Deodorizer that lasts in rentals and apartments

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
A decade or so ago Cti made a solvent deodorizer that would linger for about a week after being sprayed. But sadly they discontinued it. I love the smell of their fresh and clean deodorizer but I want something that lasts for a long time. I'm looking for that pleasant smell when the landlord shows the property after cleaning.

One idea I had was to inject deodorizer into the padding in a couple areas of the unit. I could use the injectimate and put a couple of ounces in the corner of each room. My thought was that this would let it slowly wick out of the carpet and keep that great smell for much longer.

Has anyone tried this or does anyone use a product that lasts for weeks?

Reactions: Charlie Lyman

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
We have a solvent-based Deodorant (Dynachem Odor-Solv) that will give you good durability.

The Peach & the Cherry fragrance will actually end up with a slight vanilla odor as the longest lasting component.

Several apartment cleaners use a trigger sprayer to spray around the front door,
so the odor is apparent when the manager comes in days later.

http://www3.cobbcarpet.com/zen3/ind...ult&search_in_description=1&keyword=odor-solv

It is a good value for the durability.

An injection syringe could also be used for longer residual;
although several oz. in each corner would too much.

Larry

Last edited:
Reactions: Charlie Lyman

steve_64

i started using molecular modifier for this. dilute it way down and mist around the room and along the baseboards. it lasts a couple weeks and wont stain the walls or carpet, or at least it hasnt for me. landlords love the baby powder smell.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
We have a solvent-based Deodorant (Dynachem Odor-Solv) that will give you good durability.

The Peach & the Cherry fragrance will actually end up with a slight vanilla odor as the longest lasting component.

Several apartment cleaners use a trigger sprayer to spray around the front door,
so the odor is apparent when the manager comes in days later.

http://www3.cobbcarpet.com/zen3/ind...ult&search_in_description=1&keyword=odor-solv

It is a good value for the durability.

An injection syringe could also be used for longer residual;
although several oz. in each corner would too much.

Larry

Larry, I have always been a big fan of your stuff and your odor solv seems like a great price. I however have not been a fan of sweet fruity smelling deodorizers. I prefer the unique smell of something fresh and clean that the consumer couldn't purchase himself. I will order some next purchase from you and try it out. If it does what I need it might just work out.

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
You also need to be careful about how you spray it after cleaning. I have seen where the deodorizer creates spots in the carpet a week or so later. Make sure you stick to the corners and spray with only a mist if anything in the middle of the room.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I am about to place an order for some Powermax, I'm glad I saw this post, now I'll add some of this to the order.

steve_64

hey larry, can you tell me the difference between a deodorizer and a disinfectant.
not being a smart ass here, just that bane doesnt like deodorizers. was wondering what the big deal was.
i never use the word deodorize. it sounds like your using carpet fresh or something. i dont want my customers getting as confused as i am.
ok now im being a smart ass lol.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
hey larry, can you tell me the difference between a deodorizer and a disinfectant.
not being a smart ass here, just that bane doesnt like deodorizers. was wondering what the big deal was.
i never use the word deodorize. it sounds like your using carpet fresh or something. i dont want my customers getting as confused as i am.

Don't need larry for this question. Deodorizer is simply something that give a pleasant fragrance. Disinfectant kills micro organisms. Sanitizer will kill a higher percentage of them.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Don't need larry for this question. Deodorizer is simply something that give a pleasant fragrance. Disinfectant kills micro organisms. Sanitizer will kill a higher percentage of them.

Right on the first two, but "sanitize" is one of those words commonly used that really means notsomuch, but sounds like it does... ;o)

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb

Deodorizers are more widely used than sanitizers or disinfectants.

Deodorizers can work on any type of odor . . .

where disinfectants only work on odors generated by microbes.

With carpet, you can only sanitize or kill ~99% of the microbes.

Larry

Reactions: steve_64

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
simply use a pre-spray with a strong/pleasant fragrance .
Cobby's Powermax qualifies ...matter of fact, at near max RTU dilutions, it can be TOO strong when applying and cleaning .
Fortunately, you don't need to use the ridiculously high amount he suggests on the label

if you want to cheat, spritz a little smell good (like Nil-Odor) and dribble some in the HVAC
Nil-Odor has a ton of fragrances to choose from too...all compatible with cleaning chems and 5th gen nylon .
Cucumber-Mellon is one of my favorites of theirs

..L.T.A.

steve_64

Larry

thanks larry. so what do quats do? i use to know this stuff or learned it once upon a time but its been awhile since i talked or read about it.i need to take a class again.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I agree with Steve, odor blocks. UnSmoke has "Bad Odor Blocks" and COC crystal odor counteractant that could be used in the plenum to distribute a pleasant odor throughout the apartment. At least this way if the new occupant is going to complain of the new fragrance (they always do) then you can remove the source easily.

harryhides

Name
Tony
I have also used with considerable success this method -
A small open container with some Potpourri in several of the HVAC vents.

steve_64

only $3.67?
ive also started telling landlords to open the windows and air it out before showing. i rarely have anyone ask about fragrance anymore. sometimes they miss the obvious and easiest solution.
maybe im just getting better at getting rid of pesky odors too.

Dmreed4311

Supportive Member
Name
David Reed
This is what you are looking for, it lasts for weeks, I sprayed it on my back patio a week ago because my dog pees on it and it still smells strong, I use this product to eliminate curry in apartments with great sucsess.

http://www.nclonline.com/products/categories

it is called eternity and is under the waterbased odor control products

Last edited:

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
I just received another 5 gallon pail of cherry odor solve from Cobb.

It's my signature scent. Makes the house smell "cherry".

You have to be careful with it or somebody could get hurt. Yes, it's that powerful!

stock-photo-emoticon-cherry-bomb-with-fire-in-his-eyes-and-a-lit-fuse-1724729.jpg

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink

Larry

That isn't entirely accurate because your biggest variable is air quality in area being cleaned. 99% means you've reached a level of disinfection, 100% = sterile. Many people confuse sterile, and sanitize, which is somewhere around 50-60%. The best thing to do is not put numbers in your literature, and simply stating you're cleaning and deodorizing. When you make use numbers and make claims, its gets a little complicated if it came to anything legal. We're only cleaning, keep it simple.

I agree, the odor blocks would work great.

amygeorge

Supportive Member
Name
Amy Lorance
I have an apartment complex that loves the odor blocks. They order 20 at a time. They put them in the air conditioner vents and they last for a good bit.

amygeorge

PCCN

Have to agree. The smell of cherry deodorizer makes one think of a nasty gas station restroom where one has sprayed and covered up the odors. Definitely go with a fresh, lighter , clean scent.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom