Did I get ripped off?

Jtuseo

Name
Big Hoss
I ahve a 2004 chevy astro van. My fuel pump is in the gas tank. I needed a new fuel pump. They charged me $690. New fuel pump they said it is the same as the factory one. They had to drop my gas tank to do the job. What do you think?

Chris A

Name
Chris
I don't know your particular setup, but that seems reasonable to me for parts and labor...

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I found the pump for 150-200 on the net.

So the 500+ is labor, dropping the tank is no party. If he had you running the next day, you did fine.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Seems a bit high. I had several Astros. One common problem they have is that the baffle in the gas tank will get loose and knock off the fitting to the gas pump. Drop tank to fix to re-connect. Had to have that done several times. Fell off once while I was across the country on a vacation.(Not fun)I guess you could of done it yourself. To connect that little plastic fitting was $250 each time.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Been there bro. I had to have mine replaced years ago and it was a pretty high price to pay.

I had an astro with my first porty in 03 (HWE cleaning anyway) and I had to replace that and the tranny at about 100,000 miles.

The tranny was $1800.00...... Have you had to do that one yet?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Jtuseo said:
I ahve a 2004 chevy astro van. My fuel pump is in the gas tank. I needed a new fuel pump. They charged me $690. New fuel pump they said it is the same as the factory one. They had to drop my gas tank to do the job. What do you think?

i don't think you got ripped off

I figure they made a little on the pump (they bought it at their dealer cost and sold it to you for retail)
.. that's standard in any biz though.

as Coop said, dropping a tank ain't no picnic ...and labor isn't cheap at "reputable" shops

May of been other hardware involved too??
(new tank straps and/or wiring harness)

..L.T.A.

Connor

Name
Connor
Seven fiddy is usually the range for such work. Give or take 100 bucks.

I used to like the Astro, but considering they haven't been made since 2005, they are getting long in the tooth to say the least.

Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Lyman
You could have safed some money and cut a hole in the floor to get at it.3 years ago I paid 500 for a full size van fuel pump put in.

Jerry

Supportive Member
Sounds about right. They had my 1st truck (2000 Chevy 1 ton) in the shop a whole day, pump-labor, towing, etc ran about $1100 if I remember.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
The fuel pump on my astro has been going out for 4 years! It wines and studders in the morning. I have a new one but it hasnt gone out yet. Plus the gas gauge doesnt work. Lol the cleaning girls always run out of gas. I say... Reset the trip and put gas in every 300 miles. And they dont get it

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

John Watson

Last Mikeyfest I attended, Ol Ernie G a drivin my Caddy, coming down I think its 17. Runs out of gas, Heck me and my Helen made it the year before on 2 tanks, Ernie has a lead foot. The caddy would not pick up the new gas. $1,000 Smackers for the new fuel pump.

Name
Lee Stockwell
A local shop charged me $400 and change for a Bosch fuel pump and labor dropping the tank on E350 Ford van.

Wrecker took it in for $50. Fortunately was at the Post office and not on a job.
I didn't mind the cost, just the day of downtime.

Since then made a hole and cover on the van floor so I can do it quickly myself if it happens again.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Lee my new ford edge.... U pull up the back seat like ur folding it. Theres a door. U lift it up, and theres the fuel pump. Same on my mercury mariner. Atleast ford is using some common sense now. Can be changed in 5 minutes

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
joeynbgky said:
The fuel pump on my astro has been going out for 4 years! It wines and studders in the morning. I have a new one but it hasnt gone out yet. Plus the gas gauge doesnt work. Lol the cleaning girls always run out of gas. I say... Reset the trip and put gas in every 300 miles. And they dont get it

So you send your female employees out in a van with a fuel pump problem AND a broken gauge knowing they frequently run out of gas and think that"s funny and blame them because they "don't get it"???

Get it fixed for them dumbshit.

That can be a disaster in the making if that van dies in the wrong place at the wrong time.
You are ultimately responsible for their safety.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
True.... But... Its safe. And my sister who drives it runs out of gas in everything she drives! I have been putting gas in it.for the last few months for them. She asked today, if I could buy them one if those cute ford transits. So the astro has run its course.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I had to get an o-ring replaced on my son's grand am. cost about $400. They dropped the tank and put a $40 part on. Sounds like a good price for what you got. I would have done it, but I didn't want to drop a gas tank.

Fred H

joeynbgky said:
Lee my new ford edge.... U pull up the back seat like ur folding it. Theres a door. U lift it up, and theres the fuel pump. Same on my mercury mariner. Atleast ford is using some common sense now. Can be changed in 5 minutes

Yeah, Ford is right on the cutting edge. I had a 1979 SAAB 900 Turbo Hatchback that had fuel pump access through the hatchback floor. ( never had a problem with the pump ) I would use the SAAB to haul a small porty, a 175 and bonnets, host machines and host, vacuums and sprayers, wish I had pics.

glenboy

Name
GLEN
I paid 860 at the dealership,GM. and they have a lifetime warranty on the pump and i pay the labor.i burned up a carquest delphi supposed to be OEM pump in 3 years :shock: :shock:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom