Decision time the pto kiiled the van

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
So I pulled out the pos pto and took the van around the block to mak sure I didn't break anything and the head gasket blew. the van has 74K and 4500 hours on tm

I have a friend that has a nice enclosed enclosed trailer that he will sell me on payments and get a truck this weekend and be going by tuesday and repair van keep trailer and put a back up unit in it

My other choice is to find a van but I would be closed for over a week waiting for an answer on financing and install of tm

I have a waiting list right now and have lost at least 500 in work already.
So how bad is it dealing with a trailer?

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
That sucks man
I’m in about the same boat. I’m waiting for a install hacking out the jobs any way I can. I barrowed a mytee speedster for now and might be able to keep the truckmount running for awhile.
All you can do is try to keep a good attitude and buy, barrow, beg friends to get the work done.

It’s a real wake up call to the fact that equipment deprecates crazy fast. It’s best to have a plan in place for rotation of equipment before it gets anywhere near the end of its useful life.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
when you get up and rolling again you might try and find a cheap tm and van to use as a back up. I found a used steam action slide in for 3200 and put it in a older van thats all paid for . It has really gave me peace of mind because its like a rule of nature that if your equipment goes down eveyone will end up wanting you to come work. I have a 6x10 trailer that we use for vct , and It can really be a nip in the ass trying to park that thing in congested areas

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Idk if I should repair the van. It has over 200k on motor or get a trailer and buy a truck at a lot that will finance me. Business finance is out at this time. Haven't slept for days trying to figure out what to do.
Thank you

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Don’t go to the sharks and don’t buy into some other POS that only kicks this can down the road a few months or a year. Ford and GM will usually finance equipment of around 15k with purchase of a new van at very low APR.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
I found a truck at carmax only 45 k on a 05 f-150 low apr and I can finance for longer than a business loan so payments are lower. Then fix van in 6 months and rebulid pto as a slide in put it in the van and run the van till it dies. Credit will be better in a year and I get a better rate on a business loan and have a down payment. How does that sound? Am I thinking crazy I haven't slept since yesterday so I'm not thinking to well

Thank You

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Louis;

The key factor is to end up with a reliable TM . . .

Rebuilding a ProChem PTO into a slide-in is a difficult & time-consuming job.

I understand that the finances are tight,

but making sure you end up with a dependable TM is the most important consideration.

I would probably put the majority of the money into the TM.

Larry

Last edited:

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
so do you have a back up truckmount thats a slide in? or what are your thoughts abpout what your wanting to put in this trailor? I would say if you have a slide in , I would purchase a used van. I found a really nice used for for cheap, I think a trailor would be a really big pain. so are you really trying to rebuild the direct drive as larry thinks or do you have a another machine?

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
So I pulled out the pos pto
the van has 74K and 4500 hours on tm
put a back up unit in it
Idk if I should repair the van. It has over 200k on motor or get a trailer and buy a truck /QUOTE]

Louis, I think you need to get some sleep. get your doctor to write a script for a sleeping pill or xanex or something.
Your story doesn't add up.. first you said the van only had 45K miles and then you said it had over 200k? which is it?
Your PTO only has 4500 but its a piece of shit? Why keep it? Converting that to a slide in doesn't sound like an easy or cheap conversion but I may be wrong.
Buy a truck AND trailer to pull your slide-in around? Do you already have your slide in? Truck and trailer and you still have to spend more money on the install and outfit your trailer for work? Why not invest in a decent long body van, install your slide in (if you already have one and its a decent unit that will work for the next few years problem free) and get back to work?
Then you can set aside money to get another van and recon your PTO if its worth keeping or sell it/part it out and use the money for upgrading your slide in a couple years.

Get some rest. You don't want to make a big mistake because you're not thinking clearly due to being over-tired.

Good luck!
Bill

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Fastest, cheapest thing to do is repair the head gasket and install the unit in the current van.

FredC

Village Idiot
Your story doesn't add up.. first you said the van only had 45K miles and then you said it had over 200k? which is it?

He said on the motor so I think he means mileage equivalent.

4500 hours * 30 = 135000 miles

plus the actual miles

FredC

Village Idiot
Since you have a rebuilt steamway. Repair the head gasket.....or drop a low mileage engine in the van.

edit: and are you positive you have returned the cooling system to its OEM setup?

Last edited:

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Forget the truck and trailer idea, you would be committing yourself financially to something that you won't want to use long term. Like Fred said if your van is adequate otherwise get it fixed, then make a plan to upgrade when it best suits you.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
The van is done lower end making noise and head gasket would blow it out. The trailer I just got is a 2008 6 x 10 brand new from a friend that had it in storage and is going to let me make payments to him. I found a f-150 2005 with 45k on it for $250 a month.

Yes I have a slide in that I bulit 22hp Kohler 45 blower and little giant #3 Simple tm ready to go.

I don't have enough to put down on a van and can't afford a big payment now and I can't get any other financing. I have been trying for a month now. I think I might have to do a trailer for a year and see what happens I know it's going to be a big pita, If I could get a loan for 5k I would get a van but they will not do that. But they will sell me a truck.

I need a truck cuz my little s-10 has 168K and is not going to last much longer. The new truck will take the place of the van and truck. I hate being stuck like this but seems like the only way out at this time.

Still have not slept and I can't eat.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Yes I have a slide in that I bulit 22hp Kohler 45 blower and little giant #3 Simple tm ready to go.

I don't have enough to put down on a van and can't afford a big payment now and I can't get any other financing. I have been trying for a month now. I think I might have to do a trailer for a year and see what happens I know it's going to be a big pita, If I could get a loan for 5k I would get a van but they will not do that. But they will sell me a truck.

Still have not slept and I can't eat.

Quit worrying and get some sleep.

The slide-in will work for now.

Larry

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Thank you every one and Larry I'm drinking a beer now.
My only decision is to buy the ford and sell my s-10 or pull it with the s-10 and hope she lasts. It would be nice to get into a a nice ride with ac or heat after a job. My s-10 has no heater or ac the rag is the defroster lol

Jay D

Name
Jay D
Have you ever used a trailer before? are you good at backing it up? if you have used a trailer and can back it up you will be fine for now. Modesto and the central valley is not that hard to use a trailer in, But having said that a van is better than a trailer, it is just easier to use in the long run. A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do. do the trailer for now and keep your eyes on the future van purchase. Have another:very_drunk: gets some rest and tomorrow put the truckmount in your new trailer.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
The trailer thing is scary haven't really used one for 23 years when I used to drive a 24ft around town. there is going to be a stressful learning curve. My son is on the truck so I have a extra set of eyes. This pita should drive me to sell so much protector so I can get a van an make this my back up unit and never live this nightmare again.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
So I got the tm in the trailer with the waste tank and drove around with my little s-10 4 cylinder and it handled better than my v6 isuzu.
load up the rear with hose and stuff and it should balance out nice.

Jay D

Name
Jay D
I got a 1993 toyota truck w 156k miles and a backup machine in a 5X8 trailer and it pulls it fine. The s-10 will do fine, just dump the Waste tank before driving if you can, drops the weight dramactically.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
The trailer thing is scary haven't really used one for 23 years when I used to drive a 24ft around town. there is going to be a stressful learning curve. My son is on the truck so I have a extra set of eyes. This pita should drive me to sell so much protector so I can get a van an make this my back up unit and never live this nightmare again.

Find a church parking lot and go practice. a couple of hours and you will be good to go.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Well I may have found van 2011 ford 41000 miles $17,900 but ford motor credit may finance it. They said it may be aroud 300 month, it will be had through winter but nice to have a van that runs. The one I was trying to get got sold.

My only concern is the amount of mileage in such a short time. Will this van last and what is fords bumper to bumper warranty?
I am going to try to get the tm in today set up as a temp install until I see about this van. I hope to strat cleaning tomorrow with my strapped in tm.

Name
I'm Rick James
I have my back up unit that I would sale for $6,000 obo. Its a ford van 130,000 miles (windows all the way around for better visibility) a hydracat 45 slide in HM with propane heat. Machine has a new engine will less than 100 hrs, rebuilt cat pump and pretty solid. The van just had a full tune up and new brakes.

Also got a 99 jeep that is taking room in my driveway too for $4,000.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Got turned down for newer vans. How does one finance used vans under 10K. How would you buy a used tm set up if no one will give loans for used equipment. I do not want to be in this trailer for long. Too much extra work. My wife doesn't get it. She likes the extra room in the driveway and the shiny new trailer.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
1998 dodge extened van $3500 48000 miles. old city van looks like a chester van but its a van. Shiny new trailer and by a truck or old van for a year until the banks will talk to me and buy a van. What do you think

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Well I think I'm getting the 1997 dodge van 46k miles extended for $3500 new blets, hoses and not one leak on it. It had city of berkley on it where they took off the letters. I know union employees never drive fast it's not in their contract.
How does dodge vans hold up it has a 5.9 in it and it's the 3500. my wife calls it a chester van but it rides nice.

Reactions: Jay D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom