Did I buy a f#*%king lemon?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
God damn it. The guy I bought it from didn’t mention a single thing about it. He knew I’m completely new to this and have never used a TM before and the dude runs an entire fleet, and when I asked him the steps to starting up and running the machine it was never mentioned. I’ve seen so many different machines on YouTube where they pull the choke out and push it back in after starting but there’s no clear indication of one on my machine, so I assumed it didn’t have one
Looking at a close up of your engine it says it is EFI. It won't have a choke or shouldn't need one. The necessary fuel/air mixture is managed by the computer. I think your back to a fuel issue or a faulty computer. Kohler has a diagnostic program for that engine. Your mechanic should be able to figure it out.

Anthony E

Name
Anthony Edwards
Looking at a close up of your engine it says it is EFI. It won't have a choke or shouldn't need one. The necessary fuel/air mixture is managed by the computer. I think your back to a fuel issue or a faulty computer. Kohler has a diagnostic program for that engine. Your mechanic should be able to figure it out.
Alright I’m gonna test it out again and see if anything goes wrong. If it does I’ll bring all of this up to him and see if he can figure it out. Oh someone mentioned clogged filters too but he checked them all and said they were practically brand new

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Another reason you’re hearing the boom booms could be some blockage in the engine exhaust. I don’t know how it could be blocked since it’s a newer machine, but it’s worth a try to look

Anthony E

Name
Anthony Edwards
Another reason you’re hearing the boom booms could be some blockage in the engine exhaust. I don’t know how it could be blocked since it’s a newer machine, but it’s worth a try to look
That’s exactly what the dude that sold it to me said, that he doesn’t know how it could be having issues cause it’s still so new. That’s the reason we bought it too but oh well, it was still an amazing deal so we’ll just handle any issues that happen.

Thank you guys, I’ll come back to this with my mechanic if the issues keep up.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
engine.. fuel vapor lock???

Tony, are you using diesel fuel or K-1 in your water heater?
Use K1, you'll have less trouble AND deisel stink

Fuel burners aren't the best choice for inexperienced and/or non mechanical types.
More things going on to make them run = more things to go wonky.
Get familiar with all the components of the flame system and how they work together

There should be y-tube vids
goggle "fuel fired burners"
Most will be related to home heating, but they all work basically the same
Atomized fuel blown across ingniters (the "pilot light" of fuel fired systems)
Only it's not a flame, but continuous arc spark

here's an idiot, but it will help you get some understanding

here's some GI issue

get to know that burner and the quirks of fuel fired systems .
cause you ain't lived til you see 3ft high flame shooting out of the vent stack.....

.L.T.A.

pee-azzzz

here's a look at a typical igniter

1593968913425.png

Reactions: Cleanworks

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
I ran one of the laverwash diesel water heaters from the Eldiablo on my last Aerotech. The new Aerotech produces incredible heat, so I don't need it on the new one. There is an electronic control board on the side the the heater that controls the fuel pump on the heater in a 3x3" white plastic junction box. If the board goes bad it will effect fuel delivery. I will post a picture tomorrow when I get it down off the shelf.

Name
BradFenstermaker
How does the Machine produce the 110 volts to produce the spark??

My Powermatic had a pulley driven generator.

I believe the El Sucko I mean Diablo use an inverter.

Don't expect the spark to be hot enough if your not running at full rpm.

I use to know every damn thing about fuel burner. You really need to spend a few hours reading the machine manual.

Like Larry said run K1. Not as easily available. Also make sure you have a good micron fuel filter in line before the burner from the fuel tank.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
How does the Machine produce the 110 volts to produce the spark??

My Powermatic had a pulley driven generator.

I believe the El Sucko I mean Diablo use an inverter.

Don't expect the spark to be hot enough if your not running at full rpm.

I use to know every damn thing about fuel burner. You really need to spend a few hours reading the machine manual.

Like Larry said run K1. Not as easily available. Also make sure you have a good micron fuel filter in line before the burner from the fuel tank.

The El D was made with the inverter until about 12 years ago...back in 2008 or 2009 they stared making them with a belt driven generator and they ditched the inverters.

I had an inverter El D re-made into a generator by Masterblend back then. So I know for a fact they were not making them with inverters for over a decade.

Anthony E

Name
Anthony Edwards
engine.. fuel vapor lock???

Tony, are you using diesel fuel or K-1 in your water heater?
Use K1, you'll have less trouble AND deisel stink

Fuel burners aren't the best choice for inexperienced and/or non mechanical types.
More things going on to make them run = more things to go wonky.
Get familiar with all the components of the flame system and how they work together

There should be y-tube vids
goggle "fuel fired burners"
Most will be related to home heating, but they all work basically the same
Atomized fuel blown across ingniters (the "pilot light" of fuel fired systems)
Only it's not a flame, but continuous arc spark

here's an idiot, but it will help you get some understanding

here's some GI issue

get to know that burner and the quirks of fuel fired systems .
cause you ain't lived til you see 3ft high flame shooting out of the vent stack.....

.L.T.A.

pee-azzzz

here's a look at a typical igniter

View attachment 100749

Awesome advice Larry thank you. I’m running diesel in it now but could switch over to kerosene. Yea I didn’t realize that it would be so much trouble using a fuel burner, but I’m stuck with it now so it is what it is. Thankfully my brother in law works for Boeing and had a good understanding of the machine just from looking at it so I’m sure he could figure this shit out.

Jesus Christ haha in the case that I have one of those flames shooting out of my machine (which seems possible with how much damn trouble It’s been giving me) what the hell do I do? Shut it off back away and pray for the best? Thanks for reminding me I need an extinguisher on my van too 😂

I’ll check out all the vids right now

Anthony E

Name
Anthony Edwards
I ran one of the laverwash diesel water heaters from the Eldiablo on my last Aerotech. The new Aerotech produces incredible heat, so I don't need it on the new one. There is an electronic control board on the side the the heater that controls the fuel pump on the heater in a 3x3" white plastic junction box. If the board goes bad it will effect fuel delivery. I will post a picture tomorrow when I get it down off the shelf.
Awesome thank you!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
in the case that I have one of those flames shooting out of my machine (which seems possible with how much damn trouble It’s been giving me) what the hell do I do? Shut it off back away and pray for the best?

shut it off .
that stops the fuel and igniter spark

and yes, you should have a fire extinguisher too regardless of heat system .

.L.T.A.

scotty747

The fire breather has nothing to do with the engine trouble. Maybe you sucked in a rag like Mark? Fuel filter is where id check first, then pump, then spark plugs and wires. Don't just check the volts, check the amps too. 12 volts is meaningless without enough amperage. Make sure the pump, blower, and generator aren't bogging down the engine, which is unlikely if it ran for an hour with the mechanic. Check the air filter too. Its rarely a problem but can make it run too rich if theres not enough air for a proper air/fuel mixture on an efi.

Anthony E

Name
Anthony Edwards
The fire breather has nothing to do with the engine trouble. Maybe you sucked in a rag like Mark? Fuel filter is where id check first, then pump, then spark plugs and wires. Don't just check the volts, check the amps too. 12 volts is meaningless without enough amperage. Make sure the pump, blower, and generator aren't bogging down the engine, which is unlikely if it ran for an hour with the mechanic. Check the air filter too. Its rarely a problem but can make it run too rich if theres not enough air for a proper air/fuel mixture on an efi.
The mechanic checked everything, that’s why I’m wondering what the hell is wrong. I guess I’ll just keep using it until the problem becomes more clear

scotty747

Fuel pumps can run a while before getting hot and crapping out. It probably has a small filter screwed into it as well. Easy to check.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom