Cut-back adhesive removal

Jamesh921

Name
James
I have applied epoxy (garage floor paint w/slip-resistant sprinkles) in the kitchen of a resaurant I've been doing work for.

Now, they have decided they want me to do the same behind the counter and at the entrance of the kitchen.

Problem is, this area has cut-back adhesive that, most likely, contains asbestos. I say that because the building is an old bus station that has been around since the 1920s.

Their remodeling is a month-and-a-half behind schedule (not because of me), and they want me to start removing the adhesive on monday.

I know you can't grind/sand/pulverize asbestos, so I know I'll need to use a liquid adhesive remover.

For those of you that have experience with this type of removal, what product would you use?

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
I don't know if anyone is aware of this but cutback adhesive contain more friable fibers than the tile itself. Now I would think Dale would know this. This would be my concern what if . I would not do it. I faced this in a school before. I was not about to risk a health hazard or a lawsuit. Just a thought.

Jamesh921

Name
James
Most installers skim coat over "cut back" when they are applying another floorcovering. However I don't think that is an option with an epoxy coating.

I appreciate your input, but you didn't explain why this should NOT be an option for an epoxy coating. Please explain.

You might find this tool to be a suitable replacement where chemicals would normally be used. http://www.parish-supply.com/cleanworks_11.htm

Um, well, as far as I know we're not suppose to pulverize asbestose and make it become airborne.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
because the epoxy needs a good stable surface to adhere to...a skim coat would not provide that...

THEE number 1 thing if you do it...keep it wet...as you mentioned about airborne...

fran mar didnt have anything??

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Jamesh921 said:
Most installers skim coat over "cut back" when they are applying another floorcovering. However I don't think that is an option with an epoxy coating.

I appreciate your input, but you didn't explain why this should NOT be an option for an epoxy coating. Please explain.

[quote:1lz0xgqk]You might find this tool to be a suitable replacement where chemicals would normally be used. http://www.parish-supply.com/cleanworks_11.htm

Um, well, as far as I know we're not suppose to pulverize asbestose and make it become airborne.[/quote:1lz0xgqk]

No sanding, scraping , pulverzing. Most important is to keep it wet.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
I am wondering an ardex skim coat would not be a suitable to bond with the floor . What about also using a latex primer for better adhesion ?

Jamesh921

Name
James
Well, it's a mute point now. When I arrived to start this morning she decided she'd just leave the laminate down that's already on the floor.

She's way over budget on this project so I think it's a money issue.

I still get to install the carpet next week though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom