Customers carpet "buckling"

Name
R.J. Povio
Yesterday we had a customer call and say that her carpet buckled after we cleaned it. The kicker is that we cleaned the carpet over 5 months ago and she said the the problem has just occurred. Our first question was did you move/slide heavy furniture across the carpet....her response was no.

She seems pissed over the phone....what could be causes for this? What would your response be?

The carpet is polyester that is probably 10 years old. Most likely a builders grade and is not on a concrete floor. Its in a living room and dinning room combo on plywood above a basement. We cleaned a hall, master bedroom, and a bathroom all with the same carpet too. Those areas supposedly have no "buckling". We use truckmounted steam cleaning method. We also cleaned this customers same exact carpet about 2 years prior to this past cleaning(same carpet too) with no problems.

I have seen many carpets swell with waves after cleaning, due to the latex backing and such. But that happens right after cleaning. Then after it dries the carpet lays right back down the way it was prior to cleaning. I have not seen the "problem" yet. I am just wondering what you guys would suggest and or say to this customer. We are not planning on paying for a stretch if thats what this carpet needs.

dday

Better call The Clean Trust!

It isn't your problem - tell her that it is a poor installation that has now become manifest. She needs to take it to the retailer/installer.

Chris A

Name
Chris
I would very politely tell her to pound sand, and call an installer.

tim

I'm guessing high humidity, maybe from a leaky basement. I have seen that on a flood job. The carpet on a church platform buckled even though it didn't get wet but the area under the platform did. Either way, you had nothing to do with it . I would offer to check the basement, may have a water job or recommend a repair guy.

Brian H

Name
Brian H
Tell her to wait 72 hours and it will return to it's original shape. I get those type calls occassionally and 99.9% of the time the carpet tightens back up all on it's own.

The odd time that it doesn't go down, I contract an installer to restretch the carpet. It's not worth the fight to try and convince the homeowner that we weren't responsible.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Brian H said:
Tell her to wait 72 hours and it will return to it's original shape.

Brian, you might of missed this part;

"we cleaned the carpet over 5 months ago and she said the the problem has just occurred"

not as important, but also this

"The carpet is polyester that is probably 10 years old."

my "guess" is, a friend, or installer, or carpet salesman, maybe even a shifty chem-lie schmuck ..
told her steam cleaning ruined it

given the problem "just occurred" 5 MONTHS after you cleaned it, think I'd ask her how/why she thinks YOU caused it.
then go from there

.L.T.A.

K P

First clue of a wacko customer...it was 5 months ago,she probably said she was meaning to call sooner.Had one at a business call me 4 months later and say I might have left some residue,"sure it wasnt the 150 people a day coming through"?

Brian H

Name
Brian H
I guess it helps for me to read the entire post!! :oops:

I agree with Larry's advice. Asking her why after 5 months it is now occuring and what does she think you did to cause it.

It may be that no power stretcher was used on the entire job and the only area that it really is showing up is the larger room.

Oh and I doubt that I would pay to restretch it either.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Just an :idea:

When we owned a flooring store years ago...

Many installation we performed in January...in mobile homes..COLD CARPET BACKING..
Would BUCKLE...over the summer months ....while the SNOWBIRDS went home..up NORTH..

The mobile homes were left with NO "AC"...The mobiles would get in EXCESS of 120 degrees inside...
We could count on a couple of re stretches..THE FOLLOWING YEAR.... :oops:

I notice you are located in NY...!

Is this home in the area that was WITHOUT power for an extended period of time... :?:

If so....The SUDDEN heating of the home...when power was returned to the premises...may be the
CULPRIT..... :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

It should RELAX... !gotcha!
And so should you... somewhat amus

Either way...NOT your problem... !gotcha!

Name
R.J. Povio
This custy lives in the home year round. Shes an elderly lady, so I am sure the heat is turned up or at least at room temp. I will look into the suggestions that you are all mentioning. I am not worried really....i am just curious as to how some might handle the situation.

I will definitely check her basement for moisture problems! Elderly people sometimes do not go in there basements because of stairs. This house is a ranch/patio type home with a full basement.

S

sam miller

I would tell her cleaning doesnt cause buckling or carpet s to come loose. usually carpet need t restretched after 4 to 5 years bacause the carpet relaxs releases .

Still if You did it it would have swelled rigth away not 5 months later and it would have settled after 2 to 3 days. You could inspect for humidity that could cause swelling and offer her a great rate on.

Just because she believes its your fault doesnt mean she's right! Just trying to blame someone to get it fixed, tell her if You did it you wouldnt hesitate to fix it, but theres never been a carpet cleaner who caused carpets to buckle 5 months after the cleaning.

And for You to take responsibility for something You couldnt have done isnt fair either she may have a lifetime guarantee on the install for the carpet people who installed suggest politly she find out! They may fix it for free!

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
That's the kind of crap that gets me brainstorming on ideas to get out of the service sector.
I hate how poor installation, cheep building materials, pet damage becomes my responsibility by walking in their door.

S

sam miller

sorry about all the typos, I suck at this internet crap, feel like I was drunk typing rereading that last post! doah Usually there's a explanation go look and see! and let us know.

Larry Holder

If the home is on a crawl space, look under the house to see if there is a moisture barrier on the ground.

Name
R.J. Povio
the floor is not above a crawl space. It is above a full 13-15 course dry as a bone basement. I inspected the bsmt myself. No musty/damp smell. Custy said that her sump pump hardly ever come on and the crock was bone dry.

I went over and look at the buckling. I told her all the things you guys said. She honestly didnt seem mad. She move over just wanted it fixed and didn't put up a fight that I told her I was paying for it. I told her I totally would if it were our fault. I told her it is not uncommon to need to have a 10 year old carpet stretched.

Thanks again for all the insight, suggestions, and things to look for!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom