I hope it keeps the price down (eats brass, not compatible with stain resist, keep it coming ;) ). I pay $2.99/lb to refill my jug at my local supply, each job takes about 16oz, I have a water softner and could use less, but I don't mind using full strength, and for worse jobs, they recommend using 24oz. Good company to work with as well, I've called several times to ask questions. I once ran out of the powder on a real nasty, and I asked if I could use the Procyon Tile/Grout cleaner on it 12.5PH and they gave the thumbs up only for the nasties.

Rex Tyus

I wear gloves. I don't put my detergents in my eyes. I make it a habit NOT to drink anything I am going to apply to the floor. I also have a FIRM rule about NOT drinking my waste water.

Therefore I am able to use products that work. I am not limited to what is "green"(whatever the hell that means). :mrgreen:

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I used procyon for years. An awesome clean. It DID eat my brass...saw it brutha, this ain't no ruma.

Sometimes I think it is worth it.

I can't wait for my spotter bottles to come in.
I just got a woosh in my pants. :wink:

R

R W

Brian Robison said:
I used procyon for years. An awesome clean. It DID eat my brass...saw it brutha, this ain't no ruma.

I must have a different type of brass. Mine is still in good shape after 5+ years of exclusive Procyon use. Maybe it's the Californication of your water out there......

G

I don't know about the brass thing either. The only thing it touches is the Hydroforce brass metering tip going out. Maybe it helps that I have a water softner.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
R W said:
[quote="Brian Robison":1thhog80]I used procyon for years. An awesome clean. It DID eat my brass...saw it brutha, this ain't no ruma.

I must have a different type of brass. Mine is still in good shape after 5+ years of exclusive Procyon use. Maybe it's the Californication of your water out there......[/quote:1thhog80]

You may be onto something.
The other cleaners didn't do it.
Go figure

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
It has a small amount of phosphoric acid in it. I think it's added as a water softing agent. If it eats brass it's not that big of deal assuming you have last step injection. with the lower cost you can buy lots of brass.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Rex Tyus said:
I wear gloves. I don't put my detergents in my eyes. I make it a habit NOT to drink anything I am going to apply to the floor. I also have a FIRM rule about NOT drinking my waste water.

Therefore I am able to use products that work. I am not limited to what is "green"(whatever the hell that means). :mrgreen:

Rex, you have to keep in mind you are aerosolizing the cleaning products you use with HWE. Green to me is safe for #1 me #2 my customers #3 carpets #4 the environment. Allot of products claim green because they are biodegradable or all natural. That’s great, but People first! I actually used to work for a guy that would sometimes drink Procyon in front of his customers to show them how safe it was. I did not follow his example in this regard.

Rex Tyus

ACE, I hear ya on the safety concern. I just believe that the majority of attention to the health issue is one of marketing vs one of safety. While I will concede we have products in our industry that are potentially more dangerous than others. I have yet to see a VALID medical study with a higher rate of health issues among cleaners than the general poputlation. The "Green" marketing machine will use works like "greater risk" with NO medical evidence to support any claims.

Is it true you can inject enough butyl in a rat to cause liver failure? Certainly. Is there ANY record of a higher rate of liver disease of carpet cleaners than the general population? NO. We could go item by item with the "bad" products but you get the idea. If it makes you "feel" better about things, or it is a good marketing gimmick for you then I truly wish you well with it.

R

R W

Rex Tyus said:
ACE, I hear ya on the safety concern. I just believe that the majority of attention to the health issue is one of marketing vs one of safety. While I will concede we have products in our industry that are potentially more dangerous than others. I have yet to see a VALID medical study with a higher rate of health issues among cleaners than the general poputlation. The "Green" marketing machine will use works like "greater risk" with NO medical evidence to support any claims.

Is it true you can inject enough butyl in a rat to cause liver failure? Certainly. Is there ANY record of a higher rate of liver disease of carpet cleaners than the general population? NO. We could go item by item with the "bad" products but you get the idea. If it makes you "feel" better about things, or it is a good marketing gimmick for you then I truly wish you well with it.

I'm concerned about what I breathe and touch in my chems. Also concerned about my customers safety. I have had and currently have friends dying that I worked with for 30 years. Cancer of body parts, but mostly liver and prostate. These were workers that worked the assembly line with me at GM. All worked around chemicals....all hazardous, such as solvent cleaners, windshield glass primers, glues. All had warnings attached to them, but the workers chose not to take precautions when using. I always chose to stay off those jobs (although they were the easiest in the plant) I saw guys pouring triclorethene 1,1,1 (spelling?) right from the jug on their hands to clean off urethane (windshield sealer/glue). Maybe I'll get sick down the road from GM chems, but I won't get sick from my CC chems.

Rex Tyus

R W said:
I'm concerned about what I breathe and touch in my chems. Also concerned about my customers safety. I have had and currently have friends dying that I worked with for 30 years. Cancer of body parts, but mostly liver and prostate. These were workers that worked the assembly line with me at GM. All worked around chemicals....all hazardous, such as solvent cleaners, windshield glass primers, glues. All had warnings attached to them, but the workers chose not to take precautions when using. I always chose to stay off those jobs (although they were the easiest in the plant) I saw guys pouring triclorethene 1,1,1 (spelling?) right from the jug on their hands to clean off urethane (windshield sealer/glue). Maybe I'll get sick down the road from GM chems, but I won't get sick from my CC chems.

RW I understand what you are saying and I respect it. But from a practical point of view there is no evidence on a national scale that the rate of disease be it cancer, liver, failure, respiratory, or..... is any greater in groups or individuals exposed to said chemicals than the population at large. One reason cigarette smoking is so damned is there IS a much higher rate of illness with smokers than non smokers. If there were a real linkage you can bet your healthy body the green manufacturers would be posting it on every ad print they could afford.

Mike Draper

There is no 100% proof that smoking causes cancer either. If it was proven that it didn't cause cancer, than everyone would get cancer, not just some people. It's better to play it safe though, so I don't smoke.

Rex Tyus

Mike Draper said:
There is no 100% proof that smoking causes cancer either. If it was proven that it didn't cause cancer, than everyone would get cancer, not just some people. It's better to play it safe though, so I don't smoke.

I never said there was. What I said was there are studies (many of them) that shows a much higher rate of a numer of health issues in smokers vs non smokers. Such studies donot exist as it pertains to using powerburst vs perfumed water.

Like I said, if it makes you feel better about things then use the water. If you can cut out a niche market then do it. Just don't try and make everyone that employs logic, conform to the hysteria of the "green" chemical suppliers.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Mike Draper said:

It just raises your chances based on how many smokers get cancer compared to non smokers.
Bullshit studies
I've always said (and someone said it before me)
Studies show what they WANT to show...

If they don't show what they want to show, they just redo the study to show what they want to show.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
With that said
You would have to some dumb M'er F'ers to light something on fire and inhale the smoke from it.
What the hell are you thinking....how do you NOT know.

No studies showing that eating dog shit will cause penile shrinkage but I am still not eating it...
not from the shrinkage thing but because
I know it is a stupid damn thing to do. Hello?

G

ODIN said:
Proycon the biggest con job or one of the biggest con jobs in our industry

STPP

http://www.chemistrystore.com

look it up and save tons of cash

I don't mind being conned by something that is cheaper to get for me locally 2.99/lb, and works just as good as the chemicals. If they raise the price then I'll start buying in bulk and put on the lab coat ;)

DevilDog

Do people actually take Brevik seriously? I mean really...how cheap does something have to get before he says it is ok to use?

My God.

My vote for a safe cleaner is Planet Guard...love the stuff...although that Pros Choice stuff worked pretty good yesterday. I also like MB Soap Free but I don't think it has the "power" of Planet Guard or the Pros Choice stuff.

Listen, when your liver is shot or your pancreas looks like a shotgun hit it or your lungs have tumors the size of golf balls or your brain has all sorts of things in it that should not be there....then you will realize you should have used safer stuff.

If you can smell it...it is in the air and probably in your lungs. Your skin is the biggest organ you all have...and almost anything that touches your skin is in YOUR blood stream within 30 seconds...which means it is going through your organs.

So learn to clean with much safer stuff and you just might live longer than what are you are to live at your present pace.

You lazy asses that try to rush through every job by throwing dangerous crap on the carpets should be ashamed of yourself.

When you have six nipples....remember what I said.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom